Thoughts on Battery for '04 Wrangler LS swap

Mufasa_swap

Battery Suggestions - I'm guessing that this is going to be an easy question to answer but I'm going to put it out there anyway.

Because my swap took so long my battery is now dead. I was curious to know if I have the ability to run a new jeep battery for the '04 jeep OR will I need to change directions with the battery because of the swap. I know that I want to continue to use the existing battery location, and will need 'top post terminals'.

5.3L, Winch, and LED lights

Last edited:

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
If you're keeping the original tray then look at what is original for your jeep, unless you are running high demand electronics a stock flavored one will be fine

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
When looking up batteries, should I still look for Jeep or search by Chevy?
Batteries all do the same thing... you need to buy one that fits safely and securely where you are going mount it and has enough juice for what you're going to run. Doesn't matter what application the book says it's for.

If you're mounting it in the factory Jeep location, I'd buy a battery for the Jeep.

Mufasa_swap

Batteries all do the same thing... you need to buy one that fits safely and securely where you are going mount it and has enough juice for what you're going to run. Doesn't matter what application the book says it's for.

If you're mounting it in the factory Jeep location, I'd buy a battery for the Jeep.
I appreciate knowledge. I'm sure you're holding back the jokes :). As you mentioned I wanted to make sure I have enough 'juice' to crank it.

_Auzzy_

I appreciate knowledge. I'm sure you're holding back the jokes :). As you mentioned I wanted to make sure I have enough 'juice' to crank it.
None on my end, but yeah a good all around is a 34/78 Optima red top or yellow top. they come with adapters for different battery trays too.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Personally I am not a fan of the AGM batteries on an LS swapped vehicle.

I have seen too many erroneous DTC's and weird issues with these over the past few years. My feelings are that the internal resistance is so low that the ECM's have a hard time distinguishing the voltage separation and therefore can cause a lot of issues. I have had several that after checking and verifying all ground connections I swapped back in a good lead acid battery and never had another issue.

I have been using the Legend wet cell batteries for the past 4 or 5 years now with great success and no further issues. The NAPA batteries are made by East Penn/Deka and are very good batteries.

_Auzzy_

Personally I am not a fan of the AGM batteries on an LS swapped vehicle.

I have seen too many erroneous DTC's and weird issues with these over the past few years. My feelings are that the internal resistance is so low that the ECM's have a hard time distinguishing the voltage separation and therefore can cause a lot of issues. I have had several that after checking and verifying all ground connections I swapped back in a good lead acid battery and never had another issue.

I have been using the Legend wet cell batteries for the past 4 or 5 years now with great success and no further issues. The NAPA batteries are made by East Penn/Deka and are very good batteries.

Bad grounds are definitely a nightmare when dealing with electronics! I'll have to dig up a thread i found a few months ago where the OP measured out the sensors on a older 5.3 before and after adding a ground near the sensor, IE a throttle body stud and how it made the readings smoother/finer. whether or not it would be noticeable on a dyno or at the throttle or even in the long term of things is debatable but it could also be a cure for what you experienced. It was a thing i did on my titan back in the day and i actually seen it during my tuning process smooth out my readings.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Bad grounds are definitely a nightmare when dealing with electronics! I'll have to dig up a thread i found a few months ago where the OP measured out the sensors on a older 5.3 before and after adding a ground near the sensor, IE a throttle body stud and how it made the readings smoother/finer. whether or not it would be noticeable on a dyno or at the throttle or even in the long term of things is debatable but it could also be a cure for what you experienced. It was a thing i did on my titan back in the day and i actually seen it during my tuning process smooth out my readings.

Yes, bad grounds can be an issue. However, on a couple of these it was not a matter of bad grounds, it was due to the low internal resistance of the AGM batteries. The ECM was having difficulty differentiating the voltage separation so it threw codes for grounds, when grounds weren't the issue(s). I learned of this after also reading in some GM literature and talking with Robbie @ Motech that they were also having issues with AGM batteries. Not a single issue now in over 4 years on any of the ones I have replaced with good quality lead acid batteries.

_Auzzy_

Yes, bad grounds can be an issue. However, on a couple of these it was not a matter of bad grounds, it was due to the low internal resistance of the AGM batteries. The ECM was having difficulty differentiating the voltage separation so it threw codes for grounds, when grounds weren't the issue(s). I learned of this after also reading in some GM literature and talking with Robbie @ Motech that they were also having issues with AGM batteries. Not a single issue now in over 4 years on any of the ones I have replaced with good quality lead acid batteries.

Ah gotchya! never had any issue with my rigs with AGM's but not all situations are the same, that's a good bit of knowledge to have though! never knew that AGM's were low enough resistance to cause issues :oops:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I also tend to lean towards lead acid on a street driven rig. Generally cheaper with better warranties. A good one can handle deeper discharges better. A new version of your old jeep battery would be fine.

On a side note, GM is running factory AGM batteries in newer trucks now. I don’t recall seeing them in LS trucks, but a lot/all of the LTs have them.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
On a side note, GM is running factory AGM batteries in newer trucks now. I don’t recall seeing them in LS trucks, but a lot/all of the LTs have them.

I noticed that as well. The information I remember seeing was back around 2008/09-2014 range where they were recommending not running AGM batteries due to some nuisance codes and such.

85CUCVKRAWLER

I installed an standard walmart battery for a square body in the stock location, so bigger than stock but not much more so. I also clear packing tape the receipt to the outside of it so when it fails i go get a new one (4 in 4 years lol). I can grab a picture if you need be.

Oh its a Gen III LS 5.3L in a 97 TJ