Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

864runner

I know I'm your hero
I wish you would have edited my ugly truck out of you pictures before you posted them. Haha! Your truck looks great Steve. I'm always happy to help anytime I can.

meach4x4

Hey Steve,

It looks like you must be ready to sell that pickup, right? :greg:

I'm shopping for a nice Taco to replace the Jeep. (Probably not as soon as you'll be selling yours though.) :p:p

Have you ever looked at All Terrain Campers? Looks like a hot ticket for your planned usage. www.allterraincampers.com

Gil

sixstringsteve

tacomas are nice. This truck is still a "pickup" model. The tacomas didn't start 'till mid '95. I whole-heartedly support your decision to replace your jeep with a tacoma :)

Max Power

Bryce
I like my Trail-Gear rear bumper. Mine sits level and I didn't have to trim anything. It is also very strong. I have hi lifted it from several spots and it has hit a few rocks with no dents or bends. I took this pic last weekend on Poison Spider.

Attachments

• Rear Bumper.jpg
    Rear Bumper.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 27

sixstringsteve

Yours looks great on your rig Max.

I don't like how much mine stuck out past the end of the bed. I must have the wrong model then if yours fits perfect and mine is crooked.

Max Power

Bryce
It is the luck of the draw with TG bumpers. I had to exchange mine before I got one that fit and even then I had to take a wire brush wheel to it to clean rust off of it. While mine is level it does stick out the back a little. I personally like the step. Looks to be coming along great.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
It is the luck of the draw with TG bumpers. I had to exchange mine before I got one that fit and even then I had to take a wire brush wheel to it to clean rust off of it. While mine is level it does stick out the back a little. I personally like the step. Looks to be coming along great.

Thats why i aways stayed away from premade bumpers every rig is different and every bumper, though the same bumper design needs to be tweaked and adjusted to each rig, buy local and support the community and no one would have this problem:greg:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
^ So if I were local to TG and purchased the bumper from them, it would fit 100% of the time? :stumped:

sixstringsteve

I have had extremely good luck with TG. I love their parts, and I think they're very well made.

I support local by ordering all my parts through Low Range Offroad and Cruiseroutfitters. I know you guys have a little fab business, and that's cool, but getting a non-drivable vehicle up to Ogden to get a bumper made for me isnt worth it. If you guys were right around the corner, then it might be a different situation, but being 2 hours away is tough for my situation, especially when the vehicle isn't drivable at the moment.

I'm just going to fab up my own bumpers and sliders anyway, so it's a moot point.

Last edited:

Awz

Om Nom Nom Nom smack
Looks good Steve! I've got the trail-gear rear bumper on my 4runner and if fits fine. However there was a Hyundai in Pleasant Grove about 6 months ago that helped it center better.

sixstringsteve

I got a ton done tonight, thanks to Billylight's help.

Pulled the rear axle, replaced the studs with the allen head bolts, shaved the drain plug, cut it for the elocker, and tapped the holes.

IMG_1004.JPG

Tomorrow:
- clean out the housing
- install 2 long studs
- jb weld magnets in the inner housing
- install rear elocker
- add a leaf and an anti-wrap leaf to the rear pack
- Install rear axle seals
- install rear axle

Taco4life

Looking good Steve, I really like how this is coming together. I have never really been a big fan of the TG rear bumper, if I were you I would build one like your 81 but run a 2x4 instead of the 2x2 on the rear portion of it to keep it street legal.

sixstringsteve

I think I can get away with the 2x2 and not get caught. If it ends up being a problem (IE fix it tickets) then I'll get creative. I may make a magnetic extension or something for inspection purposes.