So there's this huge elephant in the living room...

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I didn't read through all of the posts and maybe it has been said, but I for one canceled my camping trip I had planned for Memorial day weekend partly because of the weather, but mainly due to diesel fuel at $4.60 a gallon. That is a significant bite to the pocketbook to haul a trailer 400-500 miles and turn out 10-12 MPG.

Funny thing is I didn't regret it one bit we had a great time staying at home. I'll be thinking long and hard about putting my trailer and possibly tow rig up on the KSL classifieds and getting into something smaller.

I was driving around a bit on Monday afternoon and I was honestly suprised at the number of people pulling trailers or boats or even double towing trailers and boats on I-15. Most of them had diesel trucks, some had the gassers, either way that is a lot of money being spent on fuel. Maybe everyone used their stimulus checks to fill their tanks for the holiday weekend? Maybe not everyone is as cheap as me? Maybe everyone else makes a lot more money than I do? All I know is when you add up a payment on an RV or boat (mine is $300/month) and add the fuel used to tote it around, that makes a night of camping pretty damn expensive. Better money might be spent at a 5 star resort in a tropical paradise for a week once a year than hanging around the firepit in the mountains fighting for space in the public camping areas once or twice a month.

In a couple of weekends we have a family reunion up by the Gorge and we'll be taking the trailer up. Get out the plastic card!

Dominic

I didn't read through all of the posts and maybe it has been said, but I for one canceled my camping trip I had planned for Memorial day weekend partly because of the weather, but mainly due to diesel fuel at $4.60 a gallon. That is a significant bite to the pocketbook to haul a trailer 400-500 miles and turn out 10-12 MPG.

Funny thing is I didn't regret it one bit we had a great time staying at home. I'll be thinking long and hard about putting my trailer and possibly tow rig up on the KSL classifieds and getting into something smaller.

I was driving around a bit on Monday afternoon and I was honestly suprised at the number of people pulling trailers or boats or even double towing trailers and boats on I-15. Most of them had diesel trucks, some had the gassers, either way that is a lot of money being spent on fuel. Maybe everyone used their stimulus checks to fill their tanks for the holiday weekend? Maybe not everyone is as cheap as me? Maybe everyone else makes a lot more money than I do? All I know is when you add up a payment on an RV or boat (mine is $300/month) and add the fuel used to tote it around, that makes a night of camping pretty damn expensive. Better money might be spent at a 5 star resort in a tropical paradise for a week once a year than hanging around the firepit in the mountains fighting for space in the public camping areas once or twice a month.

In a couple of weekends we have a family reunion up by the Gorge and we'll be taking the trailer up. Get out the plastic card!

I have not used my fifth wheel once this spring and probably will only drag it to Summer convention I can't justify using it when with the cost of diesel it would be cheaper to stay at a hotel. It amazes me that so many people are driving around in these $60,000 mega cab's with a $500+ truck payment (i'm guessing) and still forking out the money for diesel. The future of our beloved sport is looking bleek. Hybrid crawlers?

Dominic

It made that big a differance huh?

Maybe I better take my rack off..??

IMG00006.jpg

Good lookin dub man. I was honestly suprised how much difference it makes. I don't see me putting them back on with these prices.

Dominic

Best tank was working out in the Basin...over 800.

Drove from Draper to Orange County on one tank...getting around 16mpg

My wife wants a beetle. When she gets one, I'll make sure it's a TDI.

That's a good tank of fuel. It's amazing what you can do with 65 mph and all freeway. :)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have not used my fifth wheel once this spring and probably will only drag it to Summer convention I can't justify using it when with the cost of diesel it would be cheaper to stay at a hotel. It amazes me that so many people are driving around in these $60,000 mega cab's with a $500+ truck payment (i'm guessing) and still forking out the money for diesel. The future of our beloved sport is looking bleek. Hybrid crawlers?

I think it's all in downsizing and taking things to a sane level. You don't need the $60k Mega cab tow rig, the daily driver weekend wheeler will make a comeback. Things may not be as extreme but it doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable.

Corban_White

.... $60,000 mega cab's with a $500+ truck payment (i'm guessing).....

That's with a HUGE down payment, to finance $60,000 at 5% for 6 years is $966.30 per month, on a 5 year loan it's $1132.27!!! :eek: I don't have any idea how people can afford it. That and their $3000+++ house payment:eek:!

Caleb

I think it's all in downsizing and taking things to a sane level. You don't need the $60k Mega cab tow rig, the daily driver weekend wheeler has made a comeback. Things may not be as extreme but it doesn't mean it isn't as enjoyable.

Fixed it for you. :D

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Since the spike in oil/gas prices I've wondered what the historical price of gas looked like calculated with inflation. I'm unsure of the accuracy/validity, but I thought this article was some good reading.

Inflation_adjusted_gasoline_price.jpg

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
interesting...I wonder how wages and housing fit that bill.

I remember the days when a single income could support a family. It seems more and more even two incomes is a struggle now days--at least for my family.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Paid $4.26/gallon for mid-grade in western Utah this weekend :D

Our last planned gas fillup (Vernon) was out of gas til' tomorrow :eek:

Still beats staying home ;)