Trying to decide on a bike

jentzschman

Ok, I am having one heck of a time trying to figure out what kind of bike I want to get.

I sold my CBR, but am REALLY missing riding on the street.

I have thought about getting one of THESE

However, I also want to try out the dirt bike scene and found THIS guy.

So, what I am asking is would I regret getting the yz in favor of the drz or vise versa?

Ya, it would be nice to have both a street and a dirt bike, and honestly I have thought about getting the drz now to use for both, then getting a dirt bike later while keeping the drz for street.

Thanks for letting me rant, but its nice to hear others ideas as well....

Thanks,

Trevor

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
How about cut it down the middle and get a plated WR or KTM EXC? :D

You could end up really liking either bike. One of my riding buddy's has a DRZ400S like the one you pictured and it is a great bike on the street, fire roads and two track he has put a ton of miles on it and it asks for almost nothing in return. It never fails though every time he hits single track with it we have to hear him b#%ch about something the whole time--mostly about how heavy and awkward the bike is lol :p

With the YZ you might find yourself wanting a larger tank (40 miles is pushing it on 2 gallons), a spark arrestor and a few other items for trail use but its totally doable and they really make great trail bikes with a little tuning.

Decisions decisions... Sorry I'm not much help.

sixstringsteve

How about cut it down the middle and get a plated WR or KTM EXC? :D

x2

just remember, a dual sport will not drive anything like your CBR on the road. It won't replace that feeling. It also won't handle the dirt like a yz250. It's a compromise.

What do you love most about road riding?

I'd recommend you buy something with a high resale value, so if you decide that dirt riding isn't for you, you won't be out much money. Better yet, see if you can rent a dirt bike for a weekend or two to see how you like it.

rholbrook

I echo everything stated above. I would tend to sway you more towards a WR or CRFX 450 and then a DRZ before a strictly dirt that way you can go down the road on it. I would stay with the higher CCs because you like the power. DRZs are great bikes and are as fast as a stock off the showroom WR until you get all the crap off of the WR. When I get back in town in a few weeks holler and we can got up above the B and you can ride my WR

jentzschman

x2

just remember, a dual sport will not drive anything like your CBR on the road. It won't replace that feeling. It also won't handle the dirt like a yz250. It's a compromise.

What do you love most about road riding?

Ya, I know. But that is kind of what I am looking for. A little slower pace...

I like the feeling of just riding. I like the mpg that a bike offers also over my truck. I know the WR tank is not huge, but per gallon, it is much better then my truck, I would hope at least.

One of my riding buddy's has a DRZ400S like the one you pictured and it is a great bike on the street, fire roads and two track he has put a ton of miles on it and it asks for almost nothing in return. It never fails though every time he hits single track with it we have to hear him b#%ch about something the whole time--mostly about how heavy and awkward the bike is lol :p

Decisions decisions... Sorry I'm not much help.

No, that is helpful. I would not mind, at least I don't think, using the drz as a way to get a feel for the dirt, and still be able to ride street. I also would not mind, down the road, getting strictly a dirt bike, if the dirt seems to fit me. Ya, it will be harder to gauge using the drz for both, but it might offer a window at least.

I have never thought about the WR's. I have now been looking. Found one on KSL that is already street legal, but its in St. George.

I echo everything stated above. I would tend to sway you more towards a WR or CRFX 450 and then a DRZ before a strictly dirt that way you can go down the road on it. I would stay with the higher CCs because you like the power. DRZs are great bikes and are as fast as a stock off the showroom WR until you get all the crap off of the WR. When I get back in town in a few weeks holler and we can got up above the B and you can ride my WR

That would be amazing! I would love to try it out, thank you very much for the offer.

I have found a few WR's already in the area. The only "as is" street legal one though is down in St. George.

I have found a few others thought that would only require a few items to get them street legal.

Thank you for the input guys. I have never considered the WR before so thank you.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I don't think as a dual sport you'd be disappointed in the DRZ.
It's definitely more comfortable on the road, it just won't be a powerhouse.

The lack of suspension is what put me off on dual sports. I've been down that road.
had a CBR600 f1. Decided I wanted to go offroad too so a 150 suzuki enduro then a honda 200xr clone.
I just beat them to pieces.

jentzschman

I don't think as a dual sport you'd be disappointed in the DRZ.
It's definitely more comfortable on the road, it just won't be a powerhouse.

The lack of suspension is what put me off on dual sports. I've been down that road.
had a CBR600 f1. Decided I wanted to go offroad too so a 150 suzuki enduro then a honda 200xr clone.
I just beat them to pieces.

What do you mean lack of suspension?

jentzschman

Buy my KTM 525 exc and you'll be set ;) tons of power, good suspension, handles single track nicely, pretty fun on the street...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=21882399&cat=&lpid=&search=ktm%20525%20exc

Good looking bike....

the drz will have plenty unless you want to really get after it.

Ya, I like to get after it a little, but not too crazy. Kind of why I sold the cbr, just wanting to slow things down a little, that and just a change of pace. As mentioned, wanting to try dirt a little...

Caleb

Buy my KTM 525 exc and you'll be set ;) tons of power, good suspension, handles single track nicely, pretty fun on the street...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=21882399&cat=&lpid=&search=ktm%20525%20exc

What are your plans now? That's a great bike.

Personally, after having a Husky 610, a CRF450x, and now my 300XC I wouldn't even consider a DRZ unless I knew I would be doing more time on the street than off. I test rode a couple, and in my first couple of bike choosings, they were in my list but I never really got "that" feeling when I rode them around. It was just OK. If you're wanting to stick with the four stroke, then I'd look at getting a WR. Way better on maintenance and upkeep over a CRF.

Last edited:

GAR

Ya, 540 kit! Dang. I mean I had the cbr 600. Not sure how it would compare....

haha, I don't think it would compare. your cbr probably has twice the horsepower. You can come over and ride it around if you want, even if you don't want to buy it. Might help ya get a feel for what you want. send me a pm

I'm not really sure I want to sell it, just testing the waters I guess. I have a harebrained new project idea so.....

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I really like those 525's :chris: They get up and boogie but they are such a gentle giant at the same time-very forgiving and predictable motor. I've been kicking around the idea of getting one (pretty much since the first time I rode a 520 when they first came out) a lot lately :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Other then the power difference, how to they compare to the WR450f's?

Last one 525 I rode was an 05 and its been well over a year ago. Power wise the KTM RFS engine is more of an "old school 4T" meaning it is a bottom end torque motor (however it does rev out nicely) whereas the WR likes to be revved a little more go get in the power.

Its tough to answer your question. Overall they are very comparable. Both are very popular and very reliable and they both have been outstanding in terms of people loving them. I feel the KTM beats the Yamaha as far as suspension. The WP components are very high quality and I like not having linkage. Overall build quality and attention to detail are better on the KTM. The Yamaha beats them on price and replacement parts cost but both hold their resale valve very well. I absolutely love my WR but if cost was not a factor I would pick the KTM almost exclusively for that 6th gear--what was Yamaha thinking?!

Like all KTM's I say newer the better because I was personally like a fish out of water on the 98-02's :ugh: Thinking about it brings back bad memories as I could not keep those bikes going straight to save my life-in mud it was all over! :eek: I've had no trouble on the newer models for whatever reason.