Spotted

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
IMG_0619.JPG

Saw this rig in Holladay, dig the sliders

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
It looks like it has a vintage vehicle plate on it.

Ive never looked into what that entails but I wonder if they are more lenient??

Josh that JK is dead sexy!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
It looks like it has a vintage vehicle plate on it.

Ive never looked into what that entails but I wonder if they are more lenient??

Not really, but I think it's enforced differently.

http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles-services-menu/license-plates/special-group-plates#vintagevehicle
This plate identifies a vehicle at least 30 years old, is primarily a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation. This plate may be personalized with up to 5 alphanumeric characters by submitting Form TC-817 with the required personalization fee. A vintage vehicle, as defined in Utah Code 41-21-1, qualifies for an exemption from safety and emission inspections.

Requirements:

• $10 Special Plate Fee
  • No Annual Contribution
  • Identifiable into one of two categories: 30 year vintage vehicles: 30-39 years old
    40 year vintage vehicles: 40 years and older

I've not had issue with my "occassional commuting" without flares/flaps but believe it's my responsibility to be fairly compliant with safety inspection laws. From the officers I've chatted with about the issue, some say I'm exempt from state safety inspection laws and some say that I've now just tranferred safety inspection responsibility to myself rather than a state certified inspector. My guess is that it's somewhere in the middle. I like that I have provisions on my Jeep to make it pass state safety inspection and believe I'd be "OK" if pulled over by a "reasonable" officer by pointing those items out and showing him/her the printed out law that I followed while building/modifying the Jeep.

That Jeep pictured is definitely older than '56 (or thereabouts) and would/could likely be looked upon as a T-bucket type conversion would?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Unfortunately there is no grey area on vintages, you are required to assure that it meets/exceeds the safety inspection standards per the verbiage of the law. When I registered my FJ40 as a vintage they mentioned this, when I registered my FJ45, they made me sign a paper stating that I take responsibility that it meets Utah's safety inspection standards. As for enforcement I can see it going either way, on one hand they realize it is old and seldom used so they may be a little more lenient, on the other hand as the vehicle is not being inspected annually, they may watch for more violations or take a closer look if/when you are pulled over.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
... As for enforcement I can see it going either way, on one hand they realize it is old and seldom used so they may be a little more lenient, on the other hand as the vehicle is not being inspected annually, they may watch for more violations or take a closer look if/when you are pulled over.

I'm with you on that one. I think it would just depend on who pulled you over and for what. My guess is UHP will look at things a bit differently than a municipal force, but not necessarily

blznnp

I'm sure he would, it would probably be better for me as a daily than my f350, but I think I will keep it, thanks for the offer though