So how horrible is living in Grantsville??

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
So weve been looking for a new place to hang our hat.

2 reasons.....

1- wife wants to be closer to work

2- I want a shop

She works out by the airport.

We would prefer to live in the south Davis county area but in order to get what we want in a home we would be 300k or more. Just cant afford that. We are looking at the 200k mark.

So it seems like the only place we can afford what we are looking for is in Tooele county.

We have actually looked at a couple places in Grantsville. One pretty much has MMP rock course in the back yard. Its the closest house to it. That one the house is awesome, the property is good. But the shop....altho is good sized length and width, only has a 7' ceiling height. Kind of a shame.

Well she found one today that really might be just what we want. Newer home, 1/2 acre, shop in the back that appears big enough for my junk, and under 200k. I would like a little more property but I can live with that.

So.....besides being in close proximity to Tacoma.......how bad is living in Grantsville?

The other issue is I will probably have to find new employment. While the drive for the wife to the airport will be doable....the drive to Davis county everyday would suck. I work new home construction. The wife makes good money and likes her job. Her switching jobs is not an option.

What says RME?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I would live in Granstville. My wife and I seriously looked at houses there a few years back.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
my in laws are out there and its a pretty cool little town. A lot of small town pride, everyone attends the high school sports and what not. They also have a lot of community events-4th of July, Old Folks Sociable, etc...

I have thought about it but my work is an 8 min drive right now and I don't want to trade it for a 50 min one... :D

Tonkaman

I know I would love to live out there, especially if your finding those gems. Deal breaker for me is the girlfriend probably couldn't survive the winter commute.

The new housing market is pretty crappy still. I think it would depend on your ability to get a new job with a company that actually keeps busy

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Sadly the schools in Tooele are not that great.. if you have kids it may be something you want to look into (just moved from Tooele).. Don't expect a lot of new home construction in Tooele so you will prolly still have to drive to Salt Lake daily. So glad we got out of Tooele County - so many more options for the kids and social life in Salt Lake (well actually just barely into Utah county)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am in the preliminary stages of building a new house in Grantsville I love it out there, I currently live in Tooele

Tonkaman

Sadly the schools in Tooele are not that great.. if you have kids it may be something you want to look into (just moved from Tooele).. Don't expect a lot of new home construction in Tooele so you will prolly still have to drive to Salt Lake daily. So glad we got out of Tooele County - so many more options for the kids and social life in Salt Lake (well actually just barely into Utah county)

Do you mind going into more detail about the cons of living out there? I'm actually very curious since I have some friends looking to move that way also

ChestonScout

I do have a 4 year old boy. So he would be going to all of his school out there.

capt scotty

The company I am selling homes for (Compass Pointe Homes) is building new homes in Grantsville right now. They are selling well because of the low costs of land. We have a huge line of plans and lots available. Most are 1/2 acre so there is room to built the shop you want/need. The commute might be farther to SLC but I think some days it is quicker than the south end of the valley. Let me know if I can help. Good Luck.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Do you mind going into more detail about the cons of living out there? I'm actually very curious since I have some friends looking to move that way also

Schools are a big thing for me.. sadly they rank low in testing, mostly title 1 schools, don't have a lot of extra curricular opportunities.. since moving the level of work both of my kids have been working on is significantly more difficult and have had many more opportunities for extra curricular activities. The next thing is commute... my wife had a few 3+ hour commutes last year due to the weather and driving 100 miles a day has to be taken into account for wear and tear - fuel costs etc (we save about $350 a month now that we live in the valley). If you like to eat out, go to bars etc your choices are limited. There are good things about living out there just none of them in my mind outweighed the education factor and opportunities for my kids.

ChestonScout

Do they need a Finish Carpenter??? :D

I dont have a lot of interest in building a new home. The one Im in now we built. Its just so much work with the yard and what not. I think it saves a ton of time and money to buy pre existing.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There is a pretty sweet house across the street from some friends of mine for sale in Erda, has a shop, big garage, etc... also around the corner from Aaron Clough, so that might be something.

And living within reach of me is good for parts and tools, jerk. :cody: :rofl:

ChestonScout

There is a pretty sweet house across the street from some friends of mine for sale in Erda, has a shop, big garage, etc... also around the corner from Aaron Clough, so that might be something.

And living within reach of me is good for parts and tools, jerk. :cody: :rofl:

I looked at one on Erda way a month or so ago. But I think it was closer to Gville than Erda. Any idea of a address? The wife and I will be going out friday to check out the one she found

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I looked at one on Erda way a month or so ago. But I think it was closer to Gville than Erda. Any idea of a address? The wife and I will be going out friday to check out the one she found

Erda is typically much much more spendy than grantsville everything around Aarons place is around 350k and up due to the 2.5 and 5 acre lots

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

Fyi anyone considering compass pointe (building a lot of homes in Grantsville) needs to contact me. I have some extremely serious issues in my home right now that if where in your shoes I would like to see and or know about.