Pritchet Canyon rated a 9 for EJS 2010?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm good with this logic!
I think our conclusion over on that thread was the aluminum housing is just too weak in the 8.25 for anyone to even bother trying it out.

96 and newer grand cherokees have an aluminum center rear 44. there are very few options for gears and lockers (really, only 1) but people aren't breaking the aluminum housing once locked.

96 and newer grand cherokees have an aluminum center rear 44. there are very few options for gears and lockers (really, only 1) but people aren't breaking the aluminum housing once locked.

Are they locking on demand or before they have the drive train under stress? I have a '95 with front and rear ARBs in 30's and 35's.

Steve

Toyota IFS vs GM IFS, totally different strength to weight ratios. If you do weld them up and try Pritchett, please let me know what day so I can be as far away as possible.

Doing Pritchett in a vehicle that is not set up will be no fun for anyone in the group. That's why there's a rating.

ROTHLMAO!! :rofl:

Toyota IFS vs GM IFS, totally different strength to weight ratios. If you do weld them up and try Pritchett, please let me know what day so I can be as far away as possible.

Doing Pritchett in a vehicle that is not set up will be no fun for anyone in the group. That's why there's a rating.

Not true on the power weight ratio in many cases. My hoe is 200 lbs heavier than the fjcruiser and has 20 less hp (according to wiki). But point taken, the potential is there. I'm sure you could hop up a cruiser if you desired for that matter though. Don't worry Bart, I'd make sure not to slow you down. I'm not planning on trying it durring EJS. Oh and i'll make sure to send a note your way so you could be in Colorado or something if I try it. ;)

Last edited:

LT.

I signed up for Monday. Would love to have you along and can't wait to see the new (old) rig in action. You'll prolly be pulling me up everything.

I won't get to Moab until the 1st of April and I really don't think that you would ever need a tug from me and my junk. You and your abilities are light years ahead of me and my rig. If I am able to get the truck done in time I seriously think it will be way beyond my abilites to drive it.

Follow-up from my OP

Follow-up from my OP:

I moved up from 31" tires and 3.5" lift to 35" tires and 6" lift on my '95 ZJ.

Re-ran Behind the Rocks and added High Dive and Upchuck.
Ran Pritchett Canyon - no damage, only by passed Rocker Knocker because it had over an inch of sand and many others who had done it before and had more capable rigs had a lot of trouble and by passed it too.
Added Elephant Hill
Re-ran Golden Spike

Conclusion: 35" tires make thing too damn easy! Where is the fun.

I still have not figured out to take pictures of myself while I am working on an obstacle.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I ran Pritchett with a bunch of people over EJS this year in my grand that is open/open. 3.5" of lift and 33's. I did winch up a ton of stuff so I can't say I really "did" the trail. It was a good time because of the group i was with. But IMO I would choose another trail that I could have more fun on and test my driving skills w/o a winch.

But like I said...it's possible in your rig...it just depends on how hard you want to push it.

I have a 95 2dr Tahoe. 35's with the stock limited slip in the rear. I'll be swapping that out for a detroit locker before attempting Pritchett though. No locker in the front...apparently things explode within an aluminum housing when all locked up. Transfer case it stock. I always liked lower gears and a standard transmission, you guys make me feel all warm and fuzzy about my auto now.

2 dr tahoes are kewl! fyi, the "stock limited slip" is actually an eaton gov-lock, although it has clutches, when it engages, it is designed to be locked up like a spool. The one in my 14bolt (burb) acted that way, it was pretty cool.

Though from your post, you probably swapped it out for a detroit by now. If not, and you still have the stock 10bolt, you may consider swapping in a 6-lug 14bolt.

btw, chewy's got my number on Pritchett. My rig is fairly well built so I must be a sucky driver.:eek: (i'd like to try it without my spare though, it seemed to help a lot on other trails this year)

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
We had a couple of CJ-5's on itty, bitty tires on our EJS Thursday Pritchett. I think they were on 30's or maybe 31's, maybe not even that big. Luckily they both had new winches because they sure used them, granted there was a snowstorm but still.

So, yes, you can drag your carcass through Pritchett but it's not official until you have the Pritchett Unassisted sticker, going winch free!