New Moab Samurai project

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Those of you that have wheeled with my friend Jim in his gray "BADCAT" Samurai know that it is very capable, but he decided he wanted to take it up a notch. So we are gathering parts and starting on his new rig. It's going to be a slow build, but hopefully will be ready by next fall.

Here are the plans:
  • Samurai frame, tub, and hood
  • Chevy 4.3 tbi with TH350 and an Atlas
  • Dana 44 front and 12-Bolt rear salvaged from that abandoned Blazer we hauled off Kane Creek last summer. Re-built with chromo's, 5.13's, and Detroits.
  • 106" wheelbase +/-
  • 4-link rear, 3-link w/panhard front
  • Ballistic Hybrid air/coilover shocks
  • 39.5 Pitbulls
Here's a few pics. I'll update as we go.

Chief 9 Project 004 (Medium).jpg Got the Samurai for free last summer.

Chief 9 project photos 010 (Medium).jpg Had some fun with the plasma and sawzall.

IMG_0607.JPG The tub is pretty much rust-free.

IMG_0608.JPG The 4.3 should fit great.

IMG_0609.JPG Axles ready to go.

Attachments

• Chief 9 project photos 008 (Medium).jpg
    Chief 9 project photos 008 (Medium).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Wow! Chief9 is going to be a huge Sami. He'll be as big as Redroxx! Did we ever decide the failed obstacle that caused this madness? My vote is for Widowmaker.....

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Too cold and snowy to go wheelin' this weekend, so we got some done on the project. Our goals are to build a very capable rig, but it still has to be street legal (or at least legal enough to get by). Jim is retired, lives in Moab, and virtually all of his wheeling is done here (100+ trail days in 2009!), and he wants to be able to drive to and from the trails. He needs room in the back for a 40" spare tire, plus tools and room for equipment when he does trail work. So, we will be building a bed in the rear, full fender wells, and tube fenders. Here are some pics from the last few days.

Chief 9 project photos 005 (Medium).jpgWe stripped the frame of all unnecessary brackets and crossmembers, and built some sliders from 2x4 box steel. The front and rear frame tubes were extended with the same material.

Chief 9 project photos 001 (Medium).jpgSet the tub back on to make sure everything lined up.

Chief 9 project photos 002 (Medium).jpgThe front frame tubes were built 4 inches wider than stock to allow more room for the headers. We will cut the frame tubes to the correct length once we figure out exactly where the motor, radiator, etc is located.

IMG_0623.JPGWe built the basic cage structure from the A-pillar back. Jim chose and exo-design for better interior and head room. We still have more triangulation and gussets to fab, but we ran out of tubing.

IMG_0625.JPGThe cage is bolted to the sliders and rear bumper using poly bushings.

Jim ordered a TH350 and a 4-speed Atlas last week, but they probably won't be in till mid-January. In the meantime do some more work on the cage, and maybe start setting up the rear suspension.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Well, it's been snowing like crazy the last couple days in Moab, so that means no work and no wheelin. Might as well get some more done on the project.

IMG_0629.JPGThe Yukon front shafts showed up yesterday.

IMG_0631.JPGTires also came in. 39x14.5x17 Pitbull Maddogs. They measure about 38" mounted on 9.5" Allied beadlocks at 15 psi.

IMG_0632.JPGTook the cage and tub off, and flipped the frame upside down to build the control arm mounts.

IMG_0634.JPGWe used a Ruff Stuff truss and a Ballistic mount for the axle end control arms.

IMG_0635.JPGTire mounted and articulated to full stuff.

IMG_0637.JPGControl arms are 2" x .25 wall DOM lowers and 1.5" x .25 wall DOM uppers. Joints are Ballistic with weld-in adapters. The lowers are 34" and the uppers are 28.5" (center of axle to center of frame end joint). Antisquat is 80%. The small crossmember just forward of the axle will need to be moved to provide clearance for the upper control arms, and we'll need to cut a clearance hole in the bed for the axle control arm mounts at full stuff. This will give us a frame height of 21" and about 5" of uptravel on the shocks.

IMG_0638.JPGRan some diagonals from the cage to the frame to give a bit of lateral stiffness.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
We have been waiting for parts for a while, but we did get the cage welded up and painted. We set the tub in place, and bolted the cage on (temporarily), the started a front tube clip and bolted the hood back on.

Then last week, we finally got some of the parts in we have been waiting for.
Susan's Pictures 018.jpg

Put the primary spring on the rear shocks so we could check clearances, and fab'd up some mounts.
Susan's Pictures 019.jpg

Susan's Pictures 016.jpg

Boxed in the upper mounts.
IMG_0658.JPG

Set the motor and trans in place with the tube clip bolted on.
IMG_0656.JPG

Cut the tunnel out for the transmission. We'll build a new cover later.
IMG_0657.JPG

Fab'd some motor mounts using 1/4 x 2 DOM and some poly bushings.
IMG_0655.JPG

Set the front axle in place and started to fab some control arms.
IMG_0662.JPG

Starting to look like something!
IMG_0661.JPG

I'm hoping to get the front suspension built in the next week or so. The Atlas is supposed to be here in a couple of weeks, so the cage and tub will come back off then to make cross members and weld the front control arm brackets.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Man you guys and your buggy threads are going to cost me money. Whats up with all that. I have a had a buggy in my mind for a long time. HMMM summers coming. Looking good Jeff.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
So we have been making progress, but I've just been too lazy to post for awhile. The suspension is pretty much complete, as well as a few other things. Right now we are still waiting on the Atlas. We took the cage and tub back off a week or so ago, and Jim is working on some details, such as body work and painting. Hopefully the t-case will arrive soon so we can get on with it. Here are a few pics:

IMG_0666.JPG
Front shock mounts. The mounts are welded to the tube clip and bolted to the frame for easy removal.

IMG_0663.JPG
We decided to go with a single radius arm design for the front. Would have rather done a 3-link, but there was just no room to do what we wanted with this thing sitting so low. We have built a couple of similar designs with good results, so I'm hoping this one will also work well.

IMG_0665.JPG
Upper link attachment.

IMG_0671.JPG
Steering box is Toyota IFS.

IMG_0673.JPG
Frame end lower front link. The mount is sleeved all the way through the frame.

IMG_0672.JPG
15 gallon fuel cell from Summit Racing will be mounted in an angle iron frame and strapped down.

IMG_0667.JPG
The rear cargo area is just big enough to fit a full-sized spare. Since this pic was taken, we built sheet metal sides / inner fenders.

IMG_0675.JPG
Front end shot with the tire mounted.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Could I get some more pics of you front clip? I am looking to tube mine and looking for some ideas! Thanks

Right now everything is disassembled down to the frame so I can build the t-case cross member and clearance the floor. Hopefully we'll have the tub and cage back in in a few weeks, and I'll have some more pics then.