Trying to decide on a bike

jentzschman

I can see how a 6th gear would be nice, makes sense on a enduro bike, as I would like to use it for street riding a fair amount.

Man, I hate trying to figure this all out. I may be making it too difficult, but I just want to do as much research as I can and try to find the one bike that fits my needs as best as possible. I know I will have to give up some things for the things I want and that is what is making this hard, IMO. Again, it could just be me making it harder then it has to be... ;)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You really need at least 3 bikes. My choices would be

Yzf 450 for desert and track, TTR 250 for singletrack and some light dual sporting and a KLR650 or KTM adventure bike for some serious back road touring.
The WR and the KTM are really good for a compromise of singletrack/dirt road handling with enough power to hold 55 on the road and not be revved out.

I have the first two on my list and am working on the adventure bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jentzschman

You really need at least 3 bikes. My choices would be

Yzf 450 for desert and track, TTR 250 for singletrack and some light dual sporting and a KLR650 or KTM adventure bike for some serious back road touring.
The WR and the KTM are really good for a compromise of singletrack/dirt road handling with enough power to hold 55 on the road and not be revved out.

I have the first two on my list and am working on the adventure bike.

Totally agree. However, It's costly and not always possible to do so. That is why I am trying to find a good balance.

I think the KTM would fit better as it offers a 6th gear the WR450f does not. Plus, I heard the ktm is easier to maintain when it comes to valve adjustments.

So, its just figuring out what might work best for me.

There is a good chance I am over thinking this all and I should just pick the wr or the exc, easier said then done I guess, at least in my case.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I have a kick-only DRZ and have been pretty happy with it so far. It will break 90MPH and has plenty of power for trails, fire roads, desert, or whatever. The 450's will outrun it, but not by much. I get 30 MPG while riding it HARD in dirt, probably more like 50 on road only. Its road manners are good for a dirt bike, but freeway time gets old quickly.

I had the chance to ride Russ' WR450R a few weeks back, and by comparison it was the better dirt machine of the two. It had probably 20% more power up top, better (or at least better dialed in) suspension, and a lower center of gravity.

If you want a commuter that still does great in dirt, get a DRZ. If you want a dirt bike that can be ridden 10 miles from your house to the trail now and then, get a WR. Either one is a great bike and a good bang for your buck.

Jared

jentzschman

I think overall I am back leaning toward the DRZ, followed by the KTM, and then the WR. Reasons: From what I have researched, the DRZ is build a little better for the true DS in mind and will not need as much time to maintain, ie less time in between valve adjustments, which is a big one for me personally.

I like that the KTM has 6 gears, which honestly is giving the DRZ for a big run for the money. The WR is more a dirt bike then a DS, and I am favoring the street riding over the dirt a little.

My main goals for the bike are:

1) Needs to me fairly easy to maintain and not crazy pricey (one of the reason I have steered clear of the 4T is because of the cost to rebuilt the top end, whcih I know will be needed at some point)
2) Good MPG as this will be used for a fair amount of street use

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Sounds like logical thinking, honestly. You've obviously done your research and you're right on the money. The WR is a great dirt bike, but is does get crap for mileage... usually around 35 MPG or so. If that's a pretty important point for you, then pass on the WR.

I had a DRZ and it wasn't bad, sounds like for what you want it's a good choice. There are plenty of guys out there that use them for 'Adventure' bikes, riding them all over the place with mile after mile. That has to say something about the bike!

jentzschman

Sounds like logical thinking, honestly. You've obviously done your research and you're right on the money. The WR is a great dirt bike, but is does get crap for mileage... usually around 35 MPG or so. If that's a pretty important point for you, then pass on the WR.

I had a DRZ and it wasn't bad, sounds like for what you want it's a good choice. There are plenty of guys out there that use them for 'Adventure' bikes, riding them all over the place with mile after mile. That has to say something about the bike!

Ya, I think I have put too much thought into it :D

I love that the KTM has a 6th gear, which for me is sounding nice, but I am slightly worried about the service intervals on the valves. Im not mechanically dumb, but not experienced either when it comes to bikes either.

So, the battle still rages between the KTM and DRZ :rolleyes:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Don't stress out about valves or top ends wearing out on the WR, KTM or the DRZ's too much :D Most people ride the wheels off these bikes--and then some long before anything major happens to the valves or top-end. As you probably know the WR and DRZ both use shims which requires the removal of the cams. Checking them is easy and shimming them is a very straight forward procedure on both bikes and once you understand what to do. My WR has a TON of street and dirt miles racked up on it and I re-shimmed this spring. The only valves out of adjustment were the 2 exhausts--they had the stock shims and were out by .001" (which is almost nothing lol) :p The KTM (07 and older RFS motors) uses tappets which are very easy to check/adjust.

Keep up on oil changes and keep the air filter clean and any of the 3 mentioned will last a very long time and ask for little or nothing in return.

jentzschman

Don't stress out about valves or top ends wearing out on the WR, KTM or the DRZ's too much :D Most people ride the wheels off these bikes--and then some long before anything major happens to the valves or top-end. As you probably know the WR and DRZ both use shims which requires the removal of the cams. Checking them is easy and shimming them is a very straight forward procedure on both bikes and once you understand what to do. My WR has a TON of street and dirt miles racked up on it and I re-shimmed this spring. The only valves out of adjustment were the 2 exhausts--they had the stock shims and were out by .001" (which is almost nothing lol) :p The KTM (07 and older RFS motors) uses tappets which are very easy to check/adjust.

Keep up on oil changes and keep the air filter clean and any of the 3 mentioned will last a very long time and ask for little or nothing in return.

Thanks for the input, it helps and hurts at the same time! ;)

Caleb

Agreed. IMO, this is the real benefit to the WR over the CRF. The WR maintenance is so minimal, especially for the type of bike it is.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I bought my yzf on 08 new. It has well over 200 hours of HARD use, mx track, sand dunes and a few trial miles. I am still running the stock motor, no adjustments. It is loosing a little compression but valve train is solid. I would guess this is about what 10k DS miles would be as far as use and abuse.

jentzschman

I bought my yzf on 08 new. It has well over 200 hours of HARD use, mx track, sand dunes and a few trial miles. I am still running the stock motor, no adjustments. It is loosing a little compression but valve train is solid. I would guess this is about what 10k DS miles would be as far as use and abuse.

Wow, that is some hard riding!

Thank you all for your help! I am getting real close to deciding, but it looks like the WR is pulling ahead.

jentzschman

Well, I think I finally decided on the WR.

Found a few I have been looking at so now I just need to pull the trigger, and right now that is what is stalling me... Still not 100% sure I want to go through with it yet... Still just weight it all out....

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
The WR is a pretty good choice, honestly. I have an '04 that I got for cheap and it's been all over. I would love to upgrade, but it's so hard to commit to selling!

rholbrook

I saw that one. It makes me nervous when they say, "Suped Up". Has it been riden hard?

For the money this is better because its a 2008
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=21819518&cat=&lpid=&search=wr450

This is a better buy

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=21828605&cat=&lpid=1&search=wr450

I am heading to St George tonight and can take a look for you. It wll save you $300 to $500 because it is already titled for street and has the street legal kit on it.

This one is a great buy too. Its the old frame but still a great bike.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=22156462&cat=&lpid=1&search=wr450

jentzschman

I saw that one in Santa Clara but never even bothered as it is all the way down there....

I also saw the one in Park City, but never really entertained the idea of that one.. not sure why...

As for the one in Springville, what is does the FX mean?