small houses - i dig 'em

STAG

I feel I should move. I'm renting a 2,000 sq ft house with a 1.5 car garage.

I have three full bathrooms, two of which I never even go into, 3 extra bedrooms that I don't use (well two are empty, the other one has my snowmobile gear and dirtbike gear in it) I have an empty fridge, one shelf of food in the pantry, and am only home for about six hours per night. My utilities bill was only $13 last month because I am never there ha.

I also pay for Netflix and WiFi, neither of which have I used in months. (I cancelled the Dish TV already for lack-of-use)

My garage isn't big enough for my liking, but I have a decent sized yard.

Ideally I would like to have like a 3-4 bay shop with just a loft apartment, 400 sq ft would work.

I know, I'm a hermit.

sixstringsteve

I feel I should move. I'm renting a 2,000 sq ft house with a 1.5 car garage.

I have three full bathrooms, two of which I never even go into, 3 extra bedrooms that I don't use (well two are empty, the other one has my snowmobile gear and dirtbike gear in it) I have an empty fridge, one shelf of food in the pantry, and am only home for about six hours per night. My utilities bill was only $13 last month because I am never there ha.

I also pay for Netflix and WiFi, neither of which have I used in months. (I cancelled the Dish TV already for lack-of-use)

My garage isn't big enough for my liking, but I have a decent sized yard.

Ideally I would like to have like a 3-4 bay shop with just a loft apartment, 400 sq ft would work.

I know, I'm a hermit.

I'm in exactly the same boat. In fact, my wife is on board with the idea too.

sixstringsteve

I'm halfway through the "tiny" documentary on netflix. It's pretty interesting. To me, the most interesting part is how their tiny house has affected their life for the better. They find they have more time to do what they really want to be doing. I never would have equated a smaller, simpler house with more time to enjoy the finer things in life.

Last edited:

jentzschman

I love the idea about tiny living, though there would have to be a balance for me, I like toys ;) That being said, I would have to have at least 2 full bathrooms and 2-3 bedrooms. I have actually thought about this for my next place of residence.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Count me out. I'd like 3000 sq ft w/ 5 beds, 3 baths. Current house is 1900 and I'd like more.
I'm a big person so I need room. I also can't imagine living in a shack with kids- that would suck. First-world problems, I know.

193kyle

My wife and I live in a small 700 square foot basement apartment, 2 bed, 1 bath. And while it is very cheap to live here, after being here for 2 years, I am definitely ready for some more space. On the plus side, we are 6 months or less away from being completely debt free, and that is a fantastic feeling!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I want a small house. But the only catch is that I need a decent shop and enough dirt to farm enough food for me and my family. I really do want to go OTG. Someday soon.

Caleb

Count me out. I'd like 3000 sq ft w/ 5 beds, 3 baths. Current house is 1900 and I'd like more.
I'm a big person so I need room. I also can't imagine living in a shack with kids- that would suck. First-world problems, I know.

My current house is 3600 sqft, my wife and I were talking last night that about having more space. She wants a little more...I'd agree. :D

My wife and I live in a small 700 square foot basement apartment, 2 bed, 1 bath. And while it is very cheap to live here, after being here for 2 years, I am definitely ready for some more space. On the plus side, we are 6 months or less away from being completely debt free, and that is a fantastic feeling!
Being debt free is worth more than anything. It completely puts you in control of your life.

D

Deleted member 12904

I want a small cabin. Off the grid and to visit not to live in full time.

jentzschman

Tiny or micro living is a mindset more that anything else. The difficult part about it (as I see it) is learning to live with less but that is hard for use toy junkies. That is why imho it is a balancing act between enough space and not too much space. I can see how having too much space one can easily clutter it up with, well, crap and things of no real value or use. While leaving tiny one has to prioritize what is important.

sixstringsteve

exactly. I think it'd be tough for me to live in a tiny house. I'm pretty attached to my toys and stuff. It'd be a good exercise for me to wean myself off all the junk I don't need.

D

Deleted member 12904

x2

Small cabin somewhere where there IS NO cell service.... 40 acres, aspens and pines. I already know where I want to buy and found 40 acres for a decent price. :cool:

Man an I would settle for a cheap 1 acre in the desert. My thing is I want to find it within 1 and a half hour drive from my home.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Man an I would settle for a cheap 1 acre in the desert. My thing is I want to find it within 1 and a half hour drive from my home.

I bet if you looked hard, it wouldn't be too difficult to find just that (or more) for a decent price. Land in the middle of the desert, without power and water will be cheap.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Buy in Gold Hill, we can start a compound :D

I'm still a few years out but I do plan to put a 'container-cabin' on my property. I've bounced around from a single container to dual containers bridged with a roof system for shade/storage. Cost is obviously a factor as is the limited frequency of use. In the ideal world I could have the containers locally to build and 100% finish them out then have them placed on site, preferably on a cement pad.

Caleb

Let me know when you want to build a new house. ;)

:rofl: I don't know if I'm willing to build again. I've built our last two homes and it's a ton of extra work and money. With that said, I'm sure we'll end up building again so we get exactly what we want.

I'm with Greg, 40+ acres with a nice little cabin on it. I want it largely forested (if not all), a water source (stream, river, pond, etc) on the property and within 2 hours of my house (maybe slightly further for the perfect place).

D

Deleted member 12904

Buy in Gold Hill, we can start a compound :D

I'm still a few years out but I do plan to put a 'container-cabin' on my property. I've bounced around from a single container to dual containers bridged with a roof system for shade/storage. Cost is obviously a factor as is the limited frequency of use. In the ideal world I could have the containers locally to build and 100% finish them out then have them placed on site, preferably on a cement pad.
Google has very little info on any land for sale in this area aside from a few old listings without much info. Look like a neat area if you have any info you can send my way or point me to please do.