Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

Thanks for swinging by James, it was good to see you. I'm excited that you now live so close. Your lady friend is super nice too (I can't believe I forgot her name already).

I got the front shock hoops welded in. I still need to brace them, but that can wait for another day. That's all I got done today.

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

sixstringsteve

Yes, I do. Several reasons.

1) My welder is only 110v, so I need all the penetration I can get. Flux core penetrates deeper than gas.
2) Even though my welder can do gas, it's more expensive than flux core
3) I weld in windy conditions a lot, so flux is nice there
4) I've never welded with gas before, so I wouldn't know how to do it even if I had it set up for gas :D

I wish my welds were as pretty as the guys using gas, but I don't mind enough to switch. I do have to take a wire brush to my welds, and clean up some dingle-berries, but I don't really mind.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Steve FYI, Inner shield is far more expensive to use than solid wire. For the small amount you use your's though, you may not be able to justify a tank.

Also, you'll find your welds will be slightly porous so don't try to build an air tank or such using your flux cored wire.

You're right that it's the only way to fly outdoors though.

sixstringsteve

Steve FYI, Inner shield is far more expensive to use than solid wire. For the small amount you use your's though, you may not be able to justify a tank.

Also, you'll find your welds will be slightly porous so don't try to build an air tank or such using your flux cored wire.

I didn't know that, thanks.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
flux is nice out doors but i agree with BCGPER flux is more expensive to buy then solid even if you add getting your tank filled. I have both a 110 flux little welder and a millermatic 135 110v that i use gas ans solid wire with, they are both good but the miller with gas is by far the better of the two

sixstringsteve

I'd love to try gas sometime, but my welder can't penetrate 1/4" with gas. So I'll be sticking with flux core for now.

I don't have tanks either, so that'd add to the cost. When I'm not building rigs, I only use my welder about 2 minutes a month, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to convert to gas.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Don't ever try welding with gas, you will never want to go back to flux. The day after I tried I went out and bought a tank and a new welder and have never welded with flux since. It is also alot less painful. I used to get tons of burns from the flux spatter. Now I weld without gloves most of the time.

sixstringsteve

Don't ever try welding with gas, you will never want to go back to flux. The day after I tried I went out and bought a tank and a new welder and have never welded with flux since. It is also alot less painful. I used to get tons of burns from the flux spatter. Now I weld without gloves most of the time.

I always wondered how people welded without gloves. I'd better stay away from the gas then, it sounds like I'd love it too much to go back to flux. I can't afford another welder, so ignorance is bliss. :D

krany

kranberry
I'd love to try gas sometime, but my welder can't penetrate 1/4" with gas. So I'll be sticking with flux core for now.

I don't have tanks either, so that'd add to the cost. When I'm not building rigs, I only use my welder about 2 minutes a month, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to convert to gas.

It's all on how you weld it(I.e if you prep the weld say bevel the edges so it's like this >< and you weld in the v.), also if you get a .035 or .030 wire, max heat and w/e wire speed works for you you should be fine. If you ever get the chance weld with gas and flux core mix, it welds almost as nice as normal mig welding, it's the only way i will flux weld. If I don't have that for outaide welding stick it is.

sixstringsteve

I braced the shock hoop and installed the shocks tonight. Not as much as I'd hoped, but progress is progress. Tomorrow night is date night, so it looks like it won't be drivable 'till Saturday.

IMG_1008.JPG

I clamped down the anti-wrap leaf, and it added a bit of lift, so I have more uptravel now. I'm still planning on adding a 6th leaf to the bottom, but it's getting better.

IMG_1009.JPG

sixstringsteve

Dang looks like 2" uptravel left on those bilstiens

yup, it's really close. I'll be installing bump stops to make sure they don't max out the shocks. The boots do make it look super compressed, but there's about 4" of shaft left. If you look closely you can see that the shock body ends about 1/4" below the top of the boot.

It's a tight fit. If it gives me problems, then I'll throw 'em out back and put 10 or 11" shocks on front.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm not sure yet. I'm not a huge fan of the regular poly TG ones that come with the kits. I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something that has a little bit of give to it, but not as much as air bumps.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
that's about where my front shocks sit as well. I kinda wished I had gone to 10 inchers until I went wheeling and realized that my front suspension droops like a mother! I love it!

I think I'm going to use the toyota bump stops that I took out of the rear. Is there any reason I shouldn't??