Jeep So... I just put down a deposit- The Britney rebuild thread.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Let's talk about that angle grinder hanger on the side of your bench. Is that a Carlos Cuts item?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I finally got the rear tires/wheels on today. I had to order a 9/16 tap and die to chase the threads on several wheel studs.
407573A4-4C0C-4650-8C30-8C675E10157B.jpeg

I slid the front axle under the leaf springs and decided to dig up some shims that I've been carting around for 20 years. I pulled the bottom short leaf and replaced it with the shim. That should lower the front a little and help that pinion angle a little. I can't wait for next winter when I can yank the leaf springs and 4 link the front.

CDDC974C-24C8-4657-B643-675C42512CFF.jpeg
29451274-80EA-4DDD-9E50-1D97AEA4BAA0.jpeg
857904CD-3F74-40CA-9A0F-35FE36F435C0.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So much better. Great progress since you set her free.
It's certainly an exercise in focus. I keep finding so much that needs updating or repairing with every bolt I turn.

When I first found this rear 14 bolt I was so excited because it was only 63" wide. Back then we didn't have 17" wheels or even decent 16" wheels, so 15" steelies were put in with 2.5" back spacing.

Full width axles looked absolutely stupid on a CJ/YJ/TJ back then with the wheel options available.

Now that I've got 4.5" backspaced wheels that clear the brakes and steering, this thing almost looks like I could cover the tires with TJ fender flares.

Kinda makes me think about building a rear tub like an LJ and making it more streetable...

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's certainly an exercise in focus. I keep finding so much that needs updating or repairing with every bolt I turn.

When I first found this rear 14 bolt I was so excited because it was only 63" wide. Back then we didn't have 17" wheels or even decent 16" wheels, so 15" steelies were put in with 2.5" back spacing.

Full width axles looked absolutely stupid on a CJ/YJ/TJ back then with the wheel options available.

Now that I've got 4.5" backspaced wheels that clear the brakes and steering, this thing almost looks like I could cover the tires with TJ fender flares.

Kinda makes me think about building a rear tub like an LJ and making it more streetable...
Flatbed!