Practice Scraps

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I just purchased a cheap MIG welder (Titanium Flux 125). I've welded all the big bolts together I had laying around and now need some other metal to practice on. Any ideas where I can find some cheap scraps?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Any metal shop should have a bin of scrap, they'd probably sell pieces to you pretty cheap.

Metal Supermarkets in Salt Lake gives me aluminum scraps from their bin to practice my TIG welding with. Free of charge, but I also buy a lot of material from them so that my play into my pricing.

Medsker

I was wondering who to buy my steel from once I started on serious or rather semi serious projects. Thanks!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
If you're still in need I have a handful of scraps I picked up for this same reason in various thicknesses

Medsker

Curious what SSS's scrap room is? I googled it but it only came up with scrapbook web pages. And TRD270 thanks for the offer and I'll let you know. I love how this forum helps people out :cool:

J-mobzz

SSS is a good place to get remnant steel As well as new metal. remnant is sold by the pound based on market price and inventory it seems. Also Wasatch steel and metal mart are some other good places to buy.

J-mobzz

SSS is on lockdown. You can’t get inside. That means you have to call them. This is where their terrible customer service shines. Good luck.
This is true they have good prices but some of the worst customer service ever. They are nice and everything just frequently mess up orders and are a mess in general.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This is true they have good prices but some of the worst customer service ever. They are nice and everything just frequently mess up orders and are a mess in general.

The last few times I've been lucky enough to get them to answer the phone, their prices have been about in line with, if not more than Wasatch Steel. And Wasatch gets me in and out in 5 minutes, with the correct stuff.

When SSS first opened, they were significantly cheaper. Those days appear to be gone, and I'm pretty much done dealing with them.

The final straw for me was ordering material they said they had in stock, paying for it over the phone (since the showroom is closed), and then being told they didn't have what I needed after all--but they still charged me the full amount. Then it took several calls over a 4 day period to get them to refund the portion of my money they owed me. AND, while finally taking care of that, the guy told me his computer showed they still had over 20, 20' sticks of that material. (of which I needed 10')

Medsker

You'd think during this slow time you'd be better at customer service in order to get as much business as possible. I can't wait for this whole virus mess to get back to normal or at least whatever the new normal will be.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Sorry I missed you. I hope you found some good scraps at my place. My son showed you where to look at least :)

Medsker

So I haven't played around too much since the weather has been so nice so I've been doing drives in the Jeep but I did make this flower and thought it turned out all right.

Attachments

• 20200519_130746.jpg
    20200519_130746.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 29