Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

Max Power

Bryce
I would straighten out the Trail Gear bumper. I think it will probably look the best. I have the same bumper and only rubbed it once on my last trip(barely enough to scratch the paint).

Pros to the TG bumper:
-it is strong(I have high lifted if from several points without bending)
-it has a 2" receiver hitch
-great rear panel protection
-The precision bends look great
-it gives you a step for accessing your bed
-all you would have to do is slightly modify 2 of the bolt holes to make it sit level
-you wont have to relocate your licence plate

Just my .02

sixstringsteve

I think I'm just going to run the stock rear bumper and beat it up in moab 'till I have time to decide what I really want to do.

sixstringsteve

A HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to Eric (as always) and Mitch and Toby and Colton for all your help tonight. You guys are amazing. I'm going to make it to Moab because of you, and I don't need to be on suicide watch anymore.

We (Eric) got the clutch in, and we hefted the cases/tranny up into the vehicle. We decided to take it for a spin, and it wouldn't move. It was acting just like before. As my mind was racing through what it could be, I realized the rear output flange was turning, so I knew the clutch was working this time. Then I realized that I hadn't locked the hubs. once we locked the hubs, it drove without a hitch. it's fixed!

sixstringsteve

Here's what I'll be doing on Saturday:

- move rear shackle mounts back an inch or two
- install bed and camper shell
- install stock bumper
- install rear shocks
- raise prop valve mount

- install front bump stops
- adjust front steering stops
- bleed steering

and if there's time:
- install sliders
- wire lockers
- install seats/seatbelt
- trim fenders/front bumper
- install wheel spacers
- install mudflaps
- wire up a license plate light
- install rear diff guard
- add a leaf to the front springs
- install CB
and I need to remember to:
- fill t-cases
- make sure PS fluid isn't filled too high and it's bled

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
It looks like the cross pieces on the trail gear bumper arent even welded all the way around? I like style 3 the best but i like the idea of just keeping the stock bumper mine has taken several hard hits with only small dents. I think the rear bumper is the last of your worries by far

sixstringsteve

I'm tempted to raise the TG bumper about 4-5" so it sits at the bottom of the tailgate. I think it'd interfere with the tail lights a bit, but it'd sure get me a much better departure angle.

I finally realized why marlin/tg designed the bumper this way. They designed it for 4runners, which need a lower bumper. And rather than re-design one for the truck, they just made it work for both.

sixstringsteve

here's TG tacoma bumper. Maybe I"ll modify mine to look like this.

Attachments

• taco rear.jpg
    taco rear.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 9
  • trear.jpg
    trear.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

iamsparticus

Steve making the one you have look like that would be super easy, just some straight tube and a welder is all you need, oh and notcher to make it fit sexy

Max Power

Bryce
It looks like the cross pieces on the trail gear bumper arent even welded all the way around? I like style 3 the best but i like the idea of just keeping the stock bumper mine has taken several hard hits with only small dents. I think the rear bumper is the last of your worries by far

How can you tell that from those pictures? They are welded all the way around. TG's rep would go down the tube pretty fast if their products were that shotty.

sixstringsteve

Thanks to Brian and Lisa today. It was really nice to meet you two. I'm excited to wheel with you in Moab next week. And thanks to Chris again, he is the other half of my brain and helps me keep track of things and lift heavy objects.

I got a lot done today, but not nearly enough. I think I'm going to take wed off work to finish up the loose ends.

- Installed wheel spacers
- moved rear shackles back an inch and a half. The truck sits a lot higher in the back now
- installed rear shocks
- installed bed for the most part
- welded the legs to the sliders and painted them.

Still to do:
- get rear driveline shortened
- front bump stops
- front steering stops
- bleed PS
- check t-case fluid level
- install stock rear bumper
- cut the legs of the sliders and weld to the gusset kit and plates
- weld sliders to the truck
- see if I can drive over 20 mph with only 2" uptravel in the front and 3.5" in the rear
- mud flaps
- tighten the bolts to the bed
- install the shell
- install front seats and clean the interior
- trim fenders and front bumper
- tighten t-case output flange nut

Last edited:

iamsparticus

How can you tell that from those pictures? They are welded all the way around. TG's rep would go down the tube pretty fast if their products were that shotty.

Well it could be just the pic but i asked my wife and she too said it looks like a gap on the sides of the cross pieces, its not really important i just think that steve should beat the stock bumper first before he changes it, use what you have first i always say

sixstringsteve

The tg bumper is welded all the way around. its a sturdy bumper, just not my favorite design. ill berunning the stocker next week in moab, but I want to build my own soon, the stock bumper doesn't offer a whole lot of protection.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I think you should just try and run the TG one and see if it works.. If not just cut it and fix it when we get home. You don't want to get down there and smash the rear bed behind the wheel, and wish you had it. just my 2 cents

sixstringsteve

I can still return the bumper to Low Range if I don't use it. That's $300 in my pocket to build my own bumper, which will end up way better than the TG one.

Last edited: