The backpacking thread

jentzschman

Good question, I'm curious what the others say. My wife has been using a Hydroflask thermos for cold trips lately. It's not UL at all, but it keeps our liquids from freezing. You can also keep a water bottle in your sleeping bag to keep it from freezing.

My Camelbak has been freezing a lot lately, but it's just been in the tube. I need to add my tube insulator and I think I'll be fine. My back keeps my backpack pretty warm, so I doubt it'll freeze in my pack.

The insulating tube is what I have been thinking as well. I have had no issue with the water in the bladder freezing, just he water in the tube. I blow it back into the bladder when done taking a drink, but it still manages to freeze a little. I guess carrying water in a bladder is not bad for day hikes, but I thought I would see what others do.

ozzy702

Wide mouth nalgene, upside down and with old wool socks covering them. Packed in my backpack or in my sleeping bag and I'm golden for the most part.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Wide mouth nalgene, upside down and with old wool socks covering them. Packed in my backpack or in my sleeping bag and I'm golden for the most part.

Any bottle should be kept upside down in winter, ice floats. Good tip Ozzy.

My favorite water bottles are whatever leftover powered or gatorade bottle I have. cheap and light.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
steve can you remind me of your pillow set up? I am looking for a good, light option

sixstringsteve

My pillow is very comfortable, but it's not light AT ALL.

Teressa uses the HMG cuben stuff sack with fleece on the inside, then turns it inside out and stuffs clothing in it for a pillow case.

I use the Nemo fillow, but it weighs an entire pound. I don't sleep well at all when I'm camping (except for the hours between 3 AM and 5:30 AM). I'd love a lighter option that still allowed me to sleep well, but I haven't found one yet. A lot of the time I'm sleeping on my arm with the pillow on top of it.

jentzschman

My pillow is very comfortable, but it's not light AT ALL.

Teressa uses the HMG cuben stuff sack with fleece on the inside, then turns it inside out and stuffs clothing in it for a pillow case.

I use the Nemo fillow, but it weighs an entire pound. I don't sleep well at all when I'm camping (except for the hours between 3 AM and 5:30 AM). I'd love a lighter option that still allowed me to sleep well, but I haven't found one yet. A lot of the time I'm sleeping on my arm with the pillow on top of it.

How does Teressa like using the stuff sack with clothes?

sixstringsteve

She really likes it. She says it's nice because she needs a stuffsack anyway, and with the fleece it's dual-purpose. She really likes it as a pillow.

If you don't have clothes, you can put pine needles, leaves, or even ziplock bags in it. I may have to experiment with ziplocks to see if that would give me enough support.

I need a pillow to sleep well, although I can get by with some rolled up fleece in a pinch. I use one of these: Cacoon Air Pillow. It weighs 3.8 oz and packs down pretty compact. It is fairly comfortable if I toy with the inflation. I picked mine up for a few bucks at the REI garage sale several years ago.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I need a pillow to sleep well, although I can get by with some rolled up fleece in a pinch. I use one of these: Cacoon Air Pillow. It weighs 3.8 oz and packs down pretty compact. It is fairly comfortable if I toy with the inflation. I picked mine up for a few bucks at the REI garage sale several years ago.

I was wondering about the cocoon. It seems like a great idea. Good to know you like it. Have you had any problems with it leaking? I read several reviews awhile ago that said it leaked. Maybe it has changed since then.

I am currently looking at the klymit X pillow with a down pillow on top.

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/pillows-and-chairs/pillow-x.html
with
https://goosefeetgear.com/products/3-down-pillows
or
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/pillows-and-bedding/down-pillow/product
on top

It would weigh 4 oz and seems like a super cush weigh(pun intended) to go. I frequently sleep on my side and stomach but roll around a lot. The air cocoon would be cheaper, same weight, and all together. hmmmm.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That X pillow is pretty cool, I like the self centering idea. I wonder if it's thick enough for fat sidesleeper, though.

DAA

Supporting Member
I have just been using whatever clothes I'm not wearing in a cuben stuffsack, inside of a shirt. But have been less than thrilled with the comfort. And I intend on carrying even fewer clothes this year, which will make for an even less satisfying pillow.

Davy, any feel at all for which you'd rather have, if you were only going to carry one? The X or the Goosefeet down? Down is always good, but the X looks like it might be more supportive and adjustable. The Thermarest down pillow just looks "weigh" too heavy.

I might squeeze in an extra 2 or 2.5 oz. for an improved pillow, one or the other. Don't think I'm willing to go a full 4 oz. to have both though.

- DAA