Rattlesnake/Constrictor... Lets make plans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VANDALL

Me

Shawn said:
Anyone have a broke axle shaft?..........Like a 14 bolt one?

I have a 60 front 35-spline long shaft we can use if U
want it.......................
It is 35" long.........?

VANDALL.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Holy cow that was quite the letter, Kurt! We could use a few more trails out there to spread the fun around.......

Yes, drill a hole in the rock and pound an old shaft in it. Don't bother the poor trees anymore. Paint the anchor orange so people will see it and use it.

EZ

VANDALL

EZRhino said:
Holy cow that was quite the letter, Kurt! We could use a few more trails out there to spread the fun around.......

Yes, drill a hole in the rock and pound an old shaft in it. Don't bother the poor trees anymore. Paint the anchor orange so people will see it and use it.

EZ

If we want 2, I can coat it at work(HPC) just tell me if so...........

VANDALL.

VANDALL

Haha

crapmanche4l said:
ive got a busted rear 60 shaft

30-spline, right...............
The bigger the better.........

O,fu*k - I have a 5-Ton rockwell rear shaft...
I just remembers....
2"dia......
We should use that.....

VANDALL.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The problem with the rock out there, is that it fractures and cleaves easily. I don't think drilling the rock is a good idea.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Hickey said:
The problem with the rock out there, is that it fractures and cleaves easily. I don't think drilling the rock is a good idea.

That's why I was thinking about a permanant strap on a tree... ;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg said:
That's why I was thinking about a permanant strap on a tree... ;)
But then the tree takes permanent abuse. If I were to build a winch point in that area (which I would never do, for it would open up a few liability issues ;) )
I would first dig a hole. Then I would take a bunch of 6' lengths of rebar and pound them into the sidewalls of the hole at various depths and angles. Then I would fill the hole full of cement, leaving one or two loops of rebar exposed above the cement to be used as the hook point. 10 bags of concrete mix would do it.

Greg

Admin
Hickey said:
But then the tree takes permanent abuse. If I were to build a winch point in that area (which I would never do, for it would open up a few liability issues ;) )
I would first dig a hole. Then I would take a bunch of 6' lengths of rebar and pound them into the sidewalls of the hole at various depths and angles. Then I would fill the hole full of cement, leaving one or two loops of rebar exposed above the cement to be used as the hook point. 10 bags of concrete mix would do it.

There's a much larger tree on the opposite side of the trail, about 15' further back. I think using a tree saver on something that size wouldn't do any damage at all. Using the smaller one that gets used now is questionable in my book.

Let me know when you're going to dig that hole... I'll make sure I'm out of town. :p I'd hate to try digging anything up there.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg said:
There's a much larger tree on the opposite side of the trail, about 15' further back. I think using a tree saver on something that size wouldn't do any damage at all. Using the smaller one that gets used now is questionable in my book.

Let me know when you're going to dig that hole... I'll make sure I'm out of town. :p I'd hate to try digging anything up there.
The tree you are talking about is the one I have alway seen used. I really don't like the idea of directing all winch traffic over the next 20 years to that tree. Sooner or later, it will suffer.

As far as digging... That is what a 4 person gas powered auger is for. ;)

Greg

Admin
Hickey said:
The tree you are talking about is the one I have alway seen used. I really don't like the idea of directing all winch traffic over the next 20 years to that tree. Sooner or later, it will suffer.

As far as digging... That is what a 4 person gas powered auger is for. ;)

I usually see the smaller one being used, on the right (looking up the trail). It's about 5" around... not what I'd call a decent winch point! :ugh:

A gas powered auger in rock? You missed it when we planted the signs, huh? I don't think there's anything besides rock in that area. I don't think an auger would do much. We had a hard time and we used the areas that seemed to have the most dirt!

I'm playing devils advocate here... ;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It's not ALL rock, and it it will be a little bit farther up the trail than the sign is. If rock is still a problem, then a person could resort to more drastic measures... like really big M-80's :D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hick man, I like your idea with a hole, rebar, and concrete. A generater and a jack hammer would dig such a hole ;)

I have some spare rebar laying around from the house :)

Caleb

Shawn said:
Hick man, I like your idea with a hole, rebar, and concrete. A generater and a jack hammer would dig such a hole ;)

I have some spare rebar laying around from the house :)

doesn;t a Jack Hammer run off compressed ir and a lot of it (more than a typical air compressor can create)?

I do like the idea because it creates a deffinite winch point and its not going to hurt any of the trees or other surroundings.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Supergper said:
doesn;t a Jack Hammer run off compressed ir and a lot of it (more than a typical air compressor can create)?

I was thinking more like the hand held kind, like a hilty.

Caleb

Shawn said:
I was thinking more like the hand held kind, like a hilty.

:cool:

that would likely work...

the only thing I could see being a problem is someone coming in a cutting the rebar off (like an enviroturd)...we would then have to break up the concrete to fix the winch point...this may be an extreme point and may not even be a worry though.

Caleb

Hickey said:
Yeah, that rock is pretty brittle. Maybe even a air chisel, if someone has a good onboard air setup, or a pancake compressor.

I will have a York setup, not at first but the compressor is there:D

muleskinner

I can get a Hilty from work if you want to bore a 1'' or so hole straight into the rock wnd hammer in a piece of rebar or an axleshaft or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.