Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
In all reality, you could throw on a more common sized(back spacing) set of wheels with 4, or 4.5" of BS. Then decide if you like that, or if you'd want the wheel pulled in toward the frame more. I think the 17x8 soft 8's that I had were 3.5" BS.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Steve all of my reading on pirate says stick with 48" rears to front conversion and run the 63" chevys in the rear... Given thats what I am doing, and ran in the past so I am bias. I' ll I can say is it flexed like crazy and was awesome drivng around town and I could still carry a load in the back with out to much sagging.
IMAG0050.jpg

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Good point. They're about $90 more per tire for the 17" rim, but I think it's worth it.

I'm glad you realize the price tag will be higher for the 17" wheels and tires. Don't forget, something else will be higher, too: the weight. Minimizing your unsprung weight pays numerous dividends (acceleration, braking, etc).

This is why I will stick with 15" wheels once I eventually upgrade to 35" tires on my TJ.

Manlaan

If you ever want to see what those tires look like on your rig, just let me know. I'm just in Riverton, so its really not that far of a drive. 35 MTR's on a 15" wheel. I believe just a simple Cragar Black D Window with 4" backspacing.

Ditto for checking out the flex if you still cant make up your mind on springs.

Steve all of my reading on pirate says stick with 48" rears to front conversion and run the 63" chevys in the rear... Given thats what I am doing, and ran in the past so I am bias. I' ll I can say is it flexed like crazy and was awesome drivng around town and I could still carry a load in the back with out to much sagging.
IMAG0050.jpg

sixstringsteve

since you can't get 37s in a 15 anymore (except for putbulls and interco), a 17 would be more versatile if I ever did want to run 37s. but I plan to keep it on 35s. Hm... decision, decisions. 35s on a 15 will be way cheaper since the truck already has 15s on it and I can just re-use the wheels.

Manlan, as soon as I get the truck, I'm going to take you up on your offer and see what those wheels/tires look like on my rig to determine if that's the backspacing i want to run. Thanks for the offer.

James, I'm going to be giving you a call today about leaf springs.

I'm going to run 63" chevies in the rear for now.

sixstringsteve

I think I'll be ruinning FROR's ifs hub swap kit and I'll be running tacoma rotors with tundra calipers. So I'll need 16's min. So I'll probably just go to a 17" wheel.

redneckbronco

Steve, I just sorta read thru this, and u my man are an animal!! I do like your choice though I had a 94 xtracab that i loved. I hope you hang on to this one. i wanna do a 4runner at somepoint but cant bring my self to let the Sammi go.

sixstringsteve

ok, i'm sold on a 17" wheel.

Mitch aka Venture13(super cool guy with wicked fab skills and the coolest TJ i've seen) hooked me up with some parts today at ridiculous prices. I got my tundra rotors, calipers, steering, and a beefy driveshaft. HOpefully he sells me his 17's soon, and hopefully they're the right backspacing for me.

sixstringsteve

Trevor, you rock. Thanks for bailing me out and selling me your '85 axle tonight. I'll build it up this week, and hopefully swap it in soon.

Here's the catch:
when I build up the axle, it'll have tundra calipers and rotors (w/the FROR kit). That means I can't run the stock wheels anymore, so I need to find wheels and tires fast. So I can't do the sas 'till I have 16-17" wheels.

So if you guys could keep your eyes pealed for some 35x12.50x17x, that would be awesome. Bonus points if they're km2's, since they're what I ultimately want to run. Even if they're just ugly tundra rolling wheels, that'd be fine for the time being.

sixstringsteve

oh, and I also found a t-case with 4.7s on pirate. So I'll have dual ultimates by hole in the rock. Wheels and tires are the only bottlenecks now.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
ok, i'm sold on a 17" wheel.

Mitch aka Venture13(super cool guy with wicked fab skills and the coolest TJ i've seen) hooked me up with some parts today at ridiculous prices. I got my tundra rotors, calipers, steering, and a beefy driveshaft. HOpefully he sells me his 17's soon, and hopefully they're the right backspacing for me.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14801465&cat=523&lpid=&search=17

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14798343&cat=523&lpid=&search=17

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14784002&cat=523&lpid=3&search=17