planning noob run part 2

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Derek and I are looking into the HAM setup. Odds are we would be the only ones with them in our group, but the advantages of just having one is worth it. When a situation requires outside help like a medical evacuation, communication with the responders is vital when time is limited. Along with a plan to get the person to them. The terrain can make things a challenge. A HAM and a hand held GPS are probably the 2 modern equipment devices I would always have. Even if I know the area I'm in.

Spot on Chandler, you can go a step further and combine your HAM and GPS by using the APRS system and you can have real time tracking of your vehicle. So even if you did have an emergency and were not able to get a transmission out, your back up crew at home could be ready to respond to your location. It easy to play armchair quarterback but imagine if Aron Ralston would have had this on his truck, he would have likely been found several days earlier. A SPOT device is another great option for similar effect however it has a fee attached to it and provides no regular communications in the meantime. There are phone based SPOT systems but those seem extremely backwards for my uses, if I'm in a place I may get wounded or lost I'm likely not packing my cell phone, ie a slot canyon.

sixstringsteve

I do like the area of keeping it simple. Or maybe we could do Lil moab, then head over to rattlesnake. or vice versa. Or maybe I'm trying to cram too much into this event.

I'm as guilty of scope creep as anyone.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I do like the area of keeping it simple. Or maybe we could do Lil moab, then head over to rattlesnake. or vice versa. Or maybe I'm trying to cram too much into this event.

Little Moab would also work well for the event. We just a place to stage different groups and keep it fun, entertaining and low key.

sixstringsteve

yup, I think we could stage a few different things at lil moab, since there are quite a few areas to mess around, and all are close to each other. Maybe we'll do that, then those that want to wheel rattlesnake can do so after.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
yup, I think we could stage a few different things at lil moab, since there are quite a few areas to mess around, and all are close to each other. Maybe we'll do that, then those that want to wheel rattlesnake can do so after.

Perfect... camp Friday night, do the intro classes Saturday through lunch, play around for an hour or two over lunch and then split out from there.

sixstringsteve

OK, sounds like a plan. We need some volunteers to teach about each topic. It'd be nice if we could keep the intro classes fun, exciting, and down to an hour so we can rotate groups. If anyone wants tips on how to make a boring topic fun, let me know, that's what I do for a living, and it's about the only thing I'm decent at.

airmanwilliams

Derek and I are looking into the HAM setup. Odds are we would be the only ones with them in our group, but the advantages of just having one is worth it. When a situation requires outside help like a medical evacuation, communication with the responders is vital when time is limited. Along with a plan to get the person to them. The terrain can make things a challenge. A HAM and a hand held GPS are probably the 2 modern equipment devices I would always have. Even if I know the area I'm in.

exactly what I need to look at getting in my sami since I have a bad heart. thanks for the great idea

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
Spot on Chandler, you can go a step further and combine your HAM and GPS by using the APRS system and you can have real time tracking of your vehicle. So even if you did have an emergency and were not able to get a transmission out, your back up crew at home could be ready to respond to your location. It easy to play armchair quarterback but imagine if Aron Ralston would have had this on his truck, he would have likely been found several days earlier. A SPOT device is another great option for similar effect however it has a fee attached to it and provides no regular communications in the meantime. There are phone based SPOT systems but those seem extremely backwards for my uses, if I'm in a place I may get wounded or lost I'm likely not packing my cell phone, ie a slot canyon.

I got looking at the SPOT's about a month ago. If I did the fun runs you do, i would look at getting one :) Anything that requires a signal to a base terrestrial antenna is useless in most areas.

I would love to camp and be apart of this fun event. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I got looking at the SPOT's about a month ago. If I did the fun runs you do, i would look at getting one :) Anything that requires a signal to a base terrestrial antenna is useless in most areas.

I had a spot, never used it. The aprs uses ground antenas for its function, it works amazingly well even in remote sections of Utah. Here is a track from our recent 'Utah Cruiser Expedition', as you can see we traveled through some of the most remote regions of Utah in our corner to corner on dirt run:

Map.jpg

Each red dot represents a connection with a repeater, offering a vehicle ID, gps coord, speed, time, etc. With a more complex system you can even patch out a message ie. stuck here broken Jeep axle :D

plaidfro

Sounds like it is coming together nicely. Winching, Wheeling, and Communications are my preferred topics of learning.

I am a HAM as well, KD7UPQ. I have a little Yaesu FT-60r... It would be nice to chat with some other HAMs while out there.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
I had a spot, never used it. The aprs uses ground antenas for its function, it works amazingly well even in remote sections of Utah. Here is a track from our recent 'Utah Cruiser Expedition', as you can see we traveled through some of the most remote regions of Utah in our corner to corner on dirt run:

Map.jpg

Each red dot represents a connection with a repeater, offering a vehicle ID, gps coord, speed, time, etc. With a more complex system you can even patch out a message ie. stuck here broken Jeep axle :D

Guess I should have said anything for voice communication is useless. :p

I thought all the info was relayed by sat. The repeaters do a lot more then I thought they did. Interesting thing to know.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Steve i can run the basic wheeling tech if you want i just need to stake out a good spot to do it at so people can watch out at Lil moab.
I figure teach, crawling, bumping, brake control, wheel placment, throttle control and how to approach different objects

sixstringsteve

Ok, we need volunteers/experts to teach the following topics:

Friday night:
*Tread-lightly class

*1-hour overview of the state of the state's land use situation (the story behind Wilderness, WSA's, LWWC's, etc. The RMP and motorized plan process and how the end user can make their input. Greatest threats to public lands, etc).

Saturday morning (I was thinking these would be in stations throughout the area, and we could rotate every 15-30 min). If the noobs get a chance to practice the skills, even better.

* recovery (this can be simple, like how to use a hi-lift safely, tow strap vs snatch strap, shackle ratings, where to attach a strap, etc).

* driving techniques for different obstacles (it'd be really cool if we had some different obstacles to try different approaches on) - Seth, I saw you volunteer for this. We could probably use one or two more as well, depending on how we want to set this up.

* spotting - quick 15 min course. Hand-signals, what to look for, and maybe even practice spotting someone through an obstacle.

* vehicle modification FAQ for noobs - what are some of the first things they should mod, why, and what each element does (lockers, gears, cages, lifts, pros+cons, etc). Also cover UDOT rules for street-legal rigs (fender rules, mud flaps, lift height, etc).

* communication - basic cb stuff: parts needed, why we use them, how to communicate over a cb, possibly how to tune (I have a SWR meter). You could also go into a BRIEF overview of other comm devices: Spot, ham, etc.

*photographer to document and do a write-up of the day

Last edited:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Now that your a Toyota owner I'll let you know the next time the local LC club does a comm night, we have some total CB/amateur radio nut that have really helped our club get on the air :D

Uh oh.... Kurt has just publicly stated that he's going to invite me to do stuff now... The Earth's axis just shifted another 4"

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking May 6-7th. I know it won't work for everyone, but it sounds like the week after is out, and the last week of may is the BBQ in moab. It might be fun for shane and greg to pimp the moab BBQ/fundraiser at this as well.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
May 6-7 is awesome, I already talked the wife into going, we will have my 3 year old so I'll have to have her on a leash. Hopefully Lisa will put some effort into learning something from this.

I could probably help out with spotting, or I could be another vehicle for demostrating obstacles. Those are probably the two areas I think I could be helpful in so either way doesn't matter to me I just want to try and help.

Maybe for spotting we could find a decently technical obstacle and just have a vehicle and driver there willing to let the new guys spot them through.