Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
hahaha i run 4.10s with 35's and its not bad at all..........except hills i have to rev it to 4000 to maintain 70mph hahaha but i cruise at 1900rpms at 70mph so gas milage is good

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
FWIW, I had great results with my 22re, 5.29's, and 37's on 17 steel wheels (1st gen 4runner). I passed people with ease in average localized freeway traffic (I-15, 201, 215), and usually had the cruise control set at 75-80mph on open highway.

Are you still planning on swapping a 3.4 into this one? I don't see that on your build break down list. You could probably get away with 4.88's and the 3.4.

sixstringsteve

FWIW, I had great results with my 22re, 5.29's, and 37's on 17 steel wheels (1st gen 4runner). I passed people with ease in average localized freeway traffic (I-15, 201, 215), and usually had the cruise control set at 75-80mph on open highway.

Are you still planning on swapping a 3.4 into this one? I don't see that on your build break down list. You could probably get away with 4.88's and the 3.4.

I had an '85 runner with 4.88s and 35s, and it did just fine on the freeway. 75 MPH isn't my normal cruising speed, but if I'm heading to the rubicon, I'm not going to want to go 65 MPH the entire way. Hence my desire to have something that can do 75 MPH on the long straight flats without significant wobbling/shaking.

No plans for an engine swap at this time. I'm pretty fond of the 22re, and I'm not obsessed with power. As long as it gets me to the trails reliably I'm happy. Then I'll use my low gears to try and crawl everything. If this engine ever does die on me someday, then I'll have a tough time deciding between the 2.7 and the 3.4. I will build the rear tcase with a 23 spline input though just in case I do swap the motor someday.

FYI, the 3.4L swap idea was before I bought this truck, when I was looking at a truck with a blown 3.0.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I think a 2.7 vs 3.4 is a tough debate as well. I went back and forth on each, as they both have an impressive pro list, and a very short con list.. It all comes down to what you would want as both are stellar power plants.

I don't understand wanting the dual 4.7's, but regardless of that you should be fine running 5.29's with 35"s, and even 37"s so long as your 22re is in good and healthy.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Ah, well that's more understandable. I read something pelygroso wrote and thought he was talking about you doing dual 4.7's. That should be a decent setup for a vehicle that will see a mix of camping, backroads, and some Moab crawling. Cut the fenders out 2-3"s and stuff some 35"s, with good bump stops..

sixstringsteve

yup, lower is better for this rig. There was a guy on pirate who fit 37s on a stock '85 with no lift. His drag link was super ghetto, but he made the rest work. I don't want to be so low that I have to notch my frame, but TG 3" springs are going to be too tall for me.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd go a different route than TG springs. In my experience they have a very short life; as in 1-2 years until they are sagging or bent.

sixstringsteve

yeah, ruf and probably chevy's. Or maybe I'll buy someone's saggy TG springs to get the lift I need. I had alcans on my taco and they were incredible apart from being a little stiff and sitting higher than I wanted.

nrspence

I think this rig is going to be just perfect for what you like to do. I was going to run 255/85/16s on my new rig, but now i've desided on 35inch yokahoma's. I want to build mine like your old 4-door with a SAS.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think this rig is going to be just perfect for what you like to do. I was going to run 255/85/16s on my new rig, but now i've desided on 35inch yokahoma's. I want to build mine like your old 4-door with a SAS.

that'll be sweet, can't wait to see it.

sixstringsteve

Im pretty free these days we can get it done by HITR...

Ok, let's do it. The race is on!

Here's my goal by HITR (4 weeks)

1) sas with ruf (still not sure if I want to go 48" springs or 51" springs)
2) 63" chevies, or something similar in the rear
3) dual ultimates
4) sliders

The bottleneck here is going to be the dual ultimates. Since nobody has 4.7s in stock, I have to find a pair used, and I'm really struggling to find a pair. I really want 23 spline if possible.

But let's do it. It'll be some late nights these next few weeks, but I think we can do it. Thanks for the encouragement Nate and Lewis.

I'm not going to be able to get the diffs done in time, unless someone has 2 elocker thirds they want to part with. Even then, that'd be pushing it.

So, for those who want to help, find me a set of 4.7s installed in a top-shift tcase. Extra points if it's a 23 spline (v6/turbo)

Last edited: