Power steering cooler???

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
So last saturday up AF Canyon my power steering pump an res was getting way way way hot, It also made a growning sound when i turned. So i figure i need a power steering cooler. So my questions is Will a small tranny cooler work, and what line do i hook the cooler in to the lower presser line, or high presser line?

anvil

Transmission coolers work just fine for power steering coolers. Put the cooler in the low pressure line. The high pressure line is around 1300 PSI which would burst most coolers.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
notajeep said:
That is what I am using. I got mine off u-hauls web site for about $30.

I saw one at Autozone for $30. So i just run the line to the cooler, put the cooler in the grill where it can get some air, then run the line back to the pump right.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
James K said:
I am just using one of the small oil coolers I got from pep boys years ago. its been hooked up for 4+ years now, zero problems.

Awsome. I'm going to look around this weekend and see what will work.

R

rockdog

Kris, I'm not sure how a zuk power steering set up is. On my toy the pump and reservoir are seperate. I put a tranny cooler on and still built a lot of heat. So I put a way larger capacity reservoir on and it solved a lot of the problem. If you think about it, more capacity= more time for the fluid to cool before being reserked through the system. I used a tranny cooler also. I'd do that first for sure. But if that does'nt solve your problems, I'd try more capacity.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
rockdog said:
Kris, I'm not sure how a zuk power steering set up is. On my toy the pump and reservoir are seperate. I put a tranny cooler on and still built a lot of heat. So I put a way larger capacity reservoir on and it solved a lot of the problem. If you think about it, more capacity= more time for the fluid to cool before being reserked through the system. I used a tranny cooler also. I'd do that first for sure. But if that does'nt solve your problems, I'd try more capacity.

It has a Nissan power steering pump, res, box. It's just like a toy. I'm going to get a good sized cooler and see where that gets me.

Col Mustard

I used to burn up up my power steering fluid as well. I put a Flex-Lite cooler with a fan and that helped quite a bit. I'm sure you can find a cheaper fan though. For the fluid, I went to Redline Synthetic and that made a world of difference.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Col Mustard said:
I used to burn up up my power steering fluid as well. I put a Flex-Lite cooler with a fan and that helped quite a bit. I'm sure you can find a cheaper fan though. For the fluid, I went to Redline Synthetic and that made a world of difference.

Where's a cheaper fan? All the ones i've looked at are $$$$$$$$$$. it would be nice to have one that was big enough for the radiater and P/S.

RockPaws

It's All About Rocks!
I also got tired of burning up the power steering. The Red Line Power steering oil sure works great. On my power steering installs, in addition to the cooler, I also install a inline filter. Made by magnafine. I purchase them from Parts Connection, in Sandy 801-572-0272.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Has anyone used the built in radiator cooler for the tranny as a PC cooler and install a aftermarket tranny cooler?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Jay5.9L said:
Has anyone used the built in radiator cooler for the tranny as a PC cooler and install a aftermarket tranny cooler?

That's not ideal, since your radiator will "pre-heat" the PS fluid to ~200 degrees, even if the pump didn't heat the fluid at all.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I Lean said:
That's not ideal, since your radiator will "pre-heat" the PS fluid to ~200 degrees, even if the pump didn't heat the fluid at all.

Good catch, I did not even think about that.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
200 degrees is the temperaure of the coolant as it exits the engine not the temperature of the coolant in the radiator surounding the tranny oil cooler which is near the radiator outlet. The temp would be much cooler after the radiator transfers heat. I am not sure it is a great idea to use that circut but it will not heat the fluid to engine temps. I would be interested in temps at the PS pump/ reservor expecially when running headers I would think they would be quite high.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
bobdog said:
200 degrees is the temperaure of the coolant as it exits the engine not the temperature of the coolant in the radiator surounding the tranny oil cooler which is near the radiator outlet. The temp would be much cooler after the radiator transfers heat. I am not sure it is a great idea to use that circut but it will not heat the fluid to engine temps. I would be interested in temps at the PS pump/ reservor expecially when running headers I would think they would be quite high.

Good point, not 200 degrees...but still more than ambient air temp, unless you're on Mars.

Stock setups burn through their fluid every so often, so I'm sure you're right about the high temps with an integrated reservoir and headers.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Ok i put a trans cooler on before going out to Rattlesnake/ Con. I still had alot of trouble steering. The fluid would still boil over or atleast leak out of the Res. Dose it matter which line i plumed the cooler into? I put it in the 3/8's line that come's out of the res. Maybe a bigger res or more powerful pump would work????

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Kris K said:
Ok i put a trans cooler on before going out to Rattlesnake/ Con. I still had alot of trouble steering. The fluid would still boil over or atleast leak out of the Res. Dose it matter which line i plumed the cooler into? I put it in the 3/8's line that come's out of the res. Maybe a bigger res or more powerful pump would work????

What kind of reservoir do you have? You need to plumb it in the line that returns fluid from the steering box to the res, not from the res to the pump. (you may have it correct already, I don't know....)

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I Lean said:
What kind of reservoir do you have? You need to plumb it in the line that returns fluid from the steering box to the res, not from the res to the pump. (you may have it correct already, I don't know....)

I have it plumbed in the line that goes from the box to the res. It's a nissan res, pump and box. I'm thinking of putting a GM saginaw pump on it? I guess it had more pressure an volume.

Last edited: