planning noob run part 2

sixstringsteve

Weren't you the one who proposed wheeling snakes and leaving the noobs behind last time? :D

Noob run 2 won't be as elaborate as Kurt and Sami's ideas, but maybe in the future (Fall) I'll end up organizing an educational day for noobs and experienced people alike.

But untill I have volunteers to teach stuff, we won't have much instruction. So far I have a few volunteers to teach basic wheeling (spotting techniques, and how to drive simple obstacles). Since that's the only training we have lined up, we don't really have to worry too much about the format. At least it'll be more instruction than last time.

So this is looking like it'll end up being a low-key camping evening with some basic instruction on Saturday. Everyone has a slightly different idea of what's the noob runs should be. I appreciate the feedback, and my expectations are changing too. I'm learning as I go, and I expect each noob run to get smoother and smoother.

I'll slowly try to improve it as I go each time, adding more and more instruction.

Last edited:

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
I think you need to stress the name tag / forum ID tags or something too, last time the only one I knew at first glance was you steve, I knew some rigs but no idea what the drivers of the rigs look like to know who was who on here

sixstringsteve

I totally agree. yeah, everyone was too embarassed to do a nametag. I think that would help a ton though. Or write it on your rig. I'm surprised how many people wheel a rig that's different from their avatar.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I think I'm actually going to just stencil my screen name on my bumper. I use it for every forum I use and it's not going to change. Now people don't need to be as extreme as permanantly painting their name on their rig but something simple like a piece of paper taped to the rear window or something would be a good idea.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I totally agree. yeah, everyone was too embarassed to do a nametag. I think that would help a ton though. Or write it on your rig. I'm surprised how many people wheel a rig that's different from their avatar.

I think it would be difficult for me to wheel a couple of little people playing basketball. It's hard to be PC right now with that.

sixstringsteve

OK Kurt, I think I'm up to planning the big late summer/early fall education night. I'm going to need your help, and I'll be asking a lot of questions, but I'd really like to make it happen. I'll be picking your brain as I go...

We need a catchy name. It won't be a noob run, more like an intermediate member education night.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
OK Kurt, I think I'm up to planning the big late summer/early fall education night. I'm going to need your help, and I'll be asking a lot of questions, but I'd really like to make it happen. I'll be picking your brain as I go...

LOL, we've already been planning it off line. As your mission was seemingly 180* from the one several of us envisioned we picked up our thoughts from last years thread and started fleshing out some details. We've got a location in mind, suggested speakers and a roughed out agenda. I'll shoot you a PM and bring you up to speed when I get a chance.

sixstringsteve

ok, cool, sounds like you've got it all planned out. I don't need to plan it, you'd do a better job anyway. I'll stick to the noob runs.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ok, cool, sounds like you've got it all planned out. I don't need to plan it, you'd do a better job anyway. I'll stick to the noob runs.

Its far from planned, as I've said from the beginning what we needed most from you was your enthusiasm not your experience :p I.e. we will all work together to plan out an 'Intro to 4x4' day and you could really help us sell it to those that could benefit from it most. I'll add you to our next round of PM conversation.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Its far from planned, as I've said from the beginning what we needed most from you was your enthusiasm not your experience :p I.e. we will all work together to plan out an 'Intro to 4x4' day and you could really help us sell it to those that could benefit from it most. I'll add you to our next round of PM conversation.

I am really looking forward to this coming to fruition. If I can I will be there as I know I can always learn something new.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, enthusiasm is the only thing of value that I have to offer. :D

I'm happy to help if I can, but if you have meetings without me, I won't be put out at all. Feel free to involve me as much or as little as you'd like. In the mean time I'll keep doing basic noob runs every few months to get new people out on the trail. I'll spread the word about the upcoming "intro to 4x4" day too.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Steve and others... we still interested in a newbie intro day? The trails are just about opened all over Utah, figure its as good as time as any to get a date on the calendar for this intro class if there is still interest. We could likely host it at the Miller Motorsports park if some are willing to pay a small fee (I would guess $10-30/vehicle???) or we could host it in the outdoors for free but less ideal situation for learning. Sami and I had some great dialogue about class options and ideas, hopefully one of our Tread Lightly Master Trainers (Tacoma or Curt Hall) could help with the Tread Lightly portion? Thoughts?

krany

kranberry
i would pay to get into miller, havent been there yet but from the looks of it, it would be a great place to learn to crawl, recover, or w/e will be taught, plus dont they have conference rooms there aswell?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
i would pay to get into miller, havent been there yet but from the looks of it, it would be a great place to learn to crawl, recover, or w/e will be taught, plus dont they have conference rooms there aswell?

Correct, we might be able to snag a school room, otherwise they have a large covered tent area (meaning shade) right at the off-road park with shade and enough room to park a few vehicles underneath for demo' out of the sun. Afterwards we could open the park up to all the driving you want to do for a couple of hours.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'm still interested with enough notice, because likely I'll have to request the time away from work.

krany

kranberry
I'm still interested with enough notice, because likely I'll have to request the time away from work.
x2 a date a month or 2 in advanced would be a good idea, that way people can plan around things. i know sept 10th low range has their show n shine so that weekends out for me.