Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

Caleb

I would generally agree with Steve on the wheels, although in this case, I think the 150R would be a way better bike. 60lbs on a bike is HUGE. I also think a properly tuned suspension will make it so you aren't bounced around like Steve mentioned with the slightly smaller wheels. jentzman's bike is a perfect example of that. He was all over the place until we zero'd out his suspension and then it was a completely different experience. You'll always be able to make way more power for a lot long with a liquid cooled bike. IMO, comparing these two bikes is like comparing an old antiquated bike to a new modern bike. Technologies have changed and the 230F hasn't. Of those two bikes, the 150R is a no brainer IMO.

Last edited:

jentzschman

I would generally agree with Steve on the wheels, although in this case, I think the 150R would be a way better bike. 60lbs on a bike is HUGE. I also think a properly tuned suspension will make it so you are bounced around like Steve mentioned with the slightly smaller wheels. jentzman's bike is a perfect example of that. He was all over the place until we zero'd out his suspension and then it was a completely different experience. You'll always be able to make way more power for a lot long with a liquid cooled bike. IMO, comparing these two bikes is like comparing an old antiquated bike to a new modern bike. Technologies have changed and the 230F hasn't. Of those two bikes, the 150R is a no brainer IMO.

Got that right! You guys rock for helping with that!

sixstringsteve

when I rode my kx100, it was tuned pretty well for me, but what I mean by bouncing around is your wheels like to deflect off of rocks rather than roll over them. My handlebars were always getting jerked around. That Soldier's pass singletrack loop would be hell on a small wheeled bike. Each of those rocks would feel twice as big. Kinda like crawling on 29's vs 37s.

You gotta ride my KDX hybrid, I think you'd dig it.

STAG

You gotta ride my KDX hybrid, I think you'd dig it.

Possibly, I really think I prefer/want a 4stroke though, and definitely don't want to have to go through the building that you did ha, I want something that is ready to ride and I want to leave it stock.

Kawasaki has a 140L, for $3,299 brand new off the showroom floor. 19"F 16"R wheels like the 150R, but it has the same suspension style as the 230F, but has disc brakes front/rear. Seat height it 31" though. I wonder if it would be too small/not enough power for me. Weight is 209 lbs and motor is air cooled. Wheelbase is same as the 150R.

I think it is actually pretty similar to the Honda 150F which I know I don't want. Not enough power. so nvm on the Kawasaki 140L

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The better I get at riding, the less seat height is an issue. I'll still tip over more than a tall guy will, but as I learn to ride better its not such a big deal.

My first year riding I took a ttr 125l all over AF canyon. It was a little mountain goat. It never stalled and it had enough power to haul me around. I wouldn't be happy with it now, but it did the job.

The KTM freeride 350 is supposed to be coming to the states next year.

sixstringsteve

Its old school technology, but an 85 xr350 would be a super fun AF canyon bike for short guys. I remember our first Rme ride up there. An older gentleman on his 85 xr350 was keeping right up with everyone else.

STAG

Get a wr250

Seat height is almost 39" and I have a 32" inseam. That is taller than my 450 was, its just too big for me.

But the TTR230 (as mentioned before) is a viable option, it seems nearly identical to the Honda 230F, just $200 cheaper and blue ha.

In fact the biggest difference I see between the two 230's is the Yamaha compression ratio is 9.5:1 while the Honda is 9.0:1

Not that big of a difference but everything else is really similiar. Just from my own experience I believe Honda makes a smidge better of a motor as far as reliability of an aircooled motor is concerned.

One more thing that is detering me from the 150R, like Steve stated is that it is made for motocross, made for going fast. And if that is any sign like my 450, it absolutely hated being lugged and going slow. I fear that if I went on a 8-hour slow-trail ride in Moab that it would hate it as bad as my 450 did. I believe bikes like that need to be driven fast all the time.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Something I've learned with my current bike:

shortening the subframe was easy to do, but with my kx125 I wouldn't do it again. It did help lower the rear fender, but not by a whole lot, and now there's no clearance between the rear shock and the air boot.

sixstringsteve

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Chance, also check out the pitster pro T4 LC.
http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/specs/id/54

- 37" seat height (which can be shaved)
- 223 lbs
- air-cooled 250cc 4-stroke (dead reliable)
- push-buton start
- very close to street legal (already has lights and turn signals)
- new costs around $2000
- great wheelbase for trails (54.5")
- usd forks
- discs front and rear
- linkage rear suspension

Yes, they're chinese-made, but they're the best made china bike out there and they're dead reliable. If I weren't a 2 stroke guy, that's probably what I'd be riding. That, or a TTR-250.

STAG

Hmm yeah I had completely forgot about pitster pro, I think if I were to get a 250 with a 37" seat height I would be having the same riding ergonomic issues as I had with my 450, but the difference there is it has electric start so I wouldn't tip over while trying to kick start it lol but I would still have to sit off to one side when stopped, and in hairy situations where I need to touch the ground I'd hate the first time that I tipped over a brand new bike lol.

Which made me click on their 230 lineups. The SC has the 19"/16" wheel sizes and a 35" seat height. Which I have learned 34" is about perfect so I could shave an inch on the seat easily enough but still left with small tires, and the 230 LC has the 21"/18" tires, but seat height of 36.8". How much can you shave a seat before you have to start wearing an athletes cup? Lol. The difference between the 230 LC and the 250 seat height is less than half an inch, then it would make sense to get the 250.

the only Pitster Pro I have ever seen in real-life was a 50cc and I could definitely tell it was a lesser-quality bike. But I won't use that to judge the 230/250 because I'm sure it could be a different ball-game. I like that the Pitster Pro 230/250 is 26lbs lighter than the Honda 230F and comes with the electric and kick starting. And honestly I like the styling of the PP too. I'll definitely go look at their store and check them out first-hand. Anyone know if they are still in lindon?

I think that unless the PP screams out poor quality when I see it that it will be a very viable option, just that I would have to try to lower it. I'm sure there is another thread out there on PP's but does anyone know on if it is a PITA to get replacement parts?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Last time I was at the edge they had the pitster pro T4 with the smaller wheels. It'd be worth trying out and riding around the parking lot. Pitster Pro is located in Lindon, and they usually have one of each of their models built. Parts are very easy to come by, and it doesn't hurt that Caleb is a dealer, so you'll get a much better price.

The XTR 230 LC is no longer made. It was replaced with the T4 250.

There are some PP threads on thumpertalk that rave about their reliability and parts. They say to check every single nut and bolt before riding one on a trail ride, but apart from that, people love 'em.

sixstringsteve

They look a little bit bulkier than a TTR, but they're miles ahead of any other chinese bike I've seen. If I didn't love my current bike so much, I'd be all over one of these. I'd still love to ride one up AF Canyon.

sixstringsteve

They're just as easy to get street legal as any other bike. They aren't sold new with a street legal title, but you can easily convert it after you pass a safety inspection.

I did a lot of research. I initially liked the 230 LC the most, but the owner explained to me that the 230 LC has the shock bolt straight to the swingarm (linkless). The T4 has a linkage suspension, which I prefer. There's a lot of extra stuff you can remove from the t4 to lower its weight even more. I agree though, the 230 XTR LC looks the best. You might be able to find a used one, but I never saw one.

Also, I've heard conflicting things about the XTR 230 LC vs SC. One time I called them and asked if the only difference was the wheel size, and they said "no, the frames are different sizes" which would match the wheelbase specs on their website. The other time I called, the owner assured me it was just wheel size (then again, he was trying to get me to like the T4 more than the XTR 230 LC).