Pritchet Canyon rated a 9 for EJS 2010?

The one on the right is the gas, the one on the other side makes it stop. Still trying to figure out what the circle thingy in the middle is though. When I push the button it beeps. :) Seriously though, another thing that worries me is I have an automatic. 4.56 gears though.

Have you ever seen anyone succeed with IFS, not being in an H1 that is, or without winching most of the way?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The one on the right is the gas, the one on the other side makes it stop. Still trying to figure out what the circle thingy in the middle is though. When I push the button it beeps. :) Seriously though, another thing that worries me is I have an automatic. 4.56 gears though.

Have you ever seen anyone succeed with IFS, not being in an H1 that is, or without winching most of the way?

What are you driving? Locked F & R? Any additional t-case gearing over stock? Tire size?

If you're locked F & R, running at least 33's for a smaller rig or 35's for a bigger rig, and know how to drive, you should get thru Pritchett just fine. The IFS will allow for some fun, tippy moments, but lockers will make up for wheel travel. Some rocker protection will be very helpful and prevent serious sheetmetal damage.

The automatic should help you, for the most part. The rest of it really depends on what you're in.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Also, if you (directed at anybody) are having issues on the trail don't let your ego get the best of you. Everybody will thank you for taking the winch points and keeping everything moving along nicely.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

I've seen an IFS 4 runner go through on 33's, locked front and rear, a couple of years ago. The driver was very experienced and comfortable in his rig though. You put some idiots in the same vehicle and it wouldn't make it half way.

IFS and no lockers = find another trail that you'll have more fun on.

The auto tranny will give you an advantage though, so be thankful for that.

I have a 95 2dr Tahoe. 35's with the stock limited slip in the rear. I'll be swapping that out for a detroit locker before attempting Pritchett though. No locker in the front...apparently things explode within an aluminum housing when all locked up. Transfer case it stock. I always liked lower gears and a standard transmission, you guys make me feel all warm and fuzzy about my auto now.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have a 95 2dr Tahoe. 35's with the stock limited slip in the rear. I'll be swapping that out for a detroit locker before attempting Pritchett though. No locker in the front...apparently things explode within an aluminum housing when all locked up. Transfer case it stock. I always liked lower gears and a standard transmission, you guys make me feel all warm and fuzzy about my auto now.

If you're opened in the front (and I don't blame you if you aren't and things go BOOM when locked) I would recommend staying away from Pritchett for now. Pritchett is one of those trails that you really ought to be locked F & R if you want a good chance at making it thru with minimal damage & trouble.

LT.

Hmmm, maybe if I'm still there on Monday I'll join you Jeff. Don't think I've ever been on a run with you.

Would y'all mind if I tried to tag along with ya'? I should be there from April 1st through the 10th this year. If you would not mind, and have the time, to take a total noob through I would be forever grateful.

LT.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Would y'all mind if I tried to tag along with ya'? I should be there from April 1st through the 10th this year. If you would not mind, and have the time, to take a total noob through I would be forever grateful.

LT.

LT, I'd love to have you along. The trail I'm leading on the 29th is an official EJS run, so you'll have to sign up for that, but I'm sure I'd be up for another run after EJS is over.

LT.

LT, I'd love to have you along. The trail I'm leading on the 29th is an official EJS run, so you'll have to sign up for that, but I'm sure I'd be up for another run after EJS is over.

That would be so cool. I have never done the whole EJS sign up thing since I don't drive a jeep. I kind of thought it would be sacrilege for me to be running with a group of folks driving Jeeps. I must warn you that I am 0-2 on Pritchett. For what ever reason that trail has always had my number. I have yet to get past Chewy hill. I am really hoping for a run after the EJS week. Say sometime after the 4th.

LT.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The nice thing about Pritchett, is Chewy will deny you if you aren't experienced/built enough. Before you had to go all the way to rocker knocker to find out if you could complete the trail. Just my opinion of course....

I think with 33's you're going to have your hands full. ;) There is a reason it's rated 9 out of 10 :D

LT.

I agree! Its a great gatekeeper!

It sure denied me from going any further. I am hoping that this year things will be a little different. Better tires, suspension, lower gears, better weight distribution, longer wheel base, higher belly clearance, and lower center of gravity. I am thinking that it should be no problem this year. If I ever get it back together.

LT.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
That would be so cool. I have never done the whole EJS sign up thing since I don't drive a jeep. I kind of thought it would be sacrilege for me to be running with a group of folks driving Jeeps. I must warn you that I am 0-2 on Pritchett. For what ever reason that trail has always had my number. I have yet to get past Chewy hill. I am really hoping for a run after the EJS week. Say sometime after the 4th.

LT.

Don't let driving a non-Jeep stop you, there is every kind of rig imaginable sign up for Safari trails. Anyway, keep in touch, as long as I can schedule a day away from work, I shouold be able to do a run the week after EJS.

Bart

LT.

I signed up for Monday. Would love to have you along and can't wait to see the new (old) rig in action. You'll prolly be pulling me up everything.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
No locker in the front...apparently things explode within an aluminum housing when all locked up.

I don't know much about the front aluminum housings in the Tahoe, but from my experience I see a lot more damage done by rigs without lockers trying to go up stuff that is a little out of their reach. With a locker, you generally don't need as much wheel speed so you aren't (or shouldn't be) as inclined to bounce/hop up stuff trying to carry momentum. That hopping and it's subsequent shockload is what I see breaking the most parts.

I've lead groups of 5-20 grand cherokees through Pritchett every June for the last 9 years for Grand Slam West, and pretty much every rig that didn't have 2 lockers broke trying to keep up. I can only think of one that didn't, but that was in 2002 and the trail has changed a lot since then.

I don't know much about the front aluminum housings in the Tahoe, but from my experience I see a lot more damage done by rigs without lockers trying to go up stuff that is a little out of their reach. With a locker, you generally don't need as much wheel speed so you aren't (or shouldn't be) as inclined to bounce/hop up stuff trying to carry momentum. That hopping and it's subsequent shockload is what I see breaking the most parts.

I'm good with this logic!

I started a thread on full size chevy the other day discussing this topic. As you know, Toyota owners lock up the front IFS all the time....it's not hard to find a manufacturer that sells a locker for the Toyotas or just about any other ifs rig in the world for that matter. But no one will market a device for the half ton Chevy. I think our conclusion over on that thread was the aluminum housing is just too weak in the 8.25 for anyone to even bother trying it out.

Ha Ha maybe I'll just weld the spiders....well if I had any frikken clue about how to get to the carrier, or how to weld with anything other than JB. It'd be fun to see how long it would last locked up like that. Then after housing distruction do SAS. I'm a dreamer.

Bart

Toyota IFS vs GM IFS, totally different strength to weight ratios. If you do weld them up and try Pritchett, please let me know what day so I can be as far away as possible.

Doing Pritchett in a vehicle that is not set up will be no fun for anyone in the group. That's why there's a rating.

Last edited: