Pritchett Canyon

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

:rolleyes:

The mob-mentality within gets us nowhere, it will probably be part of the downfall of recreation on public lands.

It seems that people who have made a name for themselves in the 4x4 world are held to a much higher standard and when they make a mistake, everyone on the internet dog piles on them without having all the information. Jumping to conclusions, making accusations and perpetuating a negative campaign does NOT do any good!

This was eventually handled how it should have been. Someone in authority actually talked to the accused person and the situation was handled like it should have been.

I don't understand how people think it's alright to berate someone online without having all of the information. A mistake was made, efforts to repair the damage has been made, the person in the wrong has been informed, and recognized the wrong. Lets move on!

CJ Matt

No, there is no need to post the pics. I believe in what has been stated and it would be great if he can help out in the future. Having the groups involved in keeping these trails open contact him was the right way to go.

We are not paparazzi and this is not TMZ! Let it go TC.

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Sorry to stir the pot, but there is no way that that bypass was used before Walker did it.

I was there the weekend before (March 28th). The bypass did not exist at that time.

We have determined that the pictures were taken Sunday afternoon on April 5th. In the photos I saw, there is NO SIGN of any tracks at all in front of Walkers rig.

I discovered the new bypass when leading my EJS group on Monday, April 6th. Only a very few rigs had traveled through it at that time. We blocked it best we could, but that obviously didn't help.

Even if someone else used it befor Walker (which I don't believe), it still would be obvious that it was not a part of the trail. There is no excuse! Walker Evans owes us an apology. Period.

SloPoke

----- Original Message -----
To: steve.e@u4wda.org
Sent: Tue 05/12/09 7:06 PM
Subject: Fwd: Moab

Hello Steve,

It was nice talking to you today, but I wish it was not under these circumstances!
After some 5 or 6 weeks that have past, my recollection of what took place is very gray. There were people that had broken down on the trail. My group did use a bypass to go around them. Since other people had previously used this bypass, clearly neither I nor my group were the first ones ever to use it. If you review the picture sent to us by (name removed for privacy) via E-mail, the number is P1010172.jpg. This picture in the lower right hand corner shows tire tracks, scared rocks and rubber tire marks on other rocks along this bypass section. I respect the DESERTS, and I am an advocate of tread lightly!

I am sorry if there are some people out there that think I did something wrong, but I don't think I did. The PRITCHETT canyon trail is a very special trail and I would hate to think we could lose the use of it. I respect all of our trails and always use them safely and wisely.

Thank you Steve, and please pass this along.

Walker Evans

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
:rolleyes:

The mob-mentality within gets us nowhere, it will probably be part of the downfall of recreation on public lands.

It seems that people who have made a name for themselves in the 4x4 world are held to a much higher standard and when they make a mistake, everyone on the internet dog piles on them without having all the information. Jumping to conclusions, making accusations and perpetuating a negative campaign does NOT do any good!

This was eventually handled how it should have been. Someone in authority actually talked to the accused person and the situation was handled like it should have been.

I don't understand how people think it's alright to berate someone online without having all of the information. A mistake was made, efforts to repair the damage has been made, the person in the wrong has been informed, and recognized the wrong. Lets move on!

Hey I just answered a question that was posed. there is no MOB Mentality in one crazy guy on the internet that noone is following

For the record I didn't make any assumptions that Walker did anything only wanted actual proof. Even the most kind people can do heinous things to the people they know and hold the trust of (Look up val Southwick for an example)

I don't understand how people think it's alright to berate someone online without having all of the information.

That was my point there was no real proof only hearsay and people were already prepping to boycott the man..

Ok I will be done- Unless someone asks a question

I am sorry if there are some people out there that think I did something wrong, but I don't think I did.

Sounds contrary to statements by Jeff and others. Is this what this whole communication was intended to acheive? A mouthpiece for WE to say "it wasn't me" or "I didn't do it"? Does the guy get held accountable or not (asking a real question here)?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett

Hello Steve,

It was nice talking to you today, but I wish it was not under these circumstances!
After some 5 or 6 weeks that have past, my recollection of what took place is very gray. There were people that had broken down on the trail. My group did use a bypass to go around them. Since other people had previously used this bypass, clearly neither I nor my group were the first ones ever to use it. If you review the picture sent to us by (name removed for privacy) via E-mail, the number is P1010172.jpg. This picture in the lower right hand corner shows tire tracks, scared rocks and rubber tire marks on other rocks along this bypass section. I respect the DESERTS, and I am an advocate of tread lightly!

I am sorry if there are some people out there that think I did something wrong, but I don't think I did. The PRITCHETT canyon trail is a very special trail and I would hate to think we could lose the use of it. I respect all of our trails and always use them safely and wisely.

Walker Evans

This is not an apology or an admission. This is a denial, and I do not believe him any more than I believe Roger Clemens didn't use steroids. And even if he wasn't the first to use the bypass, he was absolutely one of the first. It was obvious that it was not an existing or legal route, and he knew better.

If we want to continue to wheel on public lands, we need to police our own. It is totally unacceptable for someone that is so respected and well known to act in such a way.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
And by the way, maybe I'm totally blind, but I do not see the "tire tracks" and "scared rocks" that he claims to see in the photo.

And no, I will not post the pic.

Even if someone else used it befor Walker (which I don't believe), it still would be obvious that it was not a part of the trail. There is no excuse! Walker Evans owes us an apology. Period.

An apology in the least. But for that to happen, he has to admit he was wrong first. Doesn't sound like he's willing to do that. Which makes the next move...?

This is not an apology or an admission. This is a denial, and I do not believe him any more than I believe Roger Clemens didn't use steroids. And even if he wasn't the first to use the bypass, he was absolutely one of the first. It was obvious that it was not an existing or legal route, and he knew better.

If we want to continue to wheel on public lands, we need to police our own. It is totally unacceptable for someone that is so respected and well known to act in such a way.

x2

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hey I just answered a question that was posed. there is no MOB Mentality in one crazy guy on the internet that noone is following

For the record I didn't make any assumptions that Walker did anything only wanted actual proof. Even the most kind people can do heinous things to the people they know and hold the trust of (Look up val Southwick for an example)

That was my point there was no real proof only hearsay and people were already prepping to boycott the man..

Ok I will be done- Unless someone asks a question

I was speaking in general about the situation and other situations like this that may happen in the future. You apparently didn't see the sh!t-storm about this on Pirate, it went from bad to worse in a matter of minutes.

I've seen the pics, as have a half-dozen other forum members. You're just going to have to take our word for it. I don't think any good will come from the pictures being posted online.

I've asked you to 'be done' a couple times, apparently you haven't seen my request.

C22

Hello Steve,

Walker Evans

Problem here, where Walker claims the tracks were in the pic... he wasn't the first person to drive it in his group. Those who have seen the pics, it was the teal/aluminum YJ. Walker went second, then the black YJ, red CJ, black buggy, grey TJ and then the black JK. That's the order the pics are in my camera (when I downloaded them to my computer, I changed the order and put the pics of Walker first).

So yes, possibly there were already tracks there... definitely a set from the teal YJ in his group (not sure who was driving, maybe some of you know). As for there being any tracks there before the teal YJ, I didn't see any. Hopefully, this sets a few things straight.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
This thread is another good example of ''why I go to Moab on off weekends'' It sucks to have to wait on the trail for broken rigs. but at least we still have a couple trails we can go on. If people are in such a big dang hurry, you shouldnt go on a busy weekend, I hate crowded trails for this reason and for the reason its hard to pass other traffic going in the other direction without getting off the trail. If you insist on going during the busy weekends then pack a lunch, maybe breakfast and dinner too, and dont whine while your spending the whole day half way up pritchett. maybe you can carry tools and spare parts like I do to help the stranded guy get fixed and out of your way.

Last edited:

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thank you C22 for the info. At this point, I guess it really doesn't matter who was first, it was still wrong.

I have had several discussions this evening with U4WDA officials, and I believe we have a great opportunity to turn this whole mess into a win-win situation. A lot of it will depend on Mr. Walker Evans, but he is leaving soon for a two-week family vacation, and is unable to talk to us until he returns. Once something happens, I'll be sure to post up. In the meantime, lets just repair the trail and get on with enjoying some wheelin'!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you review the picture sent to us by (name removed for privacy) via E-mail, the number is P1010172.jpg. This picture in the lower right hand corner shows tire tracks, scared rocks and rubber tire marks on other rocks along this bypass section.

Wrong. Here's the cropped of that section of the exact photo mentioned above.

P1010172-crop.jpg

Regardless... I agree with Jeff. Let's fix it and keep on wheelin!

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
WOW, I go out of town for a few days and my cute little post turned into a fire-breathing hydra!!

Obviously I wasn't there, but from what has been said, Walker was wrong, period and needs to fess up! Even if there were tracks before he got there (and Jeff who has seen the pics, and who I trust completely says there weren't. BTW, NOBODY knows Pritchett better then Jeff!) it still doesn't make it right. I imagine that Walker has driven the trail before and should be familiar with the legal bypasses on Pritchett, 1 although the BLM graciously looks the other way on 2 others.

Walker needs to be held accountable! At a very minimum I think he and everyone in his group should be fined by the BLM. I whole-heartedly agree with the adage, "Where much is given, much is required." Walker has made fame, fortune, and a career from the off-road world and so YES, he should be held to a higher standard. And should be more heavily punished because he KNOWS better, or at least should.

I would like to see the pics, but don't think putting them on-line is the best option either.

David Adams
RR4W Land-Use Officer
MFFW Member

Seth

These go to 11
I wrote a sternly worded email to Mr Evans. I am interested to see his response to all of this in a couple of weeks.

A public apology and his monetary support for RR4W or U4WDA would go a long way. (hint hint)

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Hey, I don't want to turn this into a photo campaign but I do have pictures from where we found the initial damage on April 6th. I was out on the EJS run with Jeff when we discovered it. The bypass was brand new, no blackened rocks yet, just gravel and torn up dirt. A lady from the BLM was along and has photos too.....

I also state that there is a bit of obligation on our part to stay on the trail. If it is not marked as a bypass, ie. easier way (and I tell you that trail has carsonites all over it), then stay off. I've been on nearly every trail in the Moab area and see unauthorized routes and where idiots create obstacles because they're bored or just think it's fun. Some are marked "NO" and some aren't. I stay off of them regardless of whether they're marked or not.
I think it's an easy way out to say, "I wasn't the first."