Political So now what

Political discussions within

02SE

I fins this hilarious. The Republicans haven't been "for small government" for over 30 years. They want to expand the government just as much as the Democrats. They are just expanding it in different areas.

I hear all the rallying calls to eliminate this or that agency, yet when they have the power in all 3 major governing bodies NOTHING gets done.

I always find this funny from modern conservatives. If Trump cam out to eliminate SS and Medicaid the 2 biggest money drains outside of defense, pretty much every old conservative would have a fit and pitch about how "I put into the system...blah, blah, blah" it's comical really.

Cut entitlements, defense spending (3 biggest portions of the over sized government) and then I will believe someone say they are ACTUALLY for smaller government.
You liked your post so much you posted it twice?

The clue is in my comment you quoted...

"most closely aligns with my small Government beliefs."

The Republicans are nearly as bad as the Democrats.

As I've already stated, I'd vote Libertarian if they had a chance. Since they don't, I vote for (stop me if you've heard this before) the lesser of two evils...

I'd love to have all the money back that I've involuntarily contributed to SS over the years. With Interest. Or the money I paid towards Unemployment Insurance for past employees. Hell, my Taxes went up to help pay for the China Virus relief, but I certainly didn't get any money from Trump or Biden for it.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Do any of you guys really think you’re gonna change each others minds with the way you present your arguments?
My opinions actually do get informed by some of what I read here. Of course, by that I mean it makes me realize that all political wheezings and mental strainings are pointless, government sucks and we don’t have a virtuous enough electorate to make a change from the bottom so might as well look after me and mine and treat politics like the mindless entertainment that it is.

But yeah, I find value in that.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Now the question of whether I'm Gay? No. I'm not sure why you posited that, as I've never had an issue with anyone being gay.
I wasn't accusing you of being gay, more just curious why this specific subject is such a hot point for you when there are likely many other issues that directly impact or restrict your rights substantially more than gender pronouns.
As I told you when we were talking at Bewilder, I have a nephew who is gay. His being gay changes nothing. I love my nephew. I know he struggled for years with the idea that he is gay, since the LDS church he was raised in, is not the most welcoming to gay people. His husband seems like a good guy to me, and I'm happy for them. We're not supposed to have favorites in families, but he is my favorite family member.

I didn't know what "Grinder" meant. I'm glad someone else 'Googled' that, as I was able to understand what it was from the comments.

If there is some concern that my objection to Kamala is that she is a woman, rest assured that doesn't matter to me in elected officials. I have voted for women who won their election campaigns, and went on to represent me and everyone else in their district. Mia Love being just one of the women I have voted for.

In short, or TLDR, Kamala's track record in all of her positions current and past, means I would never vote for her for anything.
All good. I think you're a good person, so hopefully I haven't crossed any lines personally.

Cody, you're better than this.
Arguably, at best.
Take some time to read up on JD Vance as well while you're finding out about Kamala. As I've stated before, I am no fan of his politics, but statements like this are so annoying because its just totally uninformed hyperbole. If you really read about his background and policy positions, there's nothing in there that's even remotely close to some "Gilead" White Christian Nationalist dystopian vision. (In reality its more big government, industrial policy, union pandering than even Al Gore or John Kerry were willing to propose.)
For example, did you know that he married an Indian woman in a Hindu ceremony and they maintain a mixed faith household? Sounds like a rather modern American family to me, doesn't it? Not exactly something welcomed by the White Nationalist movements.
I do need to. I've admittedly read very little and have only judged based upon what I've been told. Mostly to the tune of his menstrual surveillance ideas and that he wants to overturn the Biden era medical privacy laws, and track women who seek reproductive care in other states.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Mostly to the tune of his menstrual surveillance ideas..., and track women who seek reproductive care in other states.
I'd love to see your sources on that, because I've never once read or seen a a reliable source showing him or anyone with any credibility to actually be proposing such insane ideas. Its just the fever dream of the left wing of our politics. In fact, I'd call it the mirror image of the right's obsession with LGBTQIA++@XYZCOPTER stuff. Churn up the most insane talking points you can, take anything you hear out of context and turn it to 11 and then pin it on whoever remotely seems to agree with some semblance of your greatest fear. Rinse, repeat.

If anything, the Republican Party is moving to the left on social issues, not the right. Just look at them removing a national abortion ban from their platform in 2024 as an example. That's got a lot of the "religious right" up in a tizzy.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Mostly to the tune of his menstrual surveillance ideas and that he wants to overturn the Biden era medical privacy laws, and track women who seek reproductive care in other states.
Are these recent statements by Vance? That is disturbing at any rate. I can’t imagine those two things passing any judicial review. 4th amendment at the very least.

Edit: I can definitely see Stephen being right about this being fake shit that’s stirred up by far left nut jobs. My brother sends me all kinds of wacky stuff about reproductive rights being trampled on by the supposed right wing, but they’re just B.S.

Both extremes engage in this behavior.