Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

I got my sliders from low range. They're TG sliders. The sliders are cheaper than the metal it'd cost me to build my own.

I also ordered my TG dual-case adapter from Low Range. I'm probably their best customer since I'm always buying things from them, with a new vehicle to build every 3 months

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
man i thought i was crazy for having 16 vehicles in the ten years i've been driving and i'm completely sane in comparison. some of you guys do a really good job of stimulating the used car market and it doesn't go unnoticed :rofl:

you should put a few grand in the glove box and post it for sale ;)

i've had my current jeep for over 2 years now and it's a weird sensation but it's really working out for me

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Man steve your the total opposite of me. I Do a bunch of research and talk to people and read reviews then go by what i think is best from all that, and make it what i want from there. Ive played guitar since i was 12 and ive had the same electric since i was 12, played about 60 other guitars never liked them as much as mine, but my dad is the one to thank for that he spent 6 hours at a store playing everything they have to pick out this for me.

Im the same way with my cars, i chose teh runner for that reason and ive made it work to how i need it and like it
Funny how different people are

sixstringsteve

Man steve your the total opposite of me. I Do a bunch of research and talk to people and read reviews then go by what i think is best from all that, and make it what i want from there. Ive played guitar since i was 12 and ive had the same electric since i was 12, played about 60 other guitars never liked them as much as mine, but my dad is the one to thank for that he spent 6 hours at a store playing everything they have to pick out this for me.

Im the same way with my cars, i chose teh runner for that reason and ive made it work to how i need it and like it
Funny how different people are

yeah, some people go into a restauraunt and look at the menu and say "I fell like a chicken sandwich." so they order it and they're happy.

I have to read EVERY item on the menu and make sure I make the best decision. I don't know if it's how I was raised, or my personality, or the ADHD, or what, but that's how I am.

I like who/how I am. Most people don't understand it, and it doesn't make sense to them, but that's ok. I'm different. I like me, and life is always exciting.

plaidfro

Build plans:

- keep the leaf springs
- keep it low
- RUF, not sure about rear springs yet, but I'll probably try shorter chevy springs
- dual ultimates (dual t-cases with a 4.7 in the back)
- sliders
- 35s
- elockers front and rear

Simple, small, and practical, yet still very capable.

I am interested in the cost breakdown of this build up. I have always been very interested in the Toyota engine and the their off-road driving comfort, and could consider something similar

sixstringsteve

it all depends on if you go new or used.

here's an approximate cost breakdown for new parts.

35" tires - $1200
5.29 gears w/install kits w/labor to install - $1000
springs - $100-200
4.7 gears - $400
dual case adapter - $350
a second top-shift case - $100
dual-case crossmember - $200
drivelines - $400
sliders - $150
sas kit (shocks, steering, etc) - $1000
Elockers - $400 ea

So I'm gong to guess about $5-6k on top of vehicle price when all is said and done. It can be done TONS cheaper if you go used or cut some corners. I'm hoping to go used as much as possible.

Last edited:

Taco4life

A tiny bit, but not enough to have an opinion about them. I haven't done enough research on the rear end. I like the flex of the 63" chevies, but I'm afriad I'll get my springs hung up all the time. All I know is the TG 3" springs are WAY too tall for what I want.

I think I will start calling you sixRIGsteve, the reason why I mentioned the f150 springs is because they are only 57" long, flex similar to the chevies, but supposedly you don't get hung up on them, the departure angle is significantly better.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700418&highlight=f150+springs

sixstringsteve

Ok, back on topic. Got my sliders and dual case crossmember last night from Low Range. Now I'm just looking for a top-shift case with 4.7s.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I like the F-150 spring idea steve they are flexy and theres a billion of them at the junk yards. So are you still doing dual ultimates or are you going to do just one 4.7 case?
EDIT: dumb question i didnt see the dual crossmember part above

sixstringsteve

do f-150 springs have to be run backwards? Meaning the mil wrap is now at the rear instead of the front? You can tell I haven't done enough research on the topic.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well Steve, I didn't even get to see your Sami but at least I should be able to have some good reading for a while on this build thread.

Max Power

Bryce
I have a feeling that you are not going to be happy with this rig on the freeway. Even with 35's you will be lucky to hit 75 and you can forget about that if there is a headwind. I know from experience. I have a single cab 22re with 5.29 gears, downy header, accel ignition, K&N intake and a 2 1/4 magnaflow exhaust. That being said I love your new truck. It is super clean. It is always nice seeing another toy guy on the trails. I look forward to this build. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Max Power

Bryce
When it was my dd it was on 35" bfg's. It is now in 36" iroks. I was happy with 5.29's. 4.88 would be to high for that 22re on 35's.