So how horrible is living in Grantsville??

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It is very quiet here. The local police are Nazis. They will ticket you for 2 mph over speed limit. They NEVER give a warning. They had over 200k in revenue from speeding tickets last year, Tooele had 90k.

You have to drive into Tooele for everything.

Both elementary schools are new.

There is a Walmart DC in town, so if you hate Walmart, I would go elsewhere.
Deviants neighborhood and mine have excellent trail access, and you can ride atvs on most streets. I could commute to work with a UTV.

There are plenty of crotchety old fart locals who hate outsiders.

But it's quiet. Very much so.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
It all sounds good to me.

Tell me more about the trails you have access to. I love the idea of riding the bike from home to get in the hills

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
That cool one that goes up to the monte carlo mine is very close to the west side of town

Houndoc

I have been in Grantsville for going on 12 years. Its awful, stay away. Leave us in peace.

Actually, we have loved it (I say that honestly, although part of me certainly does not want to encourage more people to move there- I want to keep the small town feel.)

On the schools, I think it is a mixed bag. We have found the teachers are very caring and interested in their students. This has been true in all grades (we have now had kids in all grades, k-12). They used to have some wonderful traditions at the schools, including First Grade Circus, Nutcracker (4th grade?) but some of those where lost a few years ago when the school burned and a lot of props where lost.

In the high school level, we are a small 3A school. That does limit some of the options for activities, AP classes etc. At the same time, it is very easy for the students to be involved in the teams and activities and get to know the teachers, counselors, administration etc. Same for parents who are willing to get involved. The high school has a new principal this year who is doing great things, and I think the new district superintendent is also making some very positive changes.

One thing that you need to be prepared for is the fact that our stores are all small, locally owned. No fast food chains. To many that is a plus (I am in that camp) but we get some people who move here then complain about lack of shopping or 10 mile drive to McDonalds. Do not move to Grantsville and then hope it will change for you. There is a real effort to keep the small town feel, even as we know we will grow and look for new businesses.

Should you decide to come out our way, do be very careful on builder selection. One of the most active current subdivisions has had rapid growth over the last few years and I have heard lots of complaints from friends who live there over shoddy home construction.

R

rockdog

If you don't mind wearing a nylon sock on your head in the spring/summer! Damn biting gnats. Helped frame the junior high out there years ago. The things were terrible. Guy that lived out there worked with us hooked us up with the bank robber sock deal. Worked damn good!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have no input on Grantsville other than doing some shooting out there, but all of the small town qualities it has going plus less effects from the inversion are reasons I would live there if I were looking to go west of the valley. We plan to move to Morgan next year for all the same reasons.

D

Deleted member 12904

If you don't mind wearing a nylon sock on your head in the spring/summer! Damn biting gnats. Helped frame the junior high out there years ago. The things were terrible. Guy that lived out there worked with us hooked us up with the bank robber sock deal. Worked damn good!

Bugs and spiders are really bad.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You should also know that Tooele Army Depot disposes of low grade explosives on the south end of the valley. By dispose, I mean blow shit up. Doesn't bother me, but it may bother your dog/cat/unsuspecting relative.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
This may also affect resale down the road.

Especially way down the road....on the south end of the valley:eek:.

I don't think it will hurt resale value down the road if it isn't hurting it now. They are currently blowing stuff up.

ChestonScout

Ya.....im not to worried about resale. pretty sure i will be in my next house til i die. especially if it has a good shop. booms dont scare me much........i wheel a Scout!

ChestonScout

I have been in Grantsville for going on 12 years. Its awful, stay away. Leave us in peace.

Actually, we have loved it (I say that honestly, although part of me certainly does not want to encourage more people to move there- I want to keep the small town feel.)

On the schools, I think it is a mixed bag. We have found the teachers are very caring and interested in their students. This has been true in all grades (we have now had kids in all grades, k-12). They used to have some wonderful traditions at the schools, including First Grade Circus, Nutcracker (4th grade?) but some of those where lost a few years ago when the school burned and a lot of props where lost.

In the high school level, we are a small 3A school. That does limit some of the options for activities, AP classes etc. At the same time, it is very easy for the students to be involved in the teams and activities and get to know the teachers, counselors, administration etc. Same for parents who are willing to get involved. The high school has a new principal this year who is doing great things, and I think the new district superintendent is also making some very positive changes.

One thing that you need to be prepared for is the fact that our stores are all small, locally owned. No fast food chains. To many that is a plus (I am in that camp) but we get some people who move here then complain about lack of shopping or 10 mile drive to McDonalds. Do not move to Grantsville and then hope it will change for you. There is a real effort to keep the small town feel, even as we know we will grow and look for new businesses.

Should you decide to come out our way, do be very careful on builder selection. One of the most active current subdivisions has had rapid growth over the last few years and I have heard lots of complaints from friends who live there over shoddy home construction.

Thanks for the info!

Im sure it would do me some good to not have fast food on every corner. lol. Of course I dont plan on moving anywhere and expecting it to change for me. Im not from CA!! Im 100% fine with the small town life. And 10 miles into town really isnt a big deal anyway.

I dont plan on buying new and I have a good eye for a poorly built home. Ive seen plenty. Maybe I will have to start a remodel/handyman business out there. Sounds like I would be busy!

I would like to hear some specifics on the shoddy work

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
As far as shoddy work, I would guess it's the same thing you would find in most subdivisions built in 2000-2010. Builders were building as fast as possible, so quality suffered.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have a handful of walls full on seperating in my home. I haven't had a chance to get an inspector but I suspect it is foundation issue related.