So there's this huge elephant in the living room...

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I didn't read through all these posts although I'm sure all were good.
So I don't know if this has been addressed or not, if so I apologize.
One thing that's making fuel so expensive is there is allot more commodities trading then a couple years ago, oil is being bought and sold many times before it actually gets to the pump.

We as Americans are buying oil futures then sitting on them till the price goes up then selling to make more cash, this is driving the price up..

That's not he only reason oil prices have gone up but it's a major contributor.

That and the oil companies have realized American's wont stop driving no matter how much they raise prices, and it's true.
Unfortunately I cant stop driving and I'm not moving my entire family to SLC so I can save on fuel costs.
Payson to NSL is spendy at the end of the year hell I just paid $4.55 pr gallon to fill up.
Ouch!

Last edited:

jesse

Masshole
Side note.

I'm going Waste Vegi Oil as soon as I can afford the kit. May even be before I can afford it..

i'd do it asap even if you had to put it on a credit card. you could probably easily have it payed off in a year with the money you would have been spending on fuel

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Try filling a 1 Ton Dodge diesel.... :eek: Over $150 a tank.

I'm seriously thinking about a natural gas car and home filling station.

Problem is everyone else is thinking of doing the same... as demand goes up, price inevitably will too. While even if it doubled it would likely still be advantageous, it would really set back the margins??

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Problem is everyone else is thinking of doing the same... as demand goes up, price inevitably will too. While even if it doubled it would likely still be advantageous, it would really set back the margins??

Perhaps, you'd be circumventing the gas stations, fuel refinery's, transportation costs, etc. A lot of the people who are making money on fuel would essentially get bypassed.

Right now Catherine driving the Dodge daily, spending $600/mo. That's over $7000 yr just on diesel. If we parked the Dodge, bought a NG car for around $10k and a home filling station for $4k, we'd be into it $14k. Add in the $.70/gallon for NG, I think the expense margin will be worthwhile.

Gas has been inevitably rising, how long has it taken to go from 'no big deal' to 'unaffordable'? Sure natural gas may rise with demand, but in the meantime it beats paying the high costs for gas or diesel. I'm not saying it's a permanent solution, but temporary relief.

I'd love to see a engine system designed for hydrogen, IMO that's the answer.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Perhaps, you'd be circumventing the gas stations, fuel refinery's, transportation costs, etc. A lot of the people who are making money on fuel would essentially get bypassed.

Very true... though I think for many (most?) the best option would be to buy a cheap commuter that gets ~30mpg. $2-4k Hondas, Toyotas, etc. Diesel was really lucrative a couple of years back too... now look where it has gone as demand increased. I'd just hate to get setup and incur the initial costs just to have the prices jump or worse the gas prices drop (unlikely). Same argument for bio-diesel or just a diesel swap. With a 75 cent premium over gas I'd have to drive 100k just to recoup the conversion costs :-\

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I suck at the internet, so:

POSTED BY GREG.....

"Of course the same can be said for OTR trucks... anything that gets put on a boat, train or semi is going to cost more to get to you. That just pisses me off!"

I drive Domino's at night, and I delivered to a over the road hauler. His fuel costs are $.90 a mile, overall running is $1.75 a mile. Ree Fawking Dick U Lous!

"I'd also love to see the auto industry build a diesel hybrid, Volkswagen can make a diesel car get 50 MPG why not toss in an electric motor and get 75 MPG? I think the auto industry could try a lot harder for better mileage if it
really tried. The attempts so far have been just to pacify the public, IMO."

Anybody here read Popular Mechanics? Volvo had a 960 bodied hybrid of that very nature in 1991 that did those exact numbers, and flat booked down the road, if ya wanted too.

How far have we come with gas cars and trucks since then... Chevy TBI was better that Q-jet, Vortec was heads and tails better than TBI,,, Modular (whatever they are called) is heads and tails better than Vortec.....

Point being, if we can make these small steps with gas motors... 65-70 % effinciency, to 95% efficiency... then we could have sooooo perfected the Vovl diesel electric hybrid of.....

I still sometimes wonder (thanks Dad, now I am a conspiracy theorist... grrr.!) if the powers that be know we wont stand for city borders, state borders etc. and the further extension of the complete police state initiated by the Brady Bill, and the Patriot act... ad nauseam is to limit our mobility by making it so we can't afford to be mobile in an attempt to usurp complete control over our freedoms.

Last edited:
Killer thread!!!

One thing that we can all do is buy fuel from the CHEAPEST station, rather than support the stations selling it for more cuz of the brand name.

Kurt, quit going to that Conoco if they are selling for $0.20 more than Kicks or F'n J.

I honestly can't believe it when I pass a chevron with a bunch of cars filling up, and another block down the Holiday has gas for 15-20 cents less and the same amount of cars. The Holiday should be freakin' PACKED and there shouldn't be any cars at the Chevron until they lower their prices to match Holiday.

Drive around the SL valley or anywhere else, and the stations all have different prices...local economics at work. My wife bought gas for 20 cents less today in Murray than in Draper.

Here in the intermountain region, our fuel comes from the 5-6 refineries in NSL and from Sinclair in WY (via pipeline). It's all the SAME STUFF people. Seriously. Your car doesn't know the difference.

I saw nearly every brand represented at one time or another at the transport loading rack at Tesoro while I was working there. Especially F'n J, Exxon, Maverick and Holiday, as I recall. The local refineries all blend it the same, using the same additives, to the same specs.

The local refineries are also set up to ONLY refine Rocky Mountain Sweet, which is what we have in the basin, WY and CO. Seriously, if not for commodity speculation, there is NO reason we should be paying any more than we did 5 or 10 years ago, except for maybe ULSD.

I know that 2 summers ago, they were making 11 cents a gallon on gas and 28 cents a gallon on diesel, simply because of demand.

We can reduce demand...but we also ought to be making the stations compete.

Brett (most fillups are $160-170 in my eXcursion. F'n J is usually the cheapest which is good, since their pump doesn't shut off at $100)

Dominic

02 TDI beetle. I never have run it empty much like you I always fill up when it hits the red. The most I have ever filled was around 14.6 so I am assuming that it is close to 15 gal total. I have never really tried to drive with milage in mind so this is all new to me. I took my roof racks off to help out with a HUGE improvement. Before I was lucky to get 450 out of a tank now I am closer to 550 without trying.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
It made that big a differance huh?

Maybe I better take my rack off..??

IMG00006.jpg