Political So now what

Political discussions within

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yeah, if you read about Trump's random acts of charity over the years its kinda odd compared to the confrontational persona he's adopted. I remember reading long before he was a political figure about how he'd see a random construction crews in NYC on a hot day and order lunch and drinks delivered from his car phone. Not even one of his building projects. That said, good PR for him. And he loves attention.
The problem is people are so tribal they can't even acknowledge that Trump has ever done anything kind or redeeming. Not saying the net sum is good or bad, but even an ass hole has a moment every now and then, even if the motive is not pure. I'm certain Trump donating his salary was for his own megalomania but who cares, he did in fact donate it. I'm sure he took some compensation in some other way, just like they all do.

I get a kick out of people who think it's only one party siphoning money from our pockets for their own greedy desires.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Here’s one for you…
We all know it’s common practice for Mexican men to work in the U.S. and send their money back to their family in Mexico.

I had a tenant prepay 2 months back in October because he was going to go visit family through thanksgiving. I just found out that he never came back! He stayed to work there, and now sends his money back to his family in the U.S.!!!

Talk about a serious economy indicator when drywall hangers stay in Mexico for work 😳

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Net immigration with Mexico has been negative for almost 20 years I think. Mexico may build the wall for us if we're not careful.
That is an interesting statement. Peaked my interest. This is what Pew has to say about the topic. I would have never guessed it was so balanced. I learn something everyday. I do wonder how they count for the millions here working that go back and forth.

1683561771241.png

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
That is an interesting statement. Peaked my interest. This is what Pew has to say about the topic. I would have never guessed it was so balanced. I learn something everyday. I do wonder how they count for the millions here working that go back and forth.

View attachment 159588
Remember that most of the people crossing the southern border illegally aren't from Mexico, they are from other countries and Mexico simply allows them to transit their country relatively unimpeded to get to the US.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Remember that most of the people crossing the southern border illegally aren't from Mexico, they are from other countries and Mexico simply allows them to transit their country relatively unimpeded to get to the US.
I watched a documentary about people riding trains from South America into Mexico. The southern Mexican boarder was their biggest obstacle, however a little payment to the right person greased the wheels.

Jesser04

A friend of my had a landscaping business one of his employees was from South America. He talk about riding on top of a train for a couple days said they’d run their belt through the bars on the top to keep from falling off if they fell asleep.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Speaking fees, board memberships, trusteeships, property, etc. etc.

For example, when I was Speakers Board Chairman for the Associated Students of the University of Utah back in 2005-2006, everyone in ASUU wanted me to book Colin Powell. Would have been awesome, but his fee was $50,000! Our budget was $53,000 for the whole year, so needless to say I didn't book him.

And Powell was far from the most expensive. Bill Clinton was north of $150k, Margaret Thatcher was in the $100k zone. And this was all just for them to come to campus and talk for an hour or so. Plus we had pick up the bill for everything else, hotel, transport, security, food. Not a bad way to make a living!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I totally get the books, book tours, speaking engagements etc but who really wants to buy books from some of these people? Or have them for speaking engagements? I know I’m not a great example of the everyman but there are a select few that interest me at all. Seems like a coverup to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I totally get the books, book tours, speaking engagements etc but who really wants to buy books from some of these people? Or have them for speaking engagements? I know I’m not a great example of the everyman but there are a select few that interest me at all. Seems like a coverup to me 🤷🏼‍♂️
Same dolts that vote for them

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Big business conventions spend a LOT of money bringing in keynote speakers. I saw the Goracle at a pbl convention in college in 2001, and that was fresh off his election controversy and Manbearpig Spiritquest. I imagine that wasn't cheap. I saw Tipper at another event later that year. The 2k1 Tipper Double Dipper. Big year. Yuuuge!

I did the photography for a cardiologist convention in Orlando just after that, and The Dubya was speaking at it. Probably less than 3k attendees, but full on secret service security when he came through for that. It was kind of cool to witness, and is the only time I've ever been within an arms reach of a sitting President.

Point is, these guys do a lot more of this kind of work than us common folk might expect. I bet they can book out a half mill in speaking and appearance monies every month and only work a few days.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
You have to remember that, although the vast majority of people on this forum, and probably even those that live around you, would agree with you… there is about 50% of the population who would think you are the crazy person.

Just drive through East Salt Lake for a few minutes and you will quickly see that nearly nobody there would share your point of view