wanted: your old aluminum beer bottles

sixstringsteve

looks really good Brian. I've made three now. I've got some rockstar cans saved up for a few other designs I've been playing out in my head.

I'm still looking for some hefty aluminum bottles though.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This is cool stuff, thanks for bringing it our attention. I'm going to make a couple of these to have on hand.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think I still have a couple cases of the old school pint AU bud light bottles laying in storage somewhere.

I agree this is cooler than I thought it would be when I opened this thread. Dumb question, what type of alcohol are you using in this?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think I still have a couple cases of the old school pint AU bud light bottles laying in storage somewhere.

I agree this is cooler than I thought it would be when I opened this thread. Dumb question, what type of alcohol are you using in this?

You have some bud light bottles made of gold? :eek: :eek: I'm impressed!!

sixstringsteve

you use denatured alcohol in them. Isopropyl kinda works, but it doesn't burn very hot. Denatured is recommended.

And I'd love to take some of those pint bottles off your hands Cody...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
You can use all sorts of alcohol in them in a pinch. Lots of thruhikers use nailpolish remover or Heet or whatever they can find when they pop out into civilization to resupply.

I've got a great big Rockstar can with a screw top that I have hopes for. I've been messing around with Altoids tins and perlite, but I'm having trouble getting a good jet going with those. I haven't done a boil test yet.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So I attempted to make one of these tonight (penny variety since it looked the easiest.)

I started to split the side when I pressed the 2 halves together, is that the reason for the larger cans?
PENNY1.jpgpenny2.jpg

Need some HEET, I have red but from what I read it's not recommended and I should use yellow. I'll grab some tomorrow and see how it lights.

sixstringsteve

Looking good! I split my first one too. I just stretched it too far too fast. You could also close that with JB weld or silicone.

I prefer the stoves that are open in the middle, rather than the penny stoves. The penny stoves are a bit more dangerous to light, but they're more efficient.

I think the reason for the thicker aluminum is so you can stack the stove on top of it so you don't need a pot stand.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Built another today and got some heet I think I put too many or too large of holes in it. I don't think it's getting up to optimal pressure. I ended up putting it inside of another can and putting some fuel around it to get it going (not sure if I was supposed to do that.)

fire1.jpg

sixstringsteve

Nice, it looks like it's working.

Mine have about twice as many holes. To prime the penny stoves, you kinda have to soak the entire thing in alcohol until it gets warm enough. Don't put the penny on until the burners are lit.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Nice, it looks like it's working.

Mine have about twice as many holes. To prime the penny stoves, you kinda have to soak the entire thing in alcohol until it gets warm enough. Don't put the penny on until the burners are lit.

yea I got reading the thread after I posted it and noticed that most had 16 holes vs the 8 I have. I'll probably try doubling the holes and get something shallower for a priming pan so I can get the fire going around it until it gets up to temperature.

So I missed it the first time around and saw the link with the heavy walled stove where they roll it with the bottom they turned into a die, have you had a chance to try to make one yet?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
No, i haven't been able to find an aluminum bottle without beer in it.

I don't normally drink bud light but for the sake of this thread I picked up a 15 pack of the bud light AL bottles today. I will rinse them good when I'm done and bring a few down for you next time I see you Steve if you are still looking for some. I'm surprised at how solid these bottles really are.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well my first try didn't turn out so well. But I did prove to myself that I can do it so it's all good, now to drink more beers so I can try again.