Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

this might be a pain but i think it will work to find out which box has the problem assuming its not the clutch. if the slave is moving when you push the clutch pedal and there isn't any leaks that you can see i would say isnt not the clutch since it worked fine before.

move on the crawl box, take the shifter out and start it up and see if you can see the gears spinning. if you can put the shifter back and take the t case twin sticks out and see if you can get the gears to spin in the tcase. if they do that would rule out anything from the adapter forward. then that leaves you with a t case that isn;t powering the outputs weather its something inside or the twin sticks/shift forks not engaged 2wd/4wd.

you going to work on it tonight? good luck steve, i'll report back tonight and see what you find.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the suggestions Quinn. Yes, I'll be working on it tonight. Hopefully I can take a look at it at lunch and see if the clutch slave is moving. If the solution involves pulling the cases, then I'm not touching it for at least 2 weeks. Hopefully it's just the clutch.

Max Power

Bryce
First check to see if the clutch master cylinder is full. Check for leaks around your slave cylinder and your clutch master cylinder. I have a feeling you have lost hydraulic pressure somewhere. It would not be in your linkage because it is a hydraulic setup. You probably stressed a connection while moving your cases around. Pm me your address and phone. I have tonight off.

Max Power

Bryce
Did you do anything weird like accidentally dropping your clutch? If you have both drivelines disconnected put your cases in 4 hi and see if you can turn one of the flanges and watch to see if the other one moves. Make sure your tranny is in neutral while you do this.

sixstringsteve

no, I didn't dump my clutch. I did drive over my 4"x4" wheel blocks in 4lo, but I can't imagine that causing a problem.

When I pulled the cases, I was in my driveway, which slopes uphill.

The front driveline is currently connected. The 4wd/2wd shift lever engages and disengages the front output.

Before I drove it, I tried turning the front output flange by hand. It would turn by hand when in 2wd, but not when in 4wd. So I assume the clutch was holding at least a bit.

It almost seems like the clutch is only engaging about 10%, and the pedal needs to come up another 2 inches to fully engage. I'm heading home to see if I can spot anything fishy. I've changed clutches before, but I've never messed with the hydraulics or linkages before, so this is a good learning experience for me.

I really appreciate everyone trying to help me troubleshoot this.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Ok, the troubleshooting continues. I ran home at lunch to take some pictures. I didn't have an assistant, so I can't verify if the clutch pedal moves the slave cylinder or not.

It looks like the clutch shift fork is a little forward, but I could be wrong. I don't see any fluid leaks, but it's rainy outside, and everything is a little wet. The fluid in the clutch master is dark brown, so I'm going to flush that out regardless.

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

Here's the clutch pedal linkage inside the cab.
IMG_1081.JPG

Does anyone see anything that I don't?

sixstringsteve

wrenching party at my house tonight, 5PM-midnight. We'll get this stupid issue sorted out, and get my butt to moab next week. shoot me a pm for my address if you want to join us, even if you're not a good wrench-turner we'd still love to have you along.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
wrenching party at my house tonight, 5PM-midnight. We'll get this stupid issue sorted out, and get my butt to moab next week. shoot me a pm for my address if you want to join us, even if you're not a good wrench-turner we'd still love to have you along.

That's the spirit! Git 'er done!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
It almost seems like the clutch is only engaging about 10%, and the pedal needs to come up another 2 inches to fully engage. I'm heading home to see if I can spot anything fishy. I've changed clutches before, but I've never messed with the hydraulics or linkages before, so this is a good learning experience for me.

So in your pictures it looks like the clutch petal is against the stop, is that accurate? Does the petal feel light or heavier than normal? With the engine off does it make any noises (popping, creaking) when you push your petal in?

YOUKNOW

I texted you around nine when I got out of class. Next time.

sixstringsteve

long story short, I forgot to install the roll pin in the shift fork for the crawlbox. D'oh! I'm man enough to admit my mistakes, it was entirely my fault. Details below if you care.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who came to help out tonight. We got 2 weeks worth of work done in 3 hours. Thank you Eric, Kaylee & daughter, Toby, Chris, Bryce, and Scott. You guys are the greatest!

So, we figured it had to be the clutch. And since we were going to be in there anyway, I decided to just replace it, along with the rear main, and the flywheel. Well, it turns out the clutch was fine.

So someone had the idea (I think it was Chris or Bryce) to check the tranny/t-case combo. When we'd turn the front of the tranny, the rear output of the t-case would sometimes spin, and sometimes not. Then we tested the rear case, and it appeared to be working just fine. So we split the cases apart. Toby and a few others got their first look inside a toyota t-case.

It turns out the crawlbox was the issue. Which is funny because it's the simplest part to build. Long story short, the instructions to the crawl box are for a top-shift case. The way they build the case requires the shift fork to be installed as the first step. Well, with a forward-shift case, the shift fork install is the last step. WIth a top-shift, you don't have to remove the roll pin in the shift fork and the shift rail. With a forward shift you do, there's no other way to get it out of there. So, I forgot to install the roll pin. Now, I'm not a COMPLETE idiot. I understand the importance of a roll pin and what it does, and how not having a roll pin makes a shifter/tcase useless. I just plain old forgot to do it, and since the instructions didn't say anything about a roll pin, I didn't get a second reminder. Oops.

We had so many people there, I decided to pull the shell and the bed, so I could build my rear bumper this weekend.

IMG_1082.JPG

Gotta love this sticker that was on there:

IMG_1083.JPG

Thankfully we had Toby there to do the heavy lifting.

IMG_1085.JPG

At least I have a new rear main, t-case output seal, clutch, and flywheel. Thanks again to everyone who assisted tonight, I couldn't have done that (mentally or physically) without you guys.

sixstringsteve

...I wasn't expecting the bed coming off...

I wasn't either, but with so many hands to help, I figured why not. But I've got to get the bed back on there quick. It just looks so sexy without a bed on there that I'm starting to get bad ideas. Must.... resist.....

sixstringsteve

What a good time tonight. It looks so good with the bed off it is almost a shame you have to put it back on.

I know. I have to keep reminding myself that this is my daily driver, and I need it to perform other duties other than wheeling and looking dead sexy. But seeing the bed off really made me excited that this is going to be a capable machine.

sixstringsteve

It's going to make it for moab, I can feel it. Tomorow night we'll get the clutch/tranny/t-cases in. THen saturday will be the big day for sliders, bump stops, rear bumper, and who knows what else. I still won't have a rear driveline 'till Monday night, but I can still get a ton done in the mean time.

For those that helped, did everyone get 4 LED's? If not, let me know, I have a few extras.

Coco

That truck looks sexy without the shell, but i dont know about without a bed ;) did you get your ridiculously huge mudflap I dropped off tonight steve? Sorry I couldnt swing by, other than to drop the flap off, was super busy with stuff at home :-\

chans

That truck looks sexy without the shell, but i dont know about without a bed ;) did you get your ridiculously huge mudflap I dropped off tonight steve? Sorry I couldnt swing by, other than to drop the flap off, was super busy with stuff at home :-\

The mudflap is cut into 3 pieces now :D I will be over there Saturday to put the bed back on so get that bumper done.