Sandy the buggy

RockChucker

I think you’d miss having the reds in the rocks, for sure.
This goes contrary to my experience. I’ve had a set of stickies and DOTs for 7ish years now. I’ve found the stickies are only a small percentage more grippy. When my current set of stickies are done, I probably won’t replace them. Buuuuut I’m also not a comp guy looking for every advantage possible.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
This goes contrary to my experience. I’ve had a set of stickies and DOTs for 7ish years now. I’ve found the stickies are only a small percentage more grippy. When my current set of stickies are done, I probably won’t replace them. Buuuuut I’m also not a comp guy looking for every advantage possible.
Definitely a YMMV situation but you're the only person I know that doesn't think stickies are worth it in the rocks. I think it really comes down to use. If it's for a vehicle that says mainly street miles then sure, throw some DOT's on. Also the kind of trails you do is a huge factor.

Gawynz

To add to @RockChucker's comment and my rationale... Obviously not all DOTs are the same. Looks like the DOTs you have are the 40" Pro Comp Xtreme M/T2's, I had a new set of those on my buggy originally and they were quite a bit tackier than my current SS TSL SXII's in my experience (likely not a surprise to anyone). The only reason I got rid of the M/T2's is that I tore a 6" hole in the sidewall on my second trip out, I read that several folks had sidewall issues with them, and I wanted something tougher. I had 5, so we tractor tire patched/tubed the tore tire as a spare and my brother is now running the M/T2's and they work great on his rig.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Wear out the BFG Stickies then buy the Maxxis stickies Greg has. Or trade him the 40s you have for his Maxxis. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RockChucker

Definitely a YMMV situation but you're the only person I know that doesn't think stickies are worth it in the rocks. I think it really comes down to use. If it's for a vehicle that says mainly street miles then sure, throw some DOT's on. Also the kind of trails you do is a huge factor.
For me it boils down to a few different factors. And understandably everyone's situation is going to be slightly different. For me:
1. I generally like to get to my wheeling destination area (Moab or Sand Hollow for example) and offload from the trailer and not get back on it until it's time to go home. It's nice to just drive to the trail head and not deal with a tow rig....but much of my normal group doesn't have tow rigs. I'm sure this influences this point for me.
2. The times I do run stickies, I die a little on the inside when I drive them around on the road....like @Hickey said...
3. I've been wildly impressed with my KM3s. Maybe not on the size of the tire, but the performance is quite good. There have been places where they have worked just as good as my old sticky creepy crawlers or my KR3s.
4. Cost. Let's be honest. Big tires are expensive. A DOT big tire is a lot cheaper than a sticky big tire. And the DOT tire will last longer. Regardless of street/trail mileage mix.

It would be interesting to see a 1:1 tire comparison with stickies vs DOT on the same rig on the same obstacle on the same day. Maybe @Hickey and i need to go hit an obstacle like you gotta be nuts, then swap tires and do it again.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
For me it boils down to a few different factors. And understandably everyone's situation is going to be slightly different. For me:
1. I generally like to get to my wheeling destination area (Moab or Sand Hollow for example) and offload from the trailer and not get back on it until it's time to go home. It's nice to just drive to the trail head and not deal with a tow rig....but much of my normal group doesn't have tow rigs. I'm sure this influences this point for me.
2. The times I do run stickies, I die a little on the inside when I drive them around on the road....like @Hickey said...
3. I've been wildly impressed with my KM3s. Maybe not on the size of the tire, but the performance is quite good. There have been places where they have worked just as good as my old sticky creepy crawlers or my KR3s.
4. Cost. Let's be honest. Big tires are expensive. A DOT big tire is a lot cheaper than a sticky big tire. And the DOT tire will last longer. Regardless of street/trail mileage mix.

It would be interesting to see a 1:1 tire comparison with stickies vs DOT on the same rig on the same obstacle on the same day. Maybe @Hickey and i need to go hit an obstacle like you gotta be nuts, then swap tires and do it again.
Stickies really shine when you’re on terrain you don’t belong on. I agree DOT’s are fine for a lot of trails but I don’t think they would’ve faired well at all on the stuff Kevin and I were on in SH a couple weekends back. We’re talking full throttle assault on moist sandstone kind of stuff. Spinning the tires until they’re smoking and that’s when you get traction. That’s the stupid stuff I live for.

The same can be said for the kind of terrain that you want water in the front tires for. Can you pile up thousands of trail miles in your life and be happy with DOT’s and no water? Sure. But that’s not the stuff that scratches my itch.

EDIT: and I want to make sure this doesn't come across as like "I'm so hardcore and you guys aren't." Nah, that's not it. I just like really dumb trails that are super hard. I wish I was normal lol

Last edited:

RockChucker

Stickies really shine when you’re on terrain you don’t belong on. I agree DOT’s are fine for a lot of trails but I don’t think they would’ve faired well at all on the stuff Kevin and I were on in SH a couple weekends back. We’re talking full throttle assault on moist sandstone kind of stuff. Spinning the tires until they’re smoking and that’s when you get traction. That’s the stupid stuff I live for.

The same can be said for the kind of terrain that you want water in the front tires for. Can you pile up thousands of trail miles in your life and be happy with DOT’s and no water? Sure. But that’s not the stuff that scratches my itch.

EDIT: and I want to make sure this doesn't come across as like "I'm so hardcore and you guys aren't." Nah, that's not it. I just like really dumb trails that are super hard. I wish I was normal lol
That sounds like fun.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That’d be awesome.

I just can’t afford new stickies in the next two years, and I don’t like being stuck in that situation because of tire choice. I took a huge pay cut for my new job and I have to be realistic about that.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
That’d be awesome.

I just can’t afford new stickies in the next two years, and I don’t like being stuck in that situation because of tire choice. I took a huge pay cut for my new job and I have to be realistic about that.
Is there a scenario in which you just keep both? Run the stickies on weekends like thos coming weekend and run the DOTs when your not on those weekends.
Aka Sand hollow=Stickies
Moab/5 mile=Dot.
Have Carl cut you some weld on beadlocks for the black Steelies.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is there a scenario in which you just keep both? Run the stickies on weekends like thos coming weekend and run the DOTs when your not on those weekends.
Aka Sand hollow=Stickies
Moab/5 mile=Dot.
Have Carl cut you some weld on beadlocks for the black Steelies.
Probably. It just comes down to how often I actually can wheel it in those places. It’s gonna be an awful lot of 5 mile over the next two years unless I sell my property and tractor.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sandy’s spirit lives on through the grille. Run short on gray paint? 😺 Looks much better btw. 🤘
It was a very quick and dirty color change. It’s got some heavy wrinkling, so I have to sand it all down and repaint it again. Thought I got all of the wax off, but I didn’t.