Steve's '94 Toyota x-cab mild build

sixstringsteve

calling all friends who have nothing to do tonight...

Work party. My house. I could use some help getting my rig ready for "freeze your tail off" tomorrow. Here's what I'll be trying to tackle tonight:

- install caster shims
- new spring center bolts
- install trunion eliminator
- rebuild front knuckle
- flush PS pump
- stop the leak at the front third
- rig up a working e-brake

not necessary, but nice to have:
- install steering stops
- wire switches to the lockers

So, if you're around (even if we haven't met yet) and interested in lending a hand, you're welcome to come. I'll provide hot cocoa.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd make an effort to get down there if I didn't have a full list of gifts to finish up in the garage. Good luck.

Cascadia

Undecided
I feel like I'd be more of a hinderance than a help. What time are you thinking? We could make it a multiple work party and install my sliders at the same time. Ha.

sixstringsteve

Work party starts at 5 and ends at midnight (or whenever you have to leave).

Are you sliders weld-on or bolt on? Bring your junk on over, I haven't seen your truck yet. The more hands the merrier. Just don't steal my workers for your sliders :D

But in all seriousness, anyone is welcome. Even if you're not mechanically inclined, you're welcome to look over our shoulder. Or if you have a rig that needs some basic work, bring it over. I have a drill press, welder, metal chop saw, 20t press, and lots of tools scattered all over the garage. The more the merrier.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, finals are overrated. :guilty: Come on down Brandon, it'll be a great chance to meet some great guys and learn all about the inner workings of a toyota solid axle (almost identical to a sami axle).

sixstringsteve

sliders sound like a quick 30 min job, but they always end up taking 4+ hours in my experience. Do you have a welder you can bring? I need tips and wire for mine.

sixstringsteve

thanks for the help Eric, Bryce, and Brandon. I really appreciate it. I shouldn't have any problems with a leaky third now. I welded up that extra hole and re-installed the diff. The housing stripped for one of the diff studs, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do there. If it's not one thing, it's another.

sixstringsteve

For those curious, here's why the front diff was leaking with the rock assault housing:

My diff has a little cavity right at the bottom. I don't know if this is unique to new thirds, or HP thirds, or HP Elocker thirds.

IMAG0079.jpg

Here's what it looks like when installed:
IMAG0076.jpg

The housing is pretty thin around that spot, and it was thin enough to leak oil into that cavity and onto the ground.

So I welded the cavity up and I shouldn't see any leaks anytime soon.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Wow, that is interesting! I think I would have tempted to trim that part off the third all together.

Wish I could've made it last night, sounds like it was a god time!

Coco

id take a plastma, or a cut off wheel to that steve!! Get rid of that little lip, and weld that cavity up, and you would be good, and have no hang ups!