The upcoming moto ride/quick report.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Was your light already out when we hit all the downed trees? Haha. Or are you talking about the common af trails?

Oh, I know where to find downed trees on the lesser traveled trails like the one we were on last week. ;) I could spend a lot of time cutting those out, but they'll have to wait until spring.

Tonkaman

Passed you. You are supposed to say something a little sooner than you walk out the door. If you get bored, come to Moab

Yeah sorry. It was a real last minute decision to go out there.

I really am a luck man. My daughter and wife LOVE camping and adventuring. They don't mind an hours notice to pack a bag and leave town

Tonkaman

Well we returned safely from 5MOH. It turned out to be more like 24 hours of hell!
A 10° night made for plenty of icicles dangling off our faces and sleeping bags. And we really were humbled by the greatness what gives the trail it's name. Dozens of nasty rocky obstacles aren't the biggest problem, it's that they are all back to back with little or no room to run up to them. Although we all enjoyed the trip, I'm in no hurry to go back.

Pics should follow soon

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Victory!

That trail is a bit crazy. It's full on rock crawing with no break between ledges, loose rocks, boulders, slick rock, climbs, drops, cracks, wedges and cliffs...other than short bottomless fluffy sand washes for something around 9 miles.
To the trailhead and back was 20.1 miles and from the trailhead to the beginning of the 5MOH Trail is 3.2 and around 7 or 8 from the end of 5MOH to the truck (Lone Man trail) so I dont think there is 5 mIles in any of that math...

The are so many climbs where you get like 3.5ft of deep sand run up to a 45* rocky climb which made it a little hairy.

I was warm enough through the night with every piece of clothing I brought layered on and a -5 bag wrapped in a tarp... Although... we should have packed a tent... and much better winter gear. There was no wind the air was very very still. Who would have known it would be cold in the desert in November ;)

The night sky was clearer than I have ever remembered and with no moon early in the night the stars were outrageously bright.
Let's go back again soon. That was fun. And hard.

All the bikes worked great. Sticky tires are fun. Electric start is awesome.

The Crux was a trip. Brian did a Russian space launch with his bike and Ghost rode the whip nearly to the top.
Derek and I chose the more elegant route of struggling and slipping off stuff while pushing and lifting and smoking tires.

It was cold, 14*F at 7:00am so who knows how cold overnight. There was definitely ice on all the bikes and our various sleeping arrangements and faces... and all the water froze except for what was in the cooler...

Sorry I didn't bring more wood, but we didn't even burn it all.

Groggs in Price has good burgers. And salads.
Arby's has strange people in small towns like Salina, Brian got a rear flat and likes the smell of truckers. Small town sheriffs are often left handed shooters but left hand watch wearers.

Bahgera is a cool truck, I think I want one...with a flatbed.

Pics soon.
Let's go back soon.

Last edited: