Posing a question about Land Use...

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
I like the idea of a protest and rally. the problem is that most protest and rallies of this sort are on weekdays and most responsible people are working and are unable to go to them, regardless of how much they support the cause. One thing I have always wondered about when subjects like this come up, is there any dialogue between off road/ equal access groups and disabled american groups and disabled veteran groups. I think that joining forces with people that have rights to access that are protected by federal law is a good partnership. just something I was thinking about.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
e28bimmer; said:
I know about USA-ALL :)S) and other groups that are "working" with these federal groups to try and save a trail or two... and honestly, I dont see a whole lot of progress.

I don’t have the patience to write a long and well reasoned argument to this nor have I read any of the other replies so sorry if this has been brought up. I have to say I certainly understand this feeling of no progress. I welcome the criticism and the opportunity to constantly reevaluate our effectiveness and strategies.

At times it seems we get nowhere, sometimes we take a step back and sometimes we have small leaps forward. There is not a single other person who knows this more or less than I. But I will tell you this... one of the most frustrating things about what we do is the lack of recognition we receive for protecting what exists.

I can tell you USA-ALL is directly responsible for keeping a number of well know and widely used roads and areas open in Utah. Some of these places include the Buckhorn Wash road (OHV access) in the San Rafael, many roads in the Henry Mountains, 250,000 acres in Box Elder County, and others. ALL of these places were not far from closure within the past 12-18 months. We organized and successfully challenged the pending or proposed closures in all of those cases. But the problem is we need to do a better job of letting people know this.

The general public notices no change since the road(s) / areas are still open, had they been closed, well you would notice change. And of course some will claim, “USA-ALL has failed”. And they may not be all wrong. We don’t win them all, but let me tell you we stretch dollars and man power and we accomplish nothing short of miracles in many cases.

One thing I can absolutely promise: The more people that join out organization, the more names the more money we have to use in fighting these battles. Those two things number of members and dollars DIRECTLY translate into more areas and routes open. We have along way to go to be on par with gang green, but as long as there are good people out there willing to fight USA-ALL will carry that banner tall and proud and we will continue to progress. Without our members we die.

So for those who aren’t members let me suggest you get with it and join, don’t sit outside the arena and be a Monday morning quarterback, get involved at any level. USA-ALL welcomes you. For more exciting action stay tuned for this upcoming legislative session it’s sure to be filled with excitement.

e28bimmer

I like the idea of a protest and rally. the problem is that most protest and rallies of this sort are on weekdays and most responsible people are working and are unable to go to them, regardless of how much they support the cause.**

IMHO, if its important enough, and people feel strongly enough... then they will find a way to be there. Our protest is planned for the end of March. If you want to see a difference than plan on being there. In the grand scope of everything, what is a few hours in the afternoon? I mean, how difficult is - "Hey boss, Im going to need to leave early on this date." Its a matter of priorities I guess, if you cant make a few hours to stand up for what you want done, then dont whine when the trails are closed.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i'll plan to be there... provided there are reminders as the date gets closer.. ;)

..and please for the love of pete, do not bring your rig if it leaks any type of fluid, smokes at all, looks like a nasty rust bucket(see Meat's rig for example ;)), and so on... use your head.. we're trying to make a good impression.. right?

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
how difficult is - "Hey boss, Im going to need to leave early on this date." Its a matter of priorities I guess, if you cant make a few hours to stand up for what you want done, then dont whine when the trails are closed.

what about the places such as 4x4 shops or 4x4 dealers, where everybody wants to go and participate because they all have vested interest. you can't expect businesses to close their doors. in a perfect world, everybody that would be going to those businesses would be at the rally, but that is not going to happen, and everybody needs to make a living. I'm not trying to make excuses for anybody, but not everyone can go, even if they want to. I will plan on being there, as soon as there is a date set I will say "hey boss, I'm going to need to leave early on this date." but that automatically stops the other couple of guys that would go. just company policy.