Today I Want This....

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I make okay money, my wife makes okay money, we have no kids or car payments. I don’t think I could/(would want to) afford that boat. I want to know the financial situation of the 1000s of people in this state who have $200k ski boats.

I think it comes down to the experiences you can have with a boat. We grew up boating, mind you with a $20k? boat but considering my parents modest income and the dollar value at the time, it was still an indulgence. We used it a ton, Saturday afternoons, weeknights, trips to Yuba and occasionally Lake Powell. I think we got our money out of it in memories and family time.

Now, when I see those type of investments sit on the side of the house for 363 days of the year, I too wonder why that makes sense. Then again I say that about built 4x4’s, RV’s and tin-can campers, mountain bikes, motorcycles and yes even snowcats :D

(Anyone want to buy a snowcat?)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I think it comes down to the experiences you can have with a boat. We grew up boating, mind you with a $20k? boat but considering my parents modest income and the dollar value at the time, it was still an indulgence. We used it a ton, Saturday afternoons, weeknights, trips to Yuba and occasionally Lake Powell. I think we got our money out of it in memories and family time.

Now, when I see those type of investments sit on the side of the house for 363 days of the year, I too wonder why that makes sense. Then again I say that about built 4x4’s, RV’s and tin-can campers, mountain bikes, motorcycles and yes even snowcats :D

(Anyone want to buy a snowcat?)

100% agree on experience, I was clueless on the price of these surf boats until I was looking for a boat myself. Though I’ve set a 10k budget not 200k 😂

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My dad was "cheap" and we had a boat growing up. It was not fancy. We went boating at Willard bay all summer long and we'd go to Powell for a week in the fall after things cooled down.

For my big family, 7 kids, I don't think there was anything we could all do together cheaper than to go boating. Sometimes we'd even stop for a fried chicken at the Albertsons on the way home.

My uncle got a "nice" ski boat when I was in high school and then a few years later realized that they weren't using it and sold it to my parents so he could put in a swimming pool. I dreamed of a roll bar/tower on a boat while I was growing up. I've still never been behind a boat that had one. Now it sits in their garage. Goes out maybe once or twice a year.

No doubt the 144 month loan offered on the new surf boats helps. Although, I don't think I'd be allowed to buy one based on my belly. I heard you have to be skinny and good looking to own one.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I make okay money, my wife makes okay money, we have no kids or car payments. I don’t think I could/(would want to) afford that boat. I want to know the financial situation of the 1000s of people in this state who have $200k ski boats.
With low interest rates and how quick home values have raised, I think a lot of people have bought recreation on home equity lines. As those rates have climbed, so have their payments.

I’ve been watching the used surf boat market for a bit. As my sons racing winds down we are going to transition into spending some time at Powell like I did as a kid. In the past 6 months the prices on these boats have noticeably dropped and I believe in the next year they will come down quite a bit more. Still expensive but not stupid expensive like they were a year ago.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
With low interest rates and how quick home values have raised, I think a lot of people have bought recreation on home equity lines. As those rates have climbed, so have their payments.

I’ve been watching the used surf boat market for a bit. As my sons racing winds down we are going to transition into spending some time at Powell like I did as a kid. In the past 6 months the prices on these boats have noticeably dropped and I believe in the next year they will come down quite a bit more. Still expensive but not stupid expensive like they were a year ago.

2008 here we come!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My friend has a similar business to ours and he 10x'ed it in the past 5 years. We're in a group that helps other businesses to come up. I hope to be there some day. If I can be half a gracious as my wealthy friends are with their money I'll be a happy guy. For now though I feel incredibly blessed to take my family racing dirtbikes. I could have never imagined that level of disposable income as a kid.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’ve owned 4 tow boats. First was $20k and 18 years old. Then jumped to a $50k boat that was WAY better. Then a $110k boat that was WAY WAY better. Then a $95k boat that wasn’t as good as the previous boat one, but had all the bro features that people drool over at the ramp. 🙄
I set my loans up so I paid $200 every Friday on each boat. All had 20 year terms. Once you get used to the idea that you are basically renting them it’s not bad. I will never own a new boat. You can never get ahead or brake even on them. I purchased great deals and was up money when I sold them. Like $25k up on the last one. But boats went through the roof during Covid.
Moombas are great “budget” boats. They can make a fantastic surf wave, which is all I cared about. For my wife and kids it was hard to go from top of the line to bottom of the line in creature comforts even if the wave was nice. I looked at and test drove several that we ended up passing on.
To this day my kids will tell you that boating was their favorite activity. Packing in their friends or another family or two was always a good time. The price becomes not so bad with that many people. How much would it cost 15 people to go snowboarding at Snowbird? We went every week. Wet suits when the ice broke and wet suits into November.
I want one down here bad. We’d boat year round…..but Alaska.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just assume a lot of people are going broke acting rich but hey, that’s the American dream, right?

I expect we’ll have a boat at some point because my wife grew up in a boating family and she swears it kept her teenage brothers hanging around. I was pretty cool with the idea like 10 years ago but now I’m a curmudgeon-y old man that would rather have a fishing boat than a surf boat.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I just assume a lot of people are going broke acting rich but hey, that’s the American dream, right?

I expect we’ll have a boat at some point because my wife grew up in a boating family and she swears it kept her teenage brothers hanging around. I was pretty cool with the idea like 10 years ago but now I’m a curmudgeon-y old man that would rather have a fishing boat than a surf boat.
Now you're talking. A nice big comfy fishing boat.

KingFisher Boat.jpg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've never been a boat person. Water skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, etc. never really excited me. But I've always liked being on water and swimming in lakes.

The past couple summers I've been able to go out on a pontoon boat at Flaming Gorge, and that's my kinda boating! Basically a reverse swimming pool. Pull into a cove, weigh anchor and just hang out for the day. Perfect.

My wife and sister-in-law are pretty set on going in on one, so who knows, maybe I'll be rocking one of these soon:
1690130554746.jpeg

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I've never been a boat person. Water skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, etc. never really excited me. But I've always liked being on water and swimming in lakes.

The past couple summers I've been able to go out on a pontoon boat at Flaming Gorge, and that's my kinda boating! Basically a reverse swimming pool. Pull into a cove, weigh anchor and just hang out for the day. Perfect.

My wife and sister-in-law are pretty set on going in on one, so who knows, maybe I'll be rocking one of these soon:
View attachment 162027

I think this is the way, with a pair of jet ski and wave runner for riding around.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

View attachment 162027

Same boat (ha ha?)

This is what I really want.

But was going to pick up a “cheap” boat in the meantime to see how much I’m really able to use it before making the big investment.