small houses - i dig 'em

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Interesting conversation. I share a 2100 sqft house with my wife and our great dane that sits on a 1/3 acre. We definitely have more space than we use but are still planning on wee ones and will be able to "fill in" a bit more. The big selling point for me was the size of the yard. I have about 8500 sqft of backyard thats a blank canvas. While I don't ever imagine living in a tiny house full time I would absolutely buy/build one for a cabin up in the mountains. Just a space big enough to cook, relax, and sleep.

The latest Time we got yesterday featured a few small homes, it was actually a really interesting issue which also had a bunch of info about "smart" homes.

Take a look.
Meet the Regular People Living in Americas Smartest Homes

The Smart Home

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
So you tiny house fans, how many of have you seen school buses converted into tiny homes on wheels? I realize that the idea of using a massive vehicle built for transporting juveniles is probably a turnoff from the romantic idea of a small shack in some remote mountains and I understand that.

To me this is appealing because they can be had for cheap, some are powered by reliable and simple Cummins engines and it's mobile whenever you want. Built in generator (the engine) a fair amount of space, etc. If you had some acreage, you could just drive the bus to your land and set up camp. Add a large awning to the side of the bus for outdoor shade, etc. If you were creative, you could built a roof rack / deck up top, possibly line the top with solar panels and feed a 2nd set of batteries for low power requirements without running the diesel engine.

Spend some time remodeling the interior so it was more home--like, add some RV takeouts like a sink, stove and fridge, do a little plumbing and wiring, add beds and chairs, etc.

If you decided to travel, you could easily use it as an RV... yes, fuel would be expensive... but with no mortgage your funds are pretty much freed up.

pELYgroso

'Merica
If anybody is currently looking, my neighbor across the street is selling his house soon. Cool neighborhood, very kid friendly .3 acre lots, tri level homes about 1500 sq. Feet, and his has a 25x45ish shop behind it. It will sell the first day he lists it with the shop. His brother told me he will probably sell it cheap, too but who knows. Just south of 2100 north in lehi in a quiet neighborhood about 4 minutes from i-15. I want more cool neighbors!

Tonkaman

If anybody is currently looking, my neighbor across the street is selling his house soon. Cool neighborhood, very kid friendly .3 acre lots, tri level homes about 1500 sq. Feet, and his has a 25x45ish shop behind it. It will sell the first day he lists it with the shop. His brother told me he will probably sell it cheap, too but who knows. Just south of 2100 north in lehi in a quiet neighborhood about 4 minutes from i-15. I want more cool neighbors!

I'm working on convincing the lady into moving that far south. How long till he lists it? What's is the list price?

Caleb

But you miss the point of this thread.... lol!

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

I think suggesting a $60k trailer is missing the point of the thread...or did you think the idea was to have the most expensive wooden trailer you could find? :)

R

rockdog

Didn't read this whole thread. But I'm not sure how long you could live in one of those tiny houses with a spouse before one of you killed the other! Hell what would you do with your toys and welders and such? I just can't imagine spending my whole life trying to get all my toys and tools to give em up to live minimalist!