New Moab Samurai project

zukijames

looking sweet.. im moving down there thursday jeff maybe i can come check out some of these sweet zuks ive been drewling (not sure on spelling) over on the internet!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
looking sweet.. im moving down there thursday jeff maybe i can come check out some of these sweet zuks ive been drewling (not sure on spelling) over on the internet!

Congrats on the new job and the move to Moab. We'll have to get together soon.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Got some fenders built. They cover half the tire. We'll make some clip-on rubber extensions for full coverage when he needs to be street legal.

Fenders are strong enough to be used as sliders and pivot points in the rocks.
IMG_0791.JPG

The stock grill was narrowed a few inches.
IMG_0796.JPG

We used pop rivets to attach the sheet metal fender skins.

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Progress has slowed a bit in the last month (too much wheelin' going on, I guess), but we have been working as much as we can. By next weekend, we should be ready to start the wiring. Also still need to run brake lines, fuel lines, fab and exhaust system, skid plates, and lots of details. Anyway, here's some pics...

Front end.
IMG_0903.JPG

Jim put some Gen-Right louvers in the hood for heat dissipation.
IMG_0912.JPG

Here is the fuel filler and rear storage deck. The front portion of the deck hinges up for access to below.
IMG_0905.JPG

Tail/stop lights and mounted spare. He is using a 37" spare for now, but there is room for a 39".
IMG_0906.JPG

New dash with Auto-Meter guages and CB mounted. Still need to fab up a glove box and door. Heater is mounted below the dash.
IMG_0907.JPG

Another view of the dash.
IMG_0908.JPG

Engine compartment. Needs radiator overflow bottle, inner fenders, and a few other details.
IMG_0909.JPG

Rear driveshaft is in. We are waiting for the front shaft to be lengthend.
IMG_0910.JPG

Rear driveshaft, t-case end.
IMG_0911.JPG

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
It runs!!!

Finally got all of the wiring finished. It took a little while to figure out a couple gremlins, but it started up and idled this afternoon. Yee-haw!

The only major thing left now is to fab an exhaust system. Also still needs a windshield, build some skid plates, wire in the winch, make some quick-detach mud flaps, and a few other minor details. Eventually he will have a bikini top made, and get some TJ soft doors / windows for the bad weather. It's gettin' close now!

Still need to mount switches for the winch, and fab a cover for the fuse box, otherwise the interior is pretty much done.
IMG_0945.JPG

Engine bay wiring needs to be cleaned up a bit, and we need to mount a coolant overflow bottle and a few other details.
IMG_0947.JPG

The winch controller will be mounted on the inner fender on the passenger side.
IMG_0946.JPG

Splash guards will keep most of the muck of the engine.
IMG_0948.JPG

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Well, after almost 8 months in my garage, Jim drove the new rig for the first time last week! Right now it is at Moab 4x4 Outpost to get a new exhaust system fab'd up, then he needs a windshield installed. After that, it will be back here for a day or two so we can finish up the last few details. There will obviously be some tuning and adjusting, but with any luck, we'll have it out for it's first run soon (maybe next weekend!).

Now I get to start on my own re-build :greg:.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
did this thing crawl right up widomaker today? and did you get pulled over today jeff ? there was a uhp just a little ways behind you with his lights on

Yeah, it worked great! Did Rockchucker and Widowmaker no problem. There's not much else on Metal Masher that's much of a challenge, but it was a good test run. The list if issues is pretty minor...

That patrol car came up behind me really fast with no lights on, so I moved over, and he flipped on his lights and took off on down the road. Glad he wasn't after me!

zukijames

Glad it worked good and you didn't get pulled over! I was on metal masher the other day. Rock chucker took a fer tries the yota guys went up strait I had to come in from the left then go driver and turn pass why going up it. Hopefully I can do a trail with you guys soon!