New Cordless Tools

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The trick I saw is to hide the powertools in storage totes and then just pay for the totes on your way out through the self checkout.
Yeah most of the stores have caught onto that and are pretty diligent about checking them now but I’m sure a fair amount still make it out.

Tonkaman

For anyone looking to buy new tools I highly recommend going to CFC. We use them almost exclusively for our tools at work and they get us great deals. Keep in mind they cater mostly to contractors so they will be better suited toy the guy who wants to buy exactly what he needs not a big bundle deal. In fact they buy tool packages, then split up the components. They will sell all the tools, batteries, bags, and chargers individually passing on the discount to you and making a nick for themselves.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I bought Kobalt 24v stuff purely because when they came out no one else had better than 18v stuff. Kobalt Batteries from Lowes are 50% cheaper than DeWalt and 24v is still 20% better than 20v battery wise. Also with their 5 year warranty- anytime I've had a problem, they've exchanged tools on the spot for a new one instead of waiting to send back stuff to DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Fewer tools yes, good enough for a home mechanic/ fabricator also yes.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My BFF Mike has an entire collection of Ryobi 18v tools. He's had them for years, and I've used them with him hundreds of times. When I finally decided to start buying cordless tools of my own, I asked for his advice. He summed up his beliefs and experience in two sentences:

1: Milwaukee is the best, and has the price tag to match.
2: whatever you do, buy any brand except Ryobi.

Despite using them for years, he had numerous complaints about Ryobi. Okay, fine. Looking for a slightly better value than Milwaukee, I ended up going with Makita. I've only got three tools so far, but to date I have been extremely pleased with them. I look forward to adding more to my collection as I need them.

$.02

The_Lobbster

Somebody's got to say it... Been happy with my Makita :D
I’ve heard great things about Makita, they seem to be the go to for a lot of wood worker/finish carpenters.

Do they have a square drive impact?

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I’ve heard great things about Makita, they seem to be the go to for a lot of wood worker/finish carpenters.

Do they have a square drive impact?
They do, I still haven't made the jump to power tools in the garage, pricewise I'm not sure if it is too different from Milwaukee so if you're starting from scratch it's a pick your color thing.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
...it's a pick your color thing.
Agreed... when we moved into our new house and I was ready to buy some power tools I went to my accountant/wife who gave me the "buy once cry once" permission on one condition.... she got to pick the color. After I explained that Makita, Milwaukee, and Dewalt are roughly on the same level for the type of work I do.

Because of this. I am now a dedicated Dewalt man. Yellow/Black was the winner in her eyes.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I run Makita tools around the shop and Ego brand on my Yard Tools, snowblower, and lawn mower. I've been very happy with both.

When I decided to buy an electric lawn mower last year, I wanted a Makita so bad just so I could use the same batteries as my tools. But when I saw the ~$750 price tag, I quickly changed my mind. I ended up with a Kobalt instead.

shortstraw8

Over my construction years I used dewalt and makita, had many tools in both that I used heavily still have a makita drill that won't die and two batteries. I wouldn't hesitate to by makita or dewalt again, never had the money for anything milwaukee. I now have rigid due to them having the kit I wanted in stock when I was ready to buy, they have served me well and I have done a lot of projects with them. The batteries have lasted longer than I expected 7yrs so far. The hammer drill/drill and impact screw gun are great no issues with anything I have thrown at them, the sawzmost and grinder have been heavily abused and keep kicking, the skill saw is great but I only use it if I need small quick cuts as it eats battery quick. I use my impact screwgun with a socket adapter to spin lugnuts on/off (after manually breaking free), pretty sure I just need to by the actual impact driver.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a WELL used Makita drill/driver set in the garage. I’d guess they are 7-10 years old ? I just rebuilt the driver last year (burned up the motor pulling decking screws from my trailer) and the drill is getting a little weak. My boys both went the DeWalt route so I bought a drill/driver version of those.

My thoughts were that I’d relegate the Makita for in house use and use the DeWalt in the garage. @ebryson has the 1/2” DeWalt impact. It’s a bad bitch and will lay some torque down. I used Milwaukee at the bacon factory (what the Maint guys had). I’d give the Milwaukee stuff the nod for performance but it does come at a price.

For the $, I like the DeWalt so far. (I still have a gas mower and string trimmer so it’s a lot like me still having a 14 bolt rear in my Jeep. One day I’ll evolve? For now, I’ll just keep washing my knuckles from dragging on the ground)

Speaking of string trimmers and going off topic: there’s GOT to be a better tool for lawn edging/trimming. I haven’t had a string trimmer that’s ever not been a cluster f*ck at the string trimmer side. Tangles and reloading with string are a pain in the ass

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Speaking of string trimmers and going off topic: there’s GOT to be a better tool for lawn edging/trimming. I haven’t had a string trimmer that’s ever not been a cluster f*ck at the string trimmer side. Tangles and reloading with string are a pain in the ass
I love my EGo trimmer. Enough power to slice through the Amazon, could probably trim my yard 5 times on one charge. Never had a tangle and takes less than a min to reload the string. Literally takes me longer to find the string cut it than it does to physically put it in the machine

ID Bronco

Red tools here, we used them for our manufacturing biz and they are worth the money. I am using a bunch of leftovers and they are still excellent.

I went with Stihl on the trimmer. Cranks every time and pretty easy to load. I'm not worried about it taking 5 minutes to do it. (my kids are pretty good at it) With a lot of yard/pasture the larger solid shaft is great.