Salazar in Moab

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
The Sagebrush Coalition, based in San Juan County, Utah, sent us word that the Moab's Times-Independent newspaper is announcing that Interior Secretary Ken Salazar will hold a "public discussion" in Moab, Utah, tomorrow! According to the Times-Independent's facebook page Salazar will be in Moab for a brief informal discussion on the importance of conservation and outdoor recreation in creating jobs and building strong local economies. The event is open to the public and will be held at the Moab Adventure Center, 225 S. Main Street. The meeting will begin at 4:30 PM as far as we know at this time.

This meeting needs our support. Everyone possible needs to attend.

XJEEPER

Pasted from the USA-ALL email I received today:

Secretary Salazar to hold a public meeting in Moab tomorrow Wednesday Sept 28!!

We got wind of this meeting sometime before noon today, but we have been unable to get in front of our system to email you until now. Sorry for the short notice, but it seems either Mr Salazar has made a last minute change to his schedule or they are trying to keep us in the dark...even Utah's congressional delegation wasn't made aware of this until late this afternoon. UNACCEPTABLE!

The enviros had greater advanced notice about this and we smell a rat. we are concerned about what the feds and SUWA might be cooking up. SUWA plans to be to the meeting in force and compel the Secretary to take more action to close more places to OHVs.

Read the release below for all details. Please spread the word and make it if you can. USA-ALL will have one of our board members there, Dave Cozzens, to represent us well.

Department of Interior \ BLM Press Release

Date: September 27, 2011

202-208-6416 Russ von Koch (BLM)

435-259-2118

Salazar to Discuss Conservation and Backcountry Recreation in Moab

Highlight Economic Benefits of Public Lands

MOAB, Utah-On Wednesday, Sept. 28, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar will join Moab community leaders and outdoor recreation stakeholders for a conversation

on the importance of conservation and outdoor recreation in creating jobs and building strong local economies across America. During the visit, the Secretary will hear about locally-driven conservation initiatives taking place on public lands in Utah and learn how the Department can better support them. Prior to the discussion, Salazar will visit the Mill Creek Canyon Wilderness Study Area (WSA) to learn firsthand about recommendations to preserve unique recreational and wilderness values of certain areas, such as Mill Creek, through potential Congressional action.

In June, Secretary Salazar directed Deputy Secretary David J. Hayes

to solicit input from members of Congress, state and local officials, tribes and federal land managers to identify lands that may be appropriate candidates for Congressional protection under the Wilderness Act. Hayes will deliver a report to the Secretary and Congress regarding those areas that the Department believes can be the basis for a bipartisan wilderness agenda that can be enacted in the 112

th Congress.

WHO: Ken Salazar, Secretary of the Interior Jeffrey "Rock" Smith, Bureau of Land Management Regional Office Manager

WHAT: Conversation about Outdoor Recreation, Conservation, and Job CreationWHEN: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:30 p.m. MDT Conversation about Outdoor Recreation, Conservation, and

Job Creation

WHERE: Location: Moab Adventure Center225 South Main Street

Moab, UT 84532

Again sorry for the short notice but we we also had almost no notice on this...lets try to get a good turnout even though they have tried to prevent it!

Sincerely,

Michael Swenson
Utah Shared Access Alliance

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
How are we just now getting notice of this? How long has this been posted elsewhere? :(

I first found out about it around 2pm today. Hatch and Bishop's office did not have any advance notice of the visit. They were made aware shortly before we found out.

SportSawyer

XJEEPER said:
... Prior to the discussion, Salazar will visit the Mill Creek Canyon Wilderness Study Area (WSA) to learn firsthand about recommendations to preserve unique recreational and wilderness values of certain areas, such as Mill Creek, through potential Congressional action. ...

That's telling. Gee, I wonder if SUWA is involved with that field trip and how long it's been in the works? (Yep, that's a rhetorical question)

Looks like SUWA will be pushing their "Protect Greater Canyonlands" scheme, and this is a coordinated & staged "look at all the public support" charade. Obama was in Denver yesterday and they were pushing this and running TV ads in Colorado, see:

http://www.suwa.org/2011/09/26/what-president-obama-will-see-in-denver/

Since the House changed control, there's little chance of this happening legislatively. Wonder if they'll try another Antiquities Act decree...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Since the House changed control, there's little chance of this happening legislatively. Wonder if they'll try another Antiquities Act decree...

The Antiquities Act is probably the thing I fear most next year. If Obama is not doing well in the polls leading up to the election, there is very little reason why he would not use that to appeal to his green base.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I have received information from John Tanner, Hatch, and Wade Garrett, Chaffetz, that they did not receive notice until about 3 PM yesterday about Salazar. John Tanner is driving down to the meeting today. Do not know if Wade Garrett is going. I asked John to contact Jeff Stevens and Mike Swensen for local information. Hatch, on Facebook, said he got the information about 3 PM yesterday.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Was anyone there? On NPR this morning the only thing they mentioned was that people were asking about keeping roads open and returning getting rid of WSA's (mush like the Trib article). I take that as a good sign. That our people were there and loud enough to be heard.

SportSawyer

Hmmmmm. I don't recall seeing one from SUWA prior to when I found out. ...

I didn't either. There was one recently about Obama being in Denver, but I saw nothing about the Salazar Moab visit prior to when it was coming out from multiple-use sources.

Maybe Steve can post a copy of the SUWA email he received, with header date information included. Inquiring minds want to know.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I didn't either. There was one recently about Obama being in Denver, but I saw nothing about the Salazar Moab visit prior to when it was coming out from multiple-use sources.

Maybe Steve can post a copy of the SUWA email he received, with header date information included. Inquiring minds want to know.

I think he is just pointing out that you are more likely to find out about events like this sooner from SUWA than you are from "our" groups. Not necessarily this particular event.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I got this from Chaffetz.

Chaffetz on Federal Wilderness Approach
Supports a Locally Driven Wilderness Process

Yesterday, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar held a listening session in Grand County, Utah to discuss public land-use designations. Among those invited to the session were members of the community and select stakeholders. Yesterday's listening session focused on the Department of Interior's latest attempt to include Utah lands in a comprehensive, Department-led wilderness report.

The Department heard from outdoor recreation stakeholders and community leaders about "crown jewel" public lands that could immediately be included in an Interior Department wilderness report. This report, led by Deputy Secretary David Hayes, is expected to be presented to the United States Congress on October 15th for their immediate consideration.

The Utah delegation recently wrote the Secretary regarding the report. In the letter, the delegation expressed their unified opposition to the Department's wilderness approach. The letter noted that Grand County, and 21 other Utah counties representing 99% of Utah's BLM land, support the county-by-county process. The delegation then highlighted their involvement with local officials, environmental groups, and others to identify lands suitable for wilderness and continued multiple-use.

I do not oppose wilderness. I support a collaborative, locally driven process of determining land-use designations. Utah land should not be included in the Department's wilderness report. A process for resolving land-use issues is already underway in the state. I support the county-by-county process and will continue to work with all stakeholders - including the Secretary - to ensure the process moves forward.