what do you tow 10k lbs with?

blznnp

dodge megacab with the cummins great truck with a big cab! you can find them around that price!
How many miles though? When I was looking at them if they were in that price range they had more miles than I wanted, but I might have been to picky about it and was looking for lower miles.

STAG

On my grind
My brother sold his 2005 4door cummins w/ 90k miles and 6speed manual trans for 17k. It was in excellent condition. But yes, the back seat was puny in comparison to ford/Chevy

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If you're leaning towards the V-10, search for a 4.30 geared truck. They're hard to find, but anything other than the 4.30 just don't tow well. I wouldn't even consider a V-10 again without the lower gearing.

rollover

Talk to Clutch on here about his Dodge 2500 4x4 Megacab CTD. He pulls the same load as you describes a 27' toy hauler, car trailer and a 21 foot boat all the time. He rig is bone stock except a programmer (uses 1 step up) and gets crazy good mileage (16-22 mpg) fully loaded as I recall from our last hunting trip.

The Dodge is my next rig hands down.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not that I have made up my mind but to be honest I have always thought you should buy what you know how to fix. I know super duties inside and out. I have kind of ruled out the half tons now due to only the Ecoboost having the tow rating I need and they are out of my price range. I talked to the wife today about possibly downsizing the trailer and got a firm NO!!! If I can find a DMAX with under 150K for under $17K I will seriously consider it. I have never driven a Dodge. I have ridden in a few and they were OK. The Cummins motor is rock solid, no doubt about it. The rest of the truck I really don't care for. The back seat in the regular crew cab is a joke. It is the same size as a Chevy extended cab. The mega cab is a different story but then you loose bed length. Another thing I don't like about the Dodge is every one I have seen have a console in the middle of the front seat on the floor, even if they have a middle seat, where do you put your feet?

I'm going to go look at an 05 V10 CC Long bed tomorrow. The 05 is the more reliable 3 valve and has more HP and torque not to mention integrated trailer brake. I'll post how I like it.

J Kimmel

FWIW I've got a 2006 superduty with the V10 and 430 gears. Its an extended cab lariat with 59K miles (not sure if you have to have CC)

shoot me a PM if you want more info

If you're leaning towards the V-10, search for a 4.30 geared truck. They're hard to find, but anything other than the 4.30 just don't tow well. I wouldn't even consider a V-10 again without the lower gearing.

tnels

man you should talk to mombobuggy about v10's he tows his buggy and if i remimber right he gets like 10 mpg and thats not 10k lbs his is the superduty excab long bed my vote is still mega cab but your right about the center seat up front is a joke guess they think its a todler set if it would ever get used!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I currently get between 9 and 12 towing with my diesel. I have never got above 12 towing with any of my diesels. Once you consider diesel fuel has been between $0.20 and $1.00 a gallon more since about 1999 or 2000 it makes up the small difference in fuel mileage. Then consider the 14 quarts of oil and an $18 filter for a diesel compared to $50 for good oil and filter on a gas motor. The diesel cost start to add up. I only put 5-7K miles on my Excursion a year. I have done cost comparisons and if the V10 gets 10mpg and the diesel gets 12 (which is my average over the last 22 months), the cost difference to drive 5k miles a year is under $100. That is taking the average I have paid for gas and diesel in the last 12 months and projecting that out. If you loose one injector on the diesel add at least $500. If you need to change the air filter, they are $80. I love diesels when I'm pulling. I know I will miss the power if I buy a gas motor but I am starting to see the numbers just don't warrant a diesel. Does that mean I won't buy one, no. I am just leaning more towards a gas motor now. Show me a purdy PSD with all the right numbers and color/configuration and I'll bite. I'm a gearhead after all.

tnels

My 02 dodge Cummins gets 16 mpg pulling my buggy Iand I have 37" tires on it but its not 10k lbs wow I am surprised you were getting such terrible mileage good luck with the search for the v10 sounds like that may be a good choice for you when ya buy one post up some pics.so we can all see her!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
FWIW I've got a 2006 superduty with the V10 and 430 gears. Its an extended cab lariat with 59K miles (not sure if you have to have CC)

shoot me a PM if you want more info

Thanks for the offer but ya I need a crew cab.

The truck I was going to look at this morning sold last night. Back to the search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blznnp

My 02 dodge Cummins gets 16 mpg pulling my buggy Iand I have 37" tires on it but its not 10k lbs wow I am surprised you were getting such terrible mileage good luck with the search for the v10 sounds like that may be a good choice for you when ya buy one post up some pics.so we can all see her!

man, I am lucky if I get that mpg on the freeway unloaded

tnels

Really umm mine is almost stock built tranny quadzilla adrenaline chip airdog fuel pump and four inch exhaust with a muffler I drove back from Ogden and was getting 20 mpg as my average with 37"tires

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Really umm mine is almost stock built tranny quadzilla adrenaline chip airdog fuel pump and four inch exhaust with a muffler I drove back from Ogden and was getting 20 mpg as my average with 37"tires

My overhead always told me about 18-22 mpg (2004 truck) but my wallet always told me about 14-18 mpg (very RPM/aerodynamic dependant-similar to other deezels). Towing was about 12-14. Nothing to sneeze at as it's better than the PowerStroke it replaced, but I sure paid for the Dodge the Cummins was wrapped in. My Cummins was pretty stock with 285 tires and an Edge EZ. For my $, I'll stick to the F*rd as it's just an overall better truck. People love their Cummins. I'm not one that can put up with the truck it's wrapped up in.