General Tech What did you work on Today?

DAA

Thoughts on sound deadening mat, is it worth it? Figured I was already this far why not. This is just some Amazon mat that has good reviews, lays down and adheres really well. My one concern is trapping moisture, but figure if I seal the ends well it should be fine. Goal is to get the carpet in today.

View attachment 157093

I sound deadened the crap out of my LJ. Layer of butyl, then a layer of closed cell thermal insulation, then a layer of mass loaded vinyl sound barrier. Made a heck of a noticeable difference. I only did the tub though. I haven't messed with the doors yet. Meant to last summer, never got around to it. Maybe this summer. I have all the materials already.

- DAA

ID Bronco

iu

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Not exactly today, but on the 18th I drove to get some railroad ties at CalRanch (which I know about thanks to RME) - FYI, CalRanch is about $5 more per tie the the orange and blue stores, but they have them in stock in mid Feb, and the other guys don't... but it was a warm before the storm saturday, and the truck had been sitting all day, so I rolled the windows down for the drive. First stop, I heard unpleasant sounds coming from the front brakes. Checked through the wheel when I got to CalRanch, and though the rotor was fine, I didn't appear to have much pad left.
Yeah... not a lot of pad left at all. Rotors were both fine, and after lubing the mostly exposed piston, and removing a baster full of brake fluid per side, the calipers collapsed, and my brakes are happy again, just in time to turn the truck mostly brown in snowmageddon.

Attachments

• 20230219_151402.jpg
    20230219_151402.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230219_161203.jpg
    20230219_161203.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230222_173959.jpg
    20230222_173959.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 34

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Finished installing my radio. Had to modify the ram mount for the iPad to fit the base for the radio but worked out really slick. Solid as a rock should be way better than the suction up mount.
B73A131F-2C96-4869-93CF-9DFBB2B6DCED.jpeg

After the first install I discovered I really didn’t like any option for the mic up on the dash. Ordered an extension and ran it down on the side of my seat. Cable tucks nicely in the little console cubby. When it warms up I’ll get the mount stuck on.

881E4610-3346-4512-A209-79F52875A4E4.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This new Toyota ownership thing isn't living up to my expectations. Broke at 75ftlbs. Need to check my torque wrench but it's been torquing all my cars for years, this is the first issue.
View attachment 157676

I just want to know why you had the wheels off of a brand new truck? Lift kit? New tires?

Or just doing Chad things and checking torque specs and grease quantity?

Coco

This new Toyota ownership thing isn't living up to my expectations. Broke at 75ftlbs. Need to check my torque wrench but it's been torquing all my cars for years, this is the first issue.
View attachment 157676

Probably over-torqued by a shop recently. You just got to expose the crack. Was that the only one to fail?

If its a brand new truck, I could see a fault. If it is an older Toyota, lug studs/nuts do wear out over time. Think about it, coming off, going back on, torquing, etc. they are definitely a wear item and will fail at some point.

Subarus are the worst for broken/worn out studs and lug nuts. I despise Subarus.

JeeperG

Well not me cause I'm doing overtime at the actual job. My brother and his neighbor got started on the upholstery for the Fordy Stalker, gonna look sharp I think. All the top panels on the center console are easily removable sheet metal and magnets on two of them so I can access underneath. Exhaust got fixed too since I replaced the headers, I'll be cleaning that up tomorrow.

IMG_20230310_152606.jpg

IMG_20230310_152608.jpg

IMG_20230310_152612.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Saturday morning knocked out a quick hanger/rack to hang long tools from like yardsticks and level.

Started with a length of 2"x 3/16" P&O. Wiped and sanded with radiused corners.
rack1.jpg

Marked out the stud width on the wall.
rack2.jpg

Measured what the distance between hooks should be to accommodate a variety of tools/equipment. Then bent up some hooks from 5/16" O1 drill rod.
rack3.jpg

Holes drilled then reamed to 5/16" for a tight fit.
rack4.jpg

Hooks driven into position and welded on the backside.
rack5.jpg

Hooks masked and some hammered gray paint applied. Last two hooks being unmasked here.
rack6.jpg

Leveled and secured to the wall in the fabrication/machining section of the shop.
rack7.jpg

Couple of yardsticks, level and squares hung.
rack8.jpg

Thanks for looking.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
If its a brand new truck, I could see a fault. If it is an older Toyota, lug studs/nuts do wear out over time. Think about it, coming off, going back on, torquing, etc. they are definitely a wear item and will fail at some point.

Subarus are the worst for broken/worn out studs and lug nuts. I despise Subarus.
To answer @jeeper , no nothing cool.
The truck has 5K miles on it and the tires weren't rotated at the first service. So I was doing that. I know, I'm anal.
I wish I could blame the factory, or tire shop. Since I now buy tires from Colton, I can't blast the tire shop anymore :D.
However, this was when I was putting them back on. Broke 2, then stretched 3 more. I checked my 1/2" snap on torque wrench against my 3/8 CDI and found it is a little off to the plus side, both were set to 75ft lbs. Breaking lug nuts that have never been off and have only served 5K miles at maybe 85ft lbs when the torque spec is 83ft lbs. I'm not impressed.

Tonkaman

To answer @jeeper , no nothing cool.
The truck has 5K miles on it and the tires weren't rotated at the first service. So I was doing that. I know, I'm anal.
I wish I could blame the factory, or tire shop. Since I now buy tires from Colton, I can't blast the tire shop anymore :D.
However, this was when I was putting them back on. Broke 2, then stretched 3 more. I checked my 1/2" snap on torque wrench against my 3/8 CDI and found it is a little off to the plus side, both were set to 75ft lbs. Breaking lug nuts that have never been off and have only served 5K miles at maybe 85ft lbs when the torque spec is 83ft lbs. I'm not impressed.
Yikes that does seem suspect

Coco

Yep, I agree. Even at 85 ft lbs, that doesn't seem right. Those studs in theory should handle up to 100-115 ft lbs, with a recommended torque of 80. A lot of auto manufactures share lug studs, and some mfgs have higher torque ratings. If I was a betting man, I am betting there was a bad batch of lug studs produced.