Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
The trail gear design is fine you just have to drop a kick out down to make the bumper meet saftey rules but you have to sarifice ground clearance

sixstringsteve

I got the rear elocker installed, added a leaf to the rear spring pack, and installed the rear axle. It still sits about an inch too low in the back, so I'll be moving my rear shackle hanger back some in the future (when I brace my rear frame and work on the rear bumper.)

If I can get my wife to help me bleed the brakes tomorrow, I can drive it around the block. Then I'll try to get the shocks on on Thursday and I should be able to daily drive it for a while, 'till I work out the kinks.

Max Power

Bryce
I wish mine was a little lower but oh well. Are you going to run 10" shocks or are you going to cut through your inner fenders and run something longer?

I don't know if you made a decision on shocks yet. This is how mine looks with 10"ers.

Attachments

• 2011-04-22 17.20.28.jpg
    2011-04-22 17.20.28.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2011-04-22 17.21.10.jpg
    2011-04-22 17.21.10.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 20

krany

kranberry
Looks great steve, your rig looks super clean with the low and big tires look. Wish mine was a bit lower. What's the point to shaving your drain plug? Doesn't that just make it a huge mess Ans a pain in the butt to replace your third when the time comes?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

What's the point to shaving your drain plug? Doesn't that just make it a huge mess Ans a pain in the butt to replace your third when the time comes?

why yes, it is a pain to drain the fluid :rofl:

You replace the bottom two diff studs with bolts, and drain the fluid by removing them. But you're right, it's not as nice as draining it through the plug.

However, there is a reason to shave it. It's not so much an issue of ground clearance (although I guess I gained 1/4"), it's more an issue of getting hung up, or loosening your drain plug. I've been hung up on my drain plug so many times. For some reason, rocks love to hook on to that little ring around the plug.

With a shaved axle, the housing will just slide right over the rock, instead of grabbing on to that stupid ring around the plug. I've also known people to hit their drain plug on a rock, causing it to loosen and come out, draining all their gear oil onto the ground.

Do the benefits outweight the costs? That depends on who you are. I get hung up on my plug a lot more than I drain my fluid, so I figured it was a good tradeoff.

I don't think it's worth stripping down your axle just to do the drain plug. But, if you've already pulled the third, I think it's worth it to spend an extra hour plugging the plug and grinding it flush.

Last edited:

Max Power

Bryce
Max, everytime I see your rig get excited for mine to be done. That looks great. Do the 10" shocks limit downtravel?

With my setup they don't seen too and if they do it's minimal. If I ran 12" shocks it would limit my up travel and if I bottomed them out it would damage the shocks (I don't run bump stops). With how low yours is I have a hard time thinking 12"ers would fit. I am excited to see yours in person.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

you're good, I didn't think you were fishing for compliments.

I'll measure for shocks tonight. Fortunately, Low Range has 10", 11", and 12" shocks, so I'm sure I'll find something just right.

sixstringsteve

you still have that stupid lip surrounding it. That's usually what gets hung up for me. In fact, I get more hung up with the low-profile plugs.

Here's how I see it:

low profile plugs: deeper hole to snag
normal plugs: less likely to get hung up on a rock, more likely to come unscrewed (although I've never lost a plug)
shaved: no snags, pain to drain the fluid

but I'm no expert, that's just my opinion

Last edited:

Chevycrew

I got ya, I would probably run the low profile with a trimmed lip. But then again Im not used to the clearance of a toy axle either...