Trying to decide on a bike

jentzschman

PM me if you want to come ride mine. I happen to have Cheston's in my garage as well right now.

Russ

Wow, that is great. thanks for the offer, I will have to hit you up on that... I just can't shake the itch to get one... I would like to get one this year, but the finances always dictate...

jentzschman

I wish I could figure out what type of terrain I will most likely be riding is so I can narrow down my search.

I'm pretty confident that I will end up getting a wr450, but I like the price point of the 250 2t and the seer zip and on-your-toe feeling they offer.

I also like the ability to use regular gas in the 450 if/when I need it, so that is a huge point for the wr.

I also like the street-ability that the wr450 will bring.

So, I guess it seem clear that the WR450 is winning the battle. Now if I could just find a good year and price.

I know I do not want a newer one as this is my first owned dirt bike and the price point is better with a more "mature" year.

Right now I think a 04-06 is where I am at.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Caleb

I wish I could figure out what type of terrain I will most likely be riding is so I can narrow down my search.

I'm pretty confident that I will end up getting a wr450, but I like the price point of the 250 2t and the seer zip and on-your-toe feeling they offer.

I also like the ability to use regular gas in the 450 if/when I need it, so that is a huge point for the wr.

I also like the street-ability that the wr450 will bring.

So, I guess it seem clear that the WR450 is winning the battle. Now if I could just find a good year and price.

I know I do not want a newer one as this is my first owned dirt bike and the price point is better with a more "mature" year.

Right now I think a 04-06 is where I am at.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Have you rode a 450 before? I wouldn't say they are a slug at all. Infact I've seen many 250 2T vs. 450 4T races and the the 450 always edges out the 250. The only advantage the 2T has over the 4T is the weight. Everything else goes to the 4T. If being super lightweight is a big deal to you (as it is to many) then a 2T is a good option but there are trade-offs.

jentzschman

Have you rode a 450 before? I wouldn't say they are a slug at all. Infact I've seen many 250 2T vs. 450 4T races and the the 450 always edges out the 250. The only advantage the 2T has over the 4T is the weight. Everything else goes to the 4T. If being super lightweight is a big deal to you (as it is to many) then a 2T is a good option but there are trade-offs.

I have test rode a few wr450, but only for about 5-10 minute so my time on them is very limited. I have rode friends 250 2t when I was younger, but it's been years.

I am concerned about weight a little, at least I would have to guess I am. I can see myself riding in AFC alot, 5mp next most, and hopefully with others from this forum as much as possible where every they frequent. So being able to handle the varies terrain without killing myself too much would be a plus.

BTW Caleb, thanks for all your input and advice. You have provided a lot of information that I have never considered and it has helped me sort out my ideas, etc....

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have test rode a few wr450, but only for about 5-10 minute so my time on them is very limited. I have rode friends 250 2t when I was younger, but it's been years.

I am concerned about weight a little, at least I would have to guess I am. I can see myself riding in AFC alot, 5mp next most, and hopefully with others from this forum as much as possible where every they frequent. So being able to handle the varies terrain without killing myself too much would be a plus.

BTW Caleb, thanks for all your input and advice. You have provided a lot of information that I have never considered and it has helped me sort out my ideas, etc....
A 250 2T would not be a good AFC bike. Most 250 2T bikes are mid to top end power and would require a lot more finesse to ride in tight and technical terrain.

Caleb

A 250 2T would not be a good AFC bike. Most 250 2T bikes are mid to top end power and would require a lot more finesse to ride in tight and technical terrain.

Exactly, with the 300 being the exception, most 2T bikes are this way. You gotta ride on the pipe to find the power of a 2T, that kind of riding generally doesn't lend itself too well to Mountain Single Track riding.

Caleb

Interesting. and here I am about to get a yz250 for AF canyon. Hm...

Some like them...but I think they are the wrong tool for the job. I have a buddy I ride with who is a good rider and swears by his YZ250, but more than once we've had to pull his bike out of a tree (yes, I'm dead serious) because he looped it out or lost control because to make a climb, etc he had to be on it otherwise he had absolutely nowhere near the needed power. The 300 is the exception, you can lug that bike like you do a 4T and still have plenty of power with the twist of the throttle.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
spending the day on Russ' bike last saturday was a pleasure. i love the wr450. i do wish it was a little bit lighter but its not THAT bad.

im very excited to own one finally.

they are just mountain goats.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
A 2t geared right is the only way to go! Don't buy into the 4t sell out crowd. The ONLY downside to my bike that i have found is my top speed is limited. I can lug it all day long up AF, then bust out some killer dunes riding the next.
- and dud I mention it starts with one kick, even when cold?

sixstringsteve

Your bike definitely impressed my up there. You putted up everything while I was wringing out my kx100. I can live with a top speed of 40mph.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
A 2t geared right is the only way to go!

Ya I'm on your side lol :D I've been riding 4T's lately solely for the better dual sportability and fuel range. I'd rather be on a 2T tenfold if it were not for those two things especially in the tight single track.

That said I do not recommend a novice rider buying a stock YZ250 and heading for AF Canyon :p

jentzschman

A 2t geared right is the only way to go! Don't buy into the 4t sell out crowd. The ONLY downside to my bike that i have found is my top speed is limited. I can lug it all day long up AF, then bust out some killer dunes riding the next.
- and dud I mention it starts with one kick, even when cold?

While that may be the case, I am trying to find some "common" ground. While I would love the ease/cost of maintenance, lighter weight, and peep the 2t offers, I want to be able to ride on the street short distances and not have to worry about mixed fuel.

See, this is why I have had a hard time figuring out what to get! ugh

Caleb

One would think that huh... :rofl:

...or get the wr450 and find out it's not the bike for you, but you'll never know unless you get a bike and try it. You'll find what works for you and what doesn't, you may find you don't want streetability and just want a feather weight, or you may decide you don't care for single track and love long rides and fire roads and want a big old VStrom/BMW/etc type bike. You won't know until you get something :)

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My desert tank has solved the fear of needing fuel. I can go multiple trips without filling up. In fact, I have not had to fill up on a ride, ever. I did top off on our last trip, but only because I could not because I needed.

rholbrook

At this point can you really get a bad bike between a 2T like a YZ250, CR250R or a 4T WR450, KTM450XCW?

You will have fun on any of them but they are built for different types of riding.

The fact remains that there is not a DO ALL bike out there. You can get close but there just isnt. The closest would be the KTM300XCW.

I think you would be happier with something 4T that would be much easier on the road. In a perfect world you would own both types of bikes but money and wives usually puts a damper on that.

YZ250
Pros Cons
Fast Fast
Light Mix Oil
Nimble No light(can add)
FUN FUN Hard to make street legal
cheap to rebuild Wont be good on the street
Great in Sand Not as good in rough single track
Great in Desert Have to gear down to get more bottom end
Great top end NO ELECTRIC START
Not really geared for single track

WR450
Pros Cons
Fast Heavier
Dependable Expensive to rebuild if needed
No mixing gas Not as good in Sand(heavier)
easy to plate Not as nimble(heavier)
easy to lug
easy on single track
FUN FUN
Great in Desert
Great in AF Canyon
Headlight
Don't need to gear down
ELECTRIC START

I grew up riding bike 2T's. I love them but they have no place in my life right now. The Katoom 300's are bad ass. There is no doubt why they are so popular. They flat work, no doubt about it. The only draw back is Street-ability. If you are going from trail to trail then they work. If you want to cruise them around, no. The stink factor of a 2T is higher too. If you want to ride it to work 5 miles away, you will stink more than if you ride a 4T.

Why a 4T that comes from the factory with a headlight? Easier to ride on the road. Does that mean I would ride one from Kaysville to Provo? Never, they aren't made for that. They are wound up too tight to ride that far. People do it but not me. Yes they are heavier, a KTM300XCW similarly equipped comes in at around 245 lbs wet. A WR450 270lbs wet, KTM450XCW 260lbs wet. The difference really is the rotating mass.

The one reason I would get the WR over the others is dependability. They are proven to be better in that aspect. You can read article after article in all the Dirt Bike magazines. Honda has a single cam which is nicer if you do have to rebuild. KTMs have really stolen the market. They are lighter and better out of the box with better brakes and hydraulic clutches but they are typically a grand more. The problem with the KTM is the motor wears out faster. I know I will get arguments here but they do. I ride with a lot of guys that have KTMs and I ride more than them and they are on their 1st or 2nd rebuild. I have yet to have to do anything to mine but I did shim my valves once but only because I put in a YZF exhaust cam. My WR runs great and I know I can go out in the garage and push that magic button and it will run great.

This really boils down to personal preference. I like the WR but if I did get a 2T it would be the KTM300XCW. If I got a YZ250, I would put a big bore kit in it but it really isn't geared for my riding style but neither is a YZ450 or CRF450R or any of the other track bikes. You could put a Rekluse in them and that would cure that but it still doesn't have a E Start.

My suggestion to you is to come up to my house, arrange a time with Cheston and you can take my WR up on the mountain above Kaysville for an hour. He knows the way. Cant do it Friday through Saturday this week because we are heading south to ride one more time before my son goes into the MTC but after or before that you are welcome to come take it.