Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

well, i just bought 90% of the parts I need to do the swap and front axle rebuild. Hopefully I'll get my front axle this weekend, and have it rebuilt and ready to go in early next week. Who knows, maybe I'll have a solid axle under it in a week. That'd be cool. :busted:

zukijames

that would be awesome if you had it done that fast i need to rebuild my front axle this week!

i dont have pics but i could get some next month lol

ive got be careful about how i ask george he was talking about how many copy cats there is yesterday lol

steve i give you alot of crap for not keeping stuff longer .. but really i think its awesome i love building stuff just cant afford it so i keep the puke i mean the zuk :)

sixstringsteve

he should be honored that he has copycats. His rig is DIALED. I would love to learn to build (and drive) my rig from a master like him.

sixstringsteve

as much as I want to go 23 spline in the rear case/adapter, it's looking like it's not going to happen before hole in the rock.

SO i can either wait 'till after hole in the rock to get 23 spline duals (not an option) or...

I can run 21 spline throughout. I think this is my only option before HITR, unless by some miracle I happen to snag a used set (not likely)

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm settled on a 35" tire, but I'm not sure what size rim I want to run:

-15x8
-16x8
-17x8

any opinions/experience out there?

193kyle

15"s would obviously be the cheapest route, but I loved my old tacoma on 17" cragar soft 8's with 35"s! A little less sidewall feels a lot more solid on a daily driver too.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
17" Soft 8's for. the. win... I still miss mine.

100_7235.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well just as long as you don't go with a 10" wheel. You would need a mullet you know haha. Glad to see you back into a Toy actually, the Sami was cool but not near as cool as a real truck.

sixstringsteve

that sidekick (not a sami BTW) was pretty amazing. You should see it in person, it's quite impressive. I'm happy to be back on leaf springs and in a toyota though. But that sidekick will still outwheel this rig when I'm done. That thing was incredible for a rig on 33s.

sixstringsteve

great looking rig. I like the look of that wheel size. Soft 8s are my favorite. Did you feel like you could air the tires down to 8 psi or so, or did you feel that you'd risk pinching the sidewall?

193kyle

I wouldn't worry about the sidewalls at all. Think about it, there is just as much sidewall on a 35"/17" combo as there is with a 33"/15" combo.

sixstringsteve

Good point. They're about $90 more per tire for the 17" rim, but I think it's worth it. I'll have to experiment with the backspacing on mine. We'll have to have a wrenching night at my house where all the toyotas bring their wheels over and i can try them on one by one 'till I know what backspacing i want.

sixstringsteve

I vote for 15 pages before he sees the truck in person!

Yes, but it'll be built and wheeled before most people will be able to get back out to the trails. I guess I'm different that way, but part of the reason my builds go so quick is that I try to have it planned out in my head before I do it. Plus, I try to work on it everyday, even if it's something small, and this is all I can do for now. Might as well start planning if I'm already on a tight deadline.