Today I Want This....

Pile of parts

The_Lobbster

The ad says that the jeep is exempt from Utah emission testing. Is this a factory diesel, or someone making a wish?
Its a Nissan SD33 NA diesel engine, so pre 1998, anything diesel is exempt. As far as I know, the YJ's never came factory with them, but the CJ10A's did, so it's probably swapped. They're gutless from what I hear, but somewhat reliable. Also, converting something pre 1998 to diesel is actually pretty easy on the paperwork side of stuff. The DMV never asked to see proof of conversion for my Samurai, or my Comanche.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Its a Nissan SD33 NA diesel engine, so pre 1998, anything diesel is exempt. As far as I know, the YJ's never came factory with them, but the CJ10A's did, so it's probably swapped. They're gutless from what I hear, but somewhat reliable. Also, converting something pre 1998 to diesel is actually pretty easy on the paperwork side of stuff. The DMV never asked to see proof of conversion for my Samurai, or my Comanche.
Tell me more. Are you telling me I can swap a Cummins into My gas 97 F350 and magically become Emissions exempt? I find that hard to believe.

The_Lobbster

Tell me more. Are you telling me I can swap a Cummins into My gas 97 F350 and magically become Emissions exempt? I find that hard to believe.
Yes. By federal law, yes, you cannot remove any device that came factory, EGR, Catalyst, evap can, etc, but Utah county has diesels pre ‘98 exempt, so it’s an easy work around. When it came time to register/renew my samurai, I just showed them the title, that it listed the fuel as diesel, and they gave me zero issue about it.

I even called the DMV emissions office in Spanish Fork regarding conversion of a ‘98 Silverado, and he walked me through what I needed to do to keep it emissions compliant with the Cummins swap.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Yes. By federal law, yes, you cannot remove any device that came factory, EGR, Catalyst, evap can, etc, but Utah county has diesels pre ‘98 exempt, so it’s an easy work around. When it came time to register/renew my samurai, I just showed them the title, that it listed the fuel as diesel, and they gave me zero issue about it.

I even called the DMV emissions office in Spanish Fork regarding conversion of a ‘98 Silverado, and he walked me through what I needed to do to keep it emissions compliant with the Cummins swap.
My title says gas. Im in Salt Lake County

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
My brother has a former gas (460) 95 F350 with a 12 valve/NV4500 swapped in. It’s the ultimate truck imo. 97 and older in cache valley anyway are emissions exempt.
Mine has 66000 miles on it. I will swap a Cummins but I don't think I will be able to register with out some creativity. It will be the ultimate truck for me anyway.