planning noob run part 2

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...and how do we go about doing it?

To be honest that is what I thought we were all talking about in this thread, next thing I knew it was getting condensed, morphed and short notice planned before presenters had even been lined up. You running for Tacoma's U4 job Steve? :rofl:

I kid, I kid. I really did think the dialogue here was helpful in fleshing out an event and getting a feel for the wanted atmosphere for the event. I understand your angle and worry of boring some but honestly to me the location is far less important than the presentation. Plan something for later in the fall, do some newbie runs in the meantime but meanwhile coordinate with some industry experts to make a class act intro class that will leave user educated not enthused. :)

sixstringsteve

Well, we've been planning on having a follow-up noob run in May since the first one started. So it probably seems rushed to you, but to me, May has always been the goal for part 2.

Plan something for later in the fall, do some newbie runs in the meantime but meanwhile coordinate with some industry experts to make a class act intro class that will leave user educated not enthused. :)

I think that's a good idea, though I still don't feel comfortable organizing something quite that big.

Knowing myself, I'm concerned with planning a large event for several reasons:
1) I'm not very organized
2) I'm not very informed
3) As far as I understand it, a formal "event" requires insurance or permits from the BLM, and that requires money, and I refuse to organize any event where money is changing hands

I agree that it'd be a good thing to do, but I don't think I'm the guy to do it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If we don't do any wheeling, and we just camp on BLM land, do we still need permits?

If you meet the BLM's criteria, and again their criteria is somewhat loose on non-paid events to the point that some could conclude even trail rides of large size could need a permit. For non-profit events with good merit, ie a clean-up, service project, education, etc there are ways to not have to get a permit.

"Large Group Camping Use Authorization. Large Group Use Permits (LGUP’s) are required for organized group camping activities that do not take place in a developed fee area, are not commercial or competitive, have more than 25 participants and/or more than 8 vehicles. Issuance of this permit allows for Large Group Use activities at nine specific large group camping locations (see LGUP map). This permit authorizes you to use public lands for dispersed, undeveloped camping activities (no BLM recreation facilities or developments). To obtain a LGUP, select one of the seven large group camping locations, complete the Large Group Notification and Use Agreement, and return to the SLFO at the address listed below 10 days before proposed use date. Upon receipt of the completed LGUP, the BLM will review, authorize, and return a copy to you. NOTE: Some conditions may require the BLM to deny your permit application or redirect you to a different location, ie: fire danger, extreme draught conditions, etc. When conducting or participating in camping activities under a LGUP, you must agree to and comply with LGUP Conditions of Use (found on back of permit). There is no fee for a LGCP. Issuance of a LGCP does not reserve sites or grant your group exclusive use of an area. All sites under this permit are available on a first come/first serve basis.

Special Recreation Permits (SRP’s) are required for commercial recreation operations, competitive events and activities, and for organized group activities that require special management or monitoring (exclusive of those organized group camping activities which fall under a Group Camping Use Authorization)."

sixstringsteve

cool, thanks. That's the info I needed. Later in the summer I'll get in touch with the BLM and learn more about what I need to do to get a LGCP. I realize sooner would be ideal, but I'm swamped with school 'till the end of summer.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Sorry steve been away from the computer for a awhile yeah i would love to do a drivers tech, but where is the question i was thinking of a area where brandon and i crawled up it is a decent climb but it has many lines

sixstringsteve

For the low-key May trip, I'd like to see if there's a Tread Lightly instructor that would like to teach us at the campfire. I'd expect 30-40 rigs, and I think it'd be a good opportunity to start some discussions on land use.

I'd still like to do a 15 min "class" on spotting, bumping, and crawling in the morning. Lil moab brings the body damage if you're not careful.

sixstringsteve

I'm hoping to get tread-lightly certified before then, but if not, I'll have someone come in and teach us at the campfire.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Ok, we need volunteers/experts to teach the following topics:

Friday night:
*Tread-lightly class

*1-hour overview of the state of the state's land use situation (the story behind Wilderness, WSA's, LWWC's, etc. The RMP and motorized plan process and how the end user can make their input. Greatest threats to public lands, etc).

Saturday morning (I was thinking these would be in stations throughout the area, and we could rotate every 15-30 min). If the noobs get a chance to practice the skills, even better.

* recovery (this can be simple, like how to use a hi-lift safely, tow strap vs snatch strap, shackle ratings, where to attach a strap, etc).

* driving techniques for different obstacles (it'd be really cool if we had some different obstacles to try different approaches on) - Seth, I saw you volunteer for this. We could probably use one or two more as well, depending on how we want to set this up.

* spotting - quick 15 min course. Hand-signals, what to look for, and maybe even practice spotting someone through an obstacle.

* vehicle modification FAQ for noobs - what are some of the first things they should mod, why, and what each element does (lockers, gears, cages, lifts, pros+cons, etc). Also cover UDOT rules for street-legal rigs (fender rules, mud flaps, lift height, etc).

* communication - basic cb stuff: parts needed, why we use them, how to communicate over a cb, possibly how to tune (I have a SWR meter). You could also go into a BRIEF overview of other comm devices: Spot, ham, etc.

*photographer to document and do a write-up of the day

And how much time actually on the trails?

sixstringsteve

70/30's the plan for the may trip, but it really depends on who I can get to help out. I'm not really looking for vendors or companies to sponsor anything like that, just a few knowledgable wheelers to share some basics. We'll shoot for a full-blown instruction day in the Fall.

sixstringsteve

And how much time actually on the trails?

btw, lil moab doesn't have any trails, just a few piles of rocks to play on. You can still entertain yourself for hours, but it's not really a trail-run this time.

I figure you can come as early as you want on Friday and wheel as much as you want. We'll have the tread lightly course around 9 PM over a campfire, then go to bed (or night wheel if you want). THen saturday morning we could have a few stations. People can drop in as they like, or they can ignore the stations and just wheel. There will be some good info for the noobs.

Keep in mind, last noob run, we had about 15-20 driver's who didn't have their truck on 4-lo, because they didn't know when to use 4L and when to use 4H. In fact, some peoeple didn't have it in 4wd. So it'll be geared for basic 4x4 instruction.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
btw, lil moab doesn't have any trails, just a few piles of rocks to play on. You can still entertain yourself for hours, but it's not really a trail-run this time.

That will make it much easier to demonstrate and practice different wheeling techniques. So much in such a small area that you can pretty much walk everywhere to show people stuff before they try it out.

Max Power

Bryce
I am a fairly experienced wheeler and would like to help any way I can. Let me know if you are going to have a planning meeting. I also have a couple friends that im sure would love to come.

Scrivens

id love to attend a thing like that, my buddy on here introduced me to the site and helping me start to offroad in my jeep, so if you guys set up a date and everything id do the over nighter and daylight run, sounds like a blast

sixstringsteve

I am a fairly experienced wheeler and would like to help any way I can. Let me know if you are going to have a planning meeting. I also have a couple friends that im sure would love to come.

Good to know Max, we'll involve you for sure. I'm not organized enough to have a meeting :D

But I'll keep you in the loop as we plan it.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

I figure you can come as early as you want on Friday and wheel as much as you want. We'll have the tread lightly course around 9 PM over a campfire, then go to bed (or night wheel if you want). THen saturday morning we could have a few stations. People can drop in as they like, or they can ignore the stations and just wheel. There will be some good info for the noobs.

Keep in mind, last noob run, we had about 15-20 driver's who didn't have their truck on 4-lo, because they didn't know when to use 4L and when to use 4H. In fact, some peoeple didn't have it in 4wd. So it'll be geared for basic 4x4 instruction.

I thought the plan was to play up in the Snakes area??

pELYgroso

'Merica
Steve, I like your idea for the 2nd noob trip but IMO, Sami's idea of having one large group going through each "training" at the same time, all in a 2 hour cram sesh is the way to go. He's right about the fact that if a station goes over to 40 min or an hour, the whole thing is screwed. Also, if there are multiple stations -the time to transition, I think, will make the whole thing take way too long. I picture Sami's shade covers set-up in a semi-circle on the W side of the main little Moab hill on the flatter stone area close enough to be able to have everyone watch some bumping/locker/winching demonstrations while still standing/sitting under the shade drinking some sodas (and maybe eating some hot dogs) donated by, say, Alljeep.com or some vendor. The station idea is good when at a church going from classroom to classroom, but i can see it fizzling out after a couple transitions as people get ansy to wheel and "escape" during the transition. I think the stories/explanations/demonstrations/you making boring things fun/people able to kind of meet everyone in the group instead of just who's at their station will easily keep everyone sitting for 2-3 hours in one spot. I think it would be an awesome idea to start out by having everybody introduce themselves, stating their name and RME name. I feel like I know a bunch of people on here and its always cool to put a face and real name w/ RME friends

Having said all that, I'd love to attend and wouldn't mind buying the sodas and maybe some dogs for the training sesh! Regardless of how it's executed, I think a little more training than last time is a great idea!