So how horrible is living in Grantsville??

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
good grief!

settling cracks in sheetrock is fairly normal.....but walls seperating??

I did have one wall that was seperating from the ceiling in one house a few years ago. After climbing in the attic I noticed the framers didnt attach the wall to the trusses. Everytime the front door closed it would make enough pressure to move the whole stinkin wall!! easy fix on that one. Rookie framers

Sorry to hear its major issues! Hope they take care of it without to much of a fight. how old is the home?

D

Deleted member 12904

good grief!

settling cracks in sheetrock is fairly normal.....but walls seperating??

I did have one wall that was seperating from the ceiling in one house a few years ago. After climbing in the attic I noticed the framers didnt attach the wall to the trusses. Everytime the front door closed it would make enough pressure to move the whole stinkin wall!! easy fix on that one. Rookie framers

Sorry to hear its major issues! Hope they take care of it without to much of a fight. how old is the home?
about 2.5 years. It's been within the past month that it's getting really bad. My back door won't open anymore and the bathroom closet door is open but won't close. Also the back fill was done so poorly my ac pad has two units on it and it dropped 18" and had the lines holding the units up.

LT.

I am all for the move but, I fail to see how anyone who lives in the salt lake valley knows anything about a small town feeling. When one town runs into another and the separating lines are blended. When we go and visit from Spanish Fork all the way to Ogden I dont know where one town ends and another begins.

Since you are talking about moving, come on down the the land of entrapment. Here we know where one town ends and another begins because they are separted by 50 miles. Lol. Heck, here in New Mexico your Scout would be street legal.

LT.

ChestonScout

Grantsville is on the other side of the mountains west of Salt Lake. Not Salt Lake valley.

New Mexico????? pshhhh.......nothing but sage brush and sand there

Houndoc

The gnat season is annoying, but short.

The construction complaints have been excessive settling driveways, uneven floors etc. Just rushed construction.

As far as the army depot, I still laugh about my youngest. When she was about 5 or so, she went through a stage when she was scared of thunder. One afternoon we heard a loud rumble while playing in the yard- she got scared, looked around and realized it was a clear sunny day.

With a smile she says "its okay, they are just exploding bombs" and ran off to play, obviously glad it wasn't thunder! I guess bombs are much safer.

I have heard some people mention that 'old time' Grantsville residents are not excepting of new comers. We have not found that to be the case at all- but again that depends on the new move-ins attitudes. Those who move there and expect it to change for them (as has been discussed) are not warmly welcomed.

ChestonScout

Hahaha

If the wife didnt have a good job I would be heading for NV. Get a job in the gold mines for 30 bucks an hour and buy 5 acres for 10 grand. Best wheelin in the world out there to. My buddy that lives out there has the funnest rock trail about 200 yards out his back door. Its a rugged landscape but I enjoy it.

Actually his place is what made me desire the small town life. Of course Golconda NV makes Grantsville look like a booming metropolis

LT.

Grantsville is on the other side of the mountains west of Salt Lake. Not Salt Lake valley.

New Mexico????? pshhhh.......nothing but sage brush and sand there

Don't forget horrible cops and catus. I am unfamiliar with most of Utah just the I-15 corridor. Acutally I am quite dangerous while in Utah. I know just enough to get myself lost.

The small town feel is when you leave your house unlocked, keys in all vehicles, trailers unsecured, and stuff can sit outside and not be disturbed. While on this board I often see vehicles and trailers stolen. Not that it can't happen here but, I think it happens much less often. That is how I would define small town anyways.

Let me know if and when you move. I would be happy to come up and help y'all move. It is not like I don't have plenty of trailers and trucks. Shoot, the hardest and heaviest stuff you have to move is probabally my junk anyways.

LT.

ChestonScout

Thanks Rob!

I thought of another question today after seeing Black ZJ's post. Does Tooele Valley get the inversion and bad air like we do on the Wasatch Front?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We do get inversions. I can personally verify that today's inversion extends from Grantsville to Denver, with a few clear spots mixed in.

There is less smog, overall though. Grantsville typically gets less snow than Tooele. The worst of most storms misses us and pounds Tooele. Just depends on the direction the storm is traveling. If it's East to West, it will miss us. North to South, we get hit. Not very much lake effect.

Speaking of snow, how does your wife feel about snowy commutes? Most of the year she will have very quick commutes. I-80 gets hit bad from Lake Point to Bangerter. Lots of Lake effect, when no one else is getting it. The worst is usually right at exit 99 and mile marker 106 (the bend of doom).

My wife commuted to draper for 6 years. Since April, her stress has dropped dramatically. There were days when it would just be crazy to make the commute, and some of those I drove her in myself. Some of them Itold her to stay home, it isn't worth it.

ChestonScout

She actually does pretty good in the snow. I could see I80 being bad but not near the traffic that she has to fight on I15 right now on snowy days. It took her 2 hours to make the 45 min drive on that last storm we had.

She can work from home occasionally and I wouldnt be against driving her on bad days as well.

We are getting ready to head out that way to look at a couple places now. We will look at the one with a offer already.....altho I know thats gonna be a no go. Look at the one Tacoma posted. And we found one in Tooele with a decent looking shop.

ChestonScout

Well....looked at 3 properties today.

First one was the place my wife loved thats short sale with an offer in already. Its the one in Grantsville that started this whole idea. House is ok. Has nice wood flooring but most of the carpet has been ripped out. From the carpet that is still there I can tell why. House was built in 2001. Its not the best quality but I think its a decent house. No foundation issues, framing looks good etc..... they just used really cheap materials inside which is pretty common for homes built back then. Fast and cheap. The yard was nice. Shop was ok sized. Wish it was a few feet deeper. Plenty of room for parking my junk. I cant remember the name of the subdivsion now but its on Davenport Dr. Also found out its a HOA. I dont like that idea much. After seeing it.....the wife didnt like it. I liked it more than I thought I would but I wouldnt pay more than the offer of 180k they already have.

The second one was in Tooele. Kind of on the north west side of town. Nice but the shop only had a 7' tall door and the ceiling height wasnt high enough to add to. Not enough room. No thanks. It was 200k

Third was the one Tacoma told me about earlier in this thread. from the road this place looks perfect. Shop is BIG, house is older but nice. Big yard. But we were only able to look from the road. Only sign up out front is a no trespassing sign!! Tacoma says he heard it was going into foreclosure but doesnt really know for sure. He is doing some research for me. I really hope this one turns up for sale. As long as its in the price range Im ready to move in!

Guess we will see what happens

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Davenport is in South Willow subdivision. That's where I live. The HOA is quite reasonable, in my opinion. Mostly it just maintains the green areas and paths in the subdivision, and make sure people finish their front landscaping. It doesn't interfere with my lifestyle, and I can see the good it does.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Inversion here is less awful and far, far less frequent than in SLC. Winds out of the South clear out at least Tooele pretty well..

Will check on the current status of that house asap.

ChestonScout

Davenport is in South Willow subdivision. That's where I live. The HOA is quite reasonable, in my opinion. Mostly it just maintains the green areas and paths in the subdivision, and make sure people finish their front landscaping. It doesn't interfere with my lifestyle, and I can see the good it does.

Thats good to hear.

Will they complain if I have an old ugly semi truck with a stupid loud Detroit motor? It would be parked out back by the shop.

The money doesnt bother me to bad if they are actually doing things with it.

Side note.........

Last spring I went and test drove a 08 F350 dually that was in this same neighborhood. We drove around Gville a bit then went back into the neighborhood. I just pulled over on the side of the road and popped the hood to look things over. I was there about 15 minutes and literally had 5 people stop to see if I needed help!! Thats small town to me. Very impressive

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Semi behind the house is fine. Same with RV's. There are plenty of people with loud tractors. If you park it out front for a short time they won't bother you. If it's parked out front for a month, they may ask you to move it.

The rules really boil down to: keep the front yard looking decent, and put your trailer in back. They won't say a word about working on your junk in, or around your garage. I built a trailer a few years ago, it involved a ton of welding, grinding, and various other loud activities. All done in my garage with the doors wide open. Never heard a peep.