small houses - i dig 'em

sixstringsteve

I don't have a huge house, but it's WAY more than we need need. We only use half of it. I think my next house will be something like this, with a huge detached garage:

[video=youtube;ZzPfqQ90gF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPfqQ90gF8[/video]

jentzschman

I love the shipping container idea. There is a really cool design here in Utah called Sarah House:

[video=youtube;eLsuwNfRU_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsuwNfRU_8[/video]

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I love the shipping containers, I have one in my back yard that will become my bar at the cabin property when I'm done using it for storage.

sixstringsteve

Shipping containers aren't cheap to buy, and arent cheap to transport, but they sure are a cool platform to start with.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
My first house was a 1941 Bungalo in wvc . It was a breeze to clean, only 900 sq ft. 2 bedroom w/ detatched garage. Now were in a housee almost double the sq ft .
Sometimes I miss that old house (while cleaning) but I hated crawling under it to change the furnace filter (scary) .
I liked some of the ideas they have in theses little houses .
Here's something really small but cool .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLSxcLww2V4&feature=player_detailpage

jentzschman

My next home, I hope, will be a smaller, but more efficient layout. I am with Steve, I would much rather have a smaller house with a nice sized garage.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
ive been stuck on the idea of doing a shipping container cabin for years now. the long sides can hinge down to allow for floor to ceiling windows, and the sides become decks for outdoor living areas, but then it can all be 'closed up' and made more safe for when we're not around. now, ive just gotta find a place in the mountains to put one...

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Yes, some very creative ideas for a house, I know I have seen some great ones.
I do like the idea of a smaller place, but my house isn't all that big to start with.

MOODY

Bald Guy
We have been toying with the idea of a smaller home as well. 3000 SF for 4 people is a little much. If we could eliminate the basement and extra bedroom we would be set. If the market turned around and we could find something reasonable, we would be up in Kamas/Heber/Midway. Probably no shipping containers for us, but 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1200 SF cabin/home.

Caleb

I don't have a huge house, but it's WAY more than we need need. We only use half of it. I think my next house will be something like this, with a huge detached garage:

[video=youtube;ZzPfqQ90gF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPfqQ90gF8[/video]

That's pretty cool, but that toilet sink combo is pretty disgusting. I don't want my sink in the same room as my toilet, let alone on top of it :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've got some property in a ghost town in the West Desert that I plan to outfit with a 'container cabin'. There are some fantastic build threads and forums dedicated to constructing and outfitting them.

Another major bonus of the container, you can build it at home and easily have it shipped anywhere, via train or truck. Very standard shipping and they are a fantastic 'foundation' for construction given their rigidness for transport, etc. There are obvious limitation in terms of dimensions but for what I plan to do, easily overcome.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have been thinking about just sliding my house inside a shipping container if I ever have to move. The only problem would be I might have to take off the hinges on the shipping container doors to get it in. Not sure.

skeptic

Pass. I'd love to have a small, self contained, off the grid, solar + well + septic cabin as a vacation/weekend house. However, for every day living that just wouldn't work for me. Including the finished basement, we have roughly 3,700 sq ft. and it's a comfortable size. We could combine some of the rooms into multi-function and save some space, but I don't think the current size and setup is over-kill. Two boys, almost 11 and almost 15, I work from home 100% so I need a dedicated office, and none of our family lives in UT = 5 bedrooms. Two boys plus their friends or having company over with kids = two living room/tv areas. I could make due with about half the space, I made it work before our basement was finished, but it's much more convenient and comfortable now.

blznnp

I like the idea of a smaller house, and a more simple way of living and not getting caught up in all the big house craziness, our house is 3000 sq ft with the finished basement, but our next house will be 3000-3500 most likely. We also have four boys and will possibly have another so we use every bit of our house. Office for me and the wife. Baby room, two of the boys share a room, the other is in the basement. Then a play room for the boys downstairs and another family room down there and cold storage. It's a great size for our size family. Next place though will hopefully be on at least on a acre.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
We have about 2800 square feet now and will be moving into a bigger space this upcoming year on alot bigger piece of ground

I really like my space...