The backpacking thread

sixstringsteve

Will do. BTW, they're not waterproof at all, they're just to keep sticks and rocks and dirt out of the top of your boots. They're spandex material.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Did some shopping today and on my very tight budget I ended up shopping the internet pretty heavy.. ordered 2 Backpacks and getting ready to order new sleeping pads, just cant decide what to order. I don't think we will be doing any winter camping this year but will next year so I think I will just buy a couple xtherm pads and use them year round.

DAA

I don't do any winter backpacking, but my Son loves the XTherm for summer time Uintas trips. And I use an Exped Synmat UL7, which is a fairly warm pad itself, for all my backpacking trips (which are all warm weather).

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I don't think we will be doing any winter camping this year but will next year so I think I will just buy a couple xtherm pads and use them year round.

Awesome. I do the same, and only on the hottest of days does it feel hot (you can actually feel heat radiating back up to you, it's cool). Which backpacks did you go with?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I got a Gregory Fury 40 and my wife got the Womens version of the same, I was able to dig deep on the internet and got every discount I could find and paid a total of $135.00 shipped for both packs. I started to look at my tent closely and weight it out and try to decide what to do there, I think I will be using it this year as I can afford a new one but I can spread the weight a little to my wife and make it a little easier. Also bought the lightweight backpacking book, it kept me up all night....

ozzy702

I got a Gregory Fury 40 and my wife got the Womens version of the same, I was able to dig deep on the internet and got every discount I could find and paid a total of $135.00 shipped for both packs. I started to look at my tent closely and weight it out and try to decide what to do there, I think I will be using it this year as I can afford a new one but I can spread the weight a little to my wife and make it a little easier. Also bought the lightweight backpacking book, it kept me up all night....

I've got a Gregory Fury 40 that I picked up awhile back. It's a decent pack for cheap and somewhat comfortable if you can keep your overall pack weight down. It's a little on the small size so you'll need to be creative with your tent selection and how you pack it. You may want to split up the tent between you and your wife.

sixstringsteve

I got a Gregory Fury 40 and my wife got the Womens version of the same, I was able to dig deep on the internet and got every discount I could find and paid a total of $135.00 shipped for both packs.

SCORE!

Also bought the lightweight backpacking book, it kept me up all night....

Good man. It's an entertaining read, he did a great job with the book. A few of the chapters seem pretty crazy the first time you read it (wiping your butt with snow and grass), but after a while, it starts to sink and you start to be persuaded to his way of thinking, and you'll learn you can still be super comfortable at a lighter weight. There are certain things (like sleep and comfort) that I'm willing to carry a little extra weight for, but I'm willing to implement about 90% of the ideas in his book.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Scored a Xtherm off ebay for $149.99 Shipped for a Regular that is new. Im going to buy a sheet for it becous our quilts are square bottom to see work on the tapered pad. Also I don't want to buy another pad until I try sleeping on this one to see if I need a large or not. I am guessing that I will but I want to try and save both the money and the weight.

sixstringsteve

Very cool. i'm guessing you'll be fine on a regular size, though the large is wider.

For future reference, I get a discount at backcountry.com, so if anyone wants a price quote before pulling the trigger on something, I'd be happy to oblige.

sixstringsteve

think of all the money you'll be saving. :) You're doing her a favor.

The secret is to get your wife addicted to camping gear too.

ozzy702

think of all the money you'll be saving. :) You're doing her a favor.

The secret is to get your wife addicted to camping gear too.

I'm "fairly" frugal compared to most people. I'll drop good coin on quality products but don't like wasting money on stuff. My wife on the other hand is the very definition of frugal which is both a good and a bad thing. :)

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Im thinking really hard about buying a Nemo Meta 2P Tent. It would save me well over a pound and my kids could use my Marmot tent if they came.

I can get one right now for $229.95 shipped, I don't think I would find another tent as light for even close to that.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Im thinking really hard about buying a Nemo Meta 2P Tent. It would save me well over a pound and my kids could use my Marmot tent if they came.

I can get one right now for $229.95 shipped, I don't think I would find another tent as light for even close to that.

the memo is a pretty cool tent if you use trekking poles already.
Here is an option from Golite http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Tarp-P47002.aspx
It is 1 lb 9 oz and cheaper.

Take a look at the Golite imogene If you are looking for a tent that doesn't require trekking poles.. It is 249.99 and is 2 lbs 6 oz. Half a pound lighter. The nemo might fit your needs better as the imogene is pretty small. Take a look just in case. You don't have to pay for shipping either. You can pick it up at the traverse mountain store.

MattL

the memo is a pretty cool tent if you use trekking poles already.
Here is an option from Golite http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Tarp-P47002.aspx
It is 1 lb 9 oz and cheaper.

Take a look at the Golite imogene If you are looking for a tent that doesn't require trekking poles.. It is 249.99 and is 2 lbs 6 oz. Half a pound lighter. The nemo might fit your needs better as the imogene is pretty small. Take a look just in case. You don't have to pay for shipping either. You can pick it up at the traverse mountain store.

I havent followed this thread completely, but the shangra-la needs to be staked. Ive stayed in some places that are not stake friendly. What have people used in this scenario?
tia.

sixstringsteve

you can tie stakes to trees or bushes, rocks, or sticks. In snow you tie your guy lines to sticks and bury them in the snow. Not ideal, but it gets the job done.

sixstringsteve

I was really impressed with this tent when I saw it.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I ordered the Nemo Meta 2P, I couldn't pass it up.. It has everything I like about the zpacks Hexamid Duplex Tent but not as light (still a really light tent) but at a price I can afford right now (Abused a credit card) What trekking poles are you using Steve?